• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.65
  • Days Won:  25

1 minute ago, shiloh357 said:

Materialism isn't about  a man having wealth.

Even those who are not wealthy can be materialistic.

Non Sequitur much? 

Guest shiloh357
Just now, Running Gator said:

Non Sequitur much? 

No, I am simply explaining what materialism actually is.   One can be rich without being materialistic.    One can not be rich, but be consumed with material possessions, like having to have the latest, greatest Smart Phone or other device, or amassing possessions or money.   That can happen to anyone rich or poor.   So simply claiming that someone is materialistic simply because they are wealthy demonstrates a fundamental ignorance of what it means to be "materialistic."

Just now, shiloh357 said:

No, I am simply explaining what materialism actually is.   One can be rich without being materialistic.    One can not be rich, but be consumed with material possessions, like having to have the latest, greatest Smart Phone or other device, or amassing possessions or money.   That can happen to anyone rich or poor.   So simply claiming that someone is materialistic simply because they are wealthy demonstrates a fundamental ignorance of what it means to be "materialistic."

But that is not what anyone is doing.  Nobody is saying he is materialistic just because he is rich, but because of his lifestyle, because of his material possessions. 

The pictures I posted are not just those of a rich man, they are a pure example of materialism.  There are a lot of very rich people, many that are way richer than Trump that do not live in a gold plated home.  

No honest person can look at those pictures and say the person who lives there is not consumed with material possessions

If this were anybody but Trump everyone would agree those pictures are a perfect example of materialism, but once again you are totally incapable of any sort of even remotely negative thought when it comes to Trump.  

Guest shiloh357
11 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

But that is not what anyone is doing.  Nobody is saying he is materialistic just because he is rich, but because of his lifestyle, because of his material possessions. 

Which is a self-defeating sentence.

The pictures I posted are not just those of a rich man, they are a pure example of materialism.

No, they are not pictures of materialism.

There are a lot of very rich people, many that are way richer than Trump that do not live in a gold plated home.  

So what?  They can live any way they want and so can Trump.  That doesn't make any of them more or less materialistic.

No honest person can look at those pictures and say the person who lives there is not consumed with material possessions

An "honest" person would recognize the difference between being rich and being consumed with material possessions.

If this were anybody but Trump everyone would agree those pictures are a perfect example of materialism, but once again you are totally incapable of any sort of even remotely negative thought when it comes to Trump.  

No, because I know people who are really rich and live pretty nice homes and have more than one of them and they are pretty down to earth people and want to be known for who they are, and not for their wealth.   I have known poor people who are always trying to live "richer" than they have the means to and are consumed in wearing designer clothes while they live in trailer.   I have relatives who cannot stand it when someone down the street buys a better care they have.  They judge other people by what they wear, where they live, what they drive, and it is really annoying. THAT's materialism.

If it were anyone but Trump, no one would care how rich a president is.   And no one would be posting stuff on WBs decrying that person's materialism.   You only care about materialism insomuch as you can use it as a platform to smear Trump.

:rolleyes:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,319
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, Running Gator said:

So, would these fall under wealth or materialism... :24:

SF-OTTO_TR_A95SF46-106.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Wealth.... :P

did you ever think that maybe he was tired of all that gold and wanted to move to a new house.....    why not trade in the Gold for White.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

27 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

The pictures I posted are not just those of a rich man, they are a pure example of materialism.  There are a lot of very rich people, many that are way richer than Trump that do not live in a gold plated home.  

While I agree with you, the matter of perspective comes into play also.  If I was a child of poverty in a third world country, literally starving with no home, I might judge you the same way you judge Trump.  This is all a matter of judging through one's own perspective.  Trump's normal is not your normal.

9 minutes ago, hmbld said:

While I agree with you, the matter of perspective comes into play also.  If I was a child of poverty in a third world country, literally starving with no home, I might judge you the same way you judge Trump.  This is all a matter of judging through one's own perspective.  Trump's normal is not your normal.

I do agree that it is all relative, but in our society Trump's normal is not really anyone's normal.   I am not saying this to bash him, it is just a fact.  If his apartment is not the very epitome of excess and materialism, what would be?   

He is more than welcome to his money, I do not begrudge him it nor am I jealous of him, God has blessed my family mightily and I have no room to complain at all. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

1 hour ago, shiloh357 said:

Nothing wrong with being rich....

... not when your wealth and international holdings pose a conflict of interest; even the appearance of that would be wrong.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

1 hour ago, shiloh357 said:

No, I am simply explaining what materialism actually is....

I have a dictionary that explains meanings, e.g., "a desire for wealth and material possessions with little interest in ethical or spiritual matters."