• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

2 hours ago, Bible_Gazer said:

Interesting, does it read that the person that is sick is asking for prayer from the elder(minister). Seem like confession is to be made first, then the elder could by the oil showing a sign to others the person has made it right in their sins and then they can now pray for him.

1 Timothy 5:22
 Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure.

I also see it that the oil is not the healing power, its the prayer in this case.

The one in Mark, I  think the oil did represent the Holy Spirit blessing.

Any thoughts on this ?

Yes I agree, it's not the oil that heals, but if we are told to do it, it would be obedience. I like the rest of your post, I'm going to think on it, thanks!

Guest BacKaran

This is so timely you soon brought tears to my eyes. I'm going to see my dad with my daughter today and I going to anoint his forehead with frankincense myrrh while I prayed.

I've been humming All to Jesus I surrender... All morning.

And it is well with my soul 

God is love, comfort, peace and Truth. He's all I need today, hallelujah!

Ok, older sister was with dad and later his doctor so I didn't have the opportunity to pray and rub oil on dad today. ....

Edited by BacKaran

Guest shiloh357
On 12/11/2016 at 3:15 PM, hmbld said:

James 5:14-16  Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Mark 6:13  “And they cast out many devils, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed them.” 

The first passage indicates the elders of the church are to pray and anoint in oil, is this something we are directed to do in obedience, or has this practice ceased and why?

It was most likely a medicinal oil that is referenced in James.  They had various oils like Hyssop oil that was used for illnesses and such. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

The power, is it within the oil?

Within the Elder?

Or; is it of God  and God alone, made manifest in the faith of Jesus that   faith filled elders may call upon even today?

John Piper's sermon/commentary suggests that he has concluded for himself that it might be individual Elder's lack of faith at some churches that  may be the issue preventing healing,  and not the  lack of the gift itself.

Reference to  his talk on the subject  may be found at http://www.desiringgod.org/messages/the-elders-the-people-and-the-prayer-of-faith

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

43 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

It was most likely a medicinal oil that is referenced in James.  They had various oils like Hyssop oil that was used for illnesses and such. 

Then this is instruction to pray and take common medicine?

Guest shiloh357
Just now, hmbld said:

Then this is instruction to pray and take common medicine?

Why not?  Our generation sensationalizes anointing oil.  It is  a merchandising scam.   The word "anoint" means to rub.   When you anointed with oil it was applied and rubbed liberally over the person or object.   Anointing. in theological usage, was a reference to  consecration to service. 

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

The Prayer of Faith
13Is any one of you suffering? He should pray. Is anyone cheerful? He should sing praises. 14Is any oneof you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15And the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick. The Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven.… James 5:14

I believe it is still Biblical for the elders  anoint with oil for the sick but God will hear the same prayer if prayed in faith, I don't think there is a "Yes" or "No " answer ,either way is good, God will hear and answer our prayer if we trust Him for the results..

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

3 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

When you anointed with oil it was applied and rubbed liberally over the person or object. 

Actually it could also be pouring of oil on the head.  That is why it flowed down from Aaron's head, to his beard, and downwards "to the skirts of his garments" (Ps 133:2)

3 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

Anointing. in theological usage, was a reference to  consecration to service. 

That was one application, but in James that is not the purpose of anointing.  It is clearly related to physical healing.

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  6,539
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

Shalom, everyone.

Doesn't anyone go to the original languages when one wants to know what is meant? 

"Maashach" (from which comes "Maashiyach" or "Messiah," which = "Christos" in Greek or "Christ") means "to RUB" or "to MASSAGE" or "to PAINT!"

This word in Hebrew was translated into Greek as "aleipsontes" in James 5:14 (Strong's NT:218). The word was used in Matthew 6:17; Mark 6:13; 16:1; Luke 7:38, 46 (twice); John 11:2; 12:3; and James 5:14, for a total of 9 times, and from these contexts, this word "aleifoo" was used the same way as its Hebrew counterpart.

It does NOT mean "to pour!"

Guest BacKaran

Thanks Ezra

I just asked my elder if I could anoint my dying dad.

He used the same verses you did and since my dad is not saved, I can't anoint him with oil. And Only elders should do this so my dad, who's still lost in The Roman Catholic Church, would not be anointed anyway.

I said my last good byes today, giving dad the gospel message and that only he can choose Jesus' free gift of salvation. 

To God be the glory and I pray my dad will hear Jesus whispering his nam!e