• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

8 minutes ago, GodMan said:

The Jews thought that "Honor thy Sabbath day to keep it holy" meant a day to be holier than the rest of the week.

And if Christ decreed that the eighth day be kept holy, then that satisfies the requirement for sanctifying the sabbath (which becomes the Christian sabbath).

35 minutes ago, GodMan said:

Those who are born again are on their way to God's Sabbath day rest forever. The "Sabbath Day Rest" is a symbolic term that means the same thing as Eternal Life. 

Correct.  Those who are in Christ are also in His eternal rest. They do not work for their salvation but rest wholly on Christ and His finished work of redemption.

3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: (Hebrews 4:3-6).

In the meantime, God has provided the Lord's Day as the Christian sabbath, for both worship and rest.

37 minutes ago, GodMan said:

Those who are worshiping the beast of Daniel have all sorts of traditions and laws to live by. 

What has this irrelevant comment do to with the Lord's Day, which has nothing to do with traditions and laws? The apostle John was "in the Spirit" on the Lord's Day? Have you given any thought to that statement? And the Beast of Daniel has yet to come on this earth.

Guest shiloh357
2 minutes ago, GodMan said:

Argument doesn't come from Christ. The day of the Lord happens after the 1,000 year reign of Christ which has actually ended this spring. Now we're just waiting for the whole earth to start shaking violently to end this first generation of people which was only a temporary age so that God could reveal to us who we are and how He created us with His thoughts. 

The Lord's Day and the "Day of the Lord" are two different things.   The "Day of the Lord" is eschatological and has nothing to do with John being in the Spirit on the Lord's Day.

19 minutes ago, GodMan said:

<snip>The day of the Lord happens after the 1,000 year reign of Christ which has actually ended this spring. <snip>

Christ has not even returned yet, let alone set up His kingdom. Revelation 19 is pretty specific about that; the Lord returns at Armageddon then sets up His kingdom. Not to mention the entire Tribulation is the Lord's wrath and not just the Second Coming.

I'm guessing you believe in postmillenialism.

Edited by RobertS

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

Looks like GodMan is gone man. His posts have disappeared as he seems to have as well.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

15 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

Sabbath is a day of rest, not necessarily a day of assembly.   Going to church isn't about keeping a commandment to assemble, and is never couched that way in the New Testament.   The reason we assemble on Sunday is has to do with fellowship and worship.  This is one way we connect with God and with one another.  We draw encouragement, strength and peace as we worship God together and study God's word together.   There is no biblical reason why a true follower of Jesus would want to avoid it.

We care because of the benefit that is drawn from fellowshipping together with like-minded believers.  It's not a case of slavish obedience, as if we are there to appease God.   God doesn't need to be appeased.  Worship is God's gift to us that we offer back up to Him.

Our Sabbath rest is found in Jesus.  The Sabbath day is a picture of Jesus, who is the ultimate Sabbath.   Jesus is our rest from sin, our rest from trying to earn God's favor.  It is our rest from any attempt to be saved by own merit.  Locus of our salvation is the merit of the finished work of Jesus on the cross.  God the Father raised Him from the dead, proving that He was satisfied with Jesus' sacrifice and it is fully sufficient and efficacious for us all. 

The Sabbath day  was for Israel.  The true Sabbath is Jesus and is for everyone. 

Thanks Shiloh,

Next question.  You said the reason Christians assemble on Sunday has to do with fellowship and worship.  If the interpretation that the others on this forum have given of Romans 14 is about the Sabbath and everyone should be convinced in his own mind of the day they go and worship why is it accepted by all Christianity as THE DAY or the Lord's Day?  I mean it would seem that since there is no sabbath commandment for the Christian that church would be open all of the time. (I know there are some who do have services just about everyday...lol) 

We care because of the benefit that is drawn from fellowshipping together with like-minded believers.  It's not a case of slavish obedience, as if we are there to appease God.   God doesn't need to be appeased.  Worship is God's gift to us that we offer back up to Him.

Do Jewish people in general feel that the Sabbath is a slavish obedience to please or appease God?  

The Sabbath day  was for Israel.  The true Sabbath is Jesus and is for everyone. 

Does this mean that the Sabbath day is no longer for Israel since Jesus is the new Sabbath?  If a Jew finds Jesus are they no longer bound to keep the Sabbath though they are still a Jew?

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Remnantrob said:

Thanks Shiloh,

Next question.  You said the reason Christians assemble on Sunday has to do with fellowship and worship.  If the interpretation that the others on this forum have given of Romans 14 is about the Sabbath and everyone should be convinced in his own mind of the day they go and worship why is it accepted by all Christianity as THE DAY or the Lord's Day?  I mean it would seem that since there is no sabbath commandment for the Christian that church would be open all of the time. (I know there are some who do have services just about everyday...lol) 

Well, the interpretations of others about Romans 14 is wrong.  It is not talking about the Sabbath.  If it were, then Paul would have mentioned the Sabbath directly.

Romans 14 has to do with extra biblical fast days, not the Sabbath.   The issue pertains to matters of conscience.  If someone wants to honor those days and someone else does not, neither should disparage the other.  The issue also pertained food.  Some could not eat meat for fear it had been dedicated to idols, others had no problem with eating meat.  Same principle applies.  It's a matter of conscience and we need to accept that others will adhere to traditions and rules according to their own inner dictates as they fell led by the Holy Spirit.  I know a guy who fasts every Saturday.  He is a Sunday school teacher and that is part of his preparation for Sunday.  That's his thing.  If that is how the Lord is leading him, that is surely fine with me.  I don't fast, have never been led to fast; but, I respect his view on the matter. 

Every day is the a day of worship.  Worship is never confined to one day a week in the Bible. 

If some church wants to have services every day of the week, fine.   I see nothing inherently wrong with that.  It's their call.  And if the Lord blesses that, who am I to disparage that?  

If someone chooses to honor the Sabbath, that is between them and the Lord.  I will leave it to them.    I know many Messianic Jews who observe the Sabbath AND are active members of a local church and go to services there on Sunday.

Do Jewish people in general feel that the Sabbath is a slavish obedience to please or appease God?  

No, not at all.   It is as much a blessing to them as going to church on Sunday is a blessing to me.

Does this mean that the Sabbath day is no longer for Israel since Jesus is the new Sabbath?  If a Jew finds Jesus are they no longer bound to keep the Sabbath though they are still a Jew?

Of course if they find Jesus, they are not bound to keep the Sabbath day.   We don't live under the Old Testament economy.   Just like we don't have to keep the dietary laws. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

On 10/9/2016 at 11:24 AM, AndyMan said:

If I was to ask God, "God which is the sabbath day of the week, Saturday or Sunday ?" Which day would he say. 

God bless.

AndyMan 

Depends on how you mean "day."

Day = day of the week or era of time.

Day of the week: Saturday, of course.

Era of time: everyday of the week this side of the cross (the activation of the New Covenant / Testament in the blood of the Savior our Messiah.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 10/25/2016 at 9:02 AM, Remnantrob said:

I think you meant Colossians 2:14-17

Let's sum up what we've read here:

1) The laws he was talking about is the "ordinances" which are carnal, not the moral law of the 10 Commandments which are spiritual.

2) The laws he mentioned were written by hand, but the moral law of the 10 Commandments were not written by hand but by the finger of God. (Ex. 31:18)

3) The laws he is referring to were always "against" the people.  Compared to Deut. 31:26 we see that it was the book of the law that contained curses and ordinances that was against the people.

Also notice that vs 16 spoke of meat or drink or in respect of an holy day or of the new moon.  If you look at the sabbath commandment in Exodus 20 it mentions nothing of meat, drink, or new moons.  Therefore one can see that there has to be more it this judging than the weekly. Sabbath.  Notice in Leviticus 23:37,38 it mentions those characteristics.

Yikes....!!! that is what I meant.  Oy Vey!