• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Content Per Day:  0.90
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  12/26/1963

10 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

First off, you are not a professor teaching a class. 

I never claimed I was or teaching a class.

No one in their right mind believes your theories. 

It's not 'Mine' and it's not 'Theories'.

Define a 'Right Mind'...?

Second, I didn't say YOU touted Heiser's words, I said flat earthers are doing that....and they are

But I'm a 'Flat Earther' and I touted his words.  That's why we're discussing Heiser's Work here and now.

Third, why do you think because you tell anyone anything that they are supposed to believe it?

Because I SUPPORT the 'anythings'.

Not how the SPINNING BALL world works

The only working 'Spinning Balls' are in Disco's.

And fourth, you can't 'admonish' me or anyone else; you're just another poster and your opinions are no more important than anyone else's here.

1.  I'm not expressing my "Opinions" (Subjective).  I'm expressing Objective Facts and SUPPORTING them.  Big Difference.

2.  I'm admonished to admonish you...

(2 Timothy 3:16) "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:"

The flat earth theory is a crock

It's not a "Theory".

WHY is it a crock...?

and I don't believe anyone in 2017 is seriously trying to argue it's validity.

Because it's SUPPORTED.  What does 2017 have to do with anything?

Good grief.

Again feigned exasperations are not coherent arguments/positions.

regards

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  5,240
  • Content Per Day:  2.10

John Hobson's translation of a passage of Augustine of Hippo's De Genisi ad litteram (The Literal Meaning of Genesis):

Often, a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other parts of the world, about the motions and orbits of the stars and even their sizes and distances, … and this knowledge he holds with certainty from reason and experience. It is thus offensive and disgraceful for an unbeliever to hear a Christian talk nonsense about such things, claiming that what he is saying is based in Scripture. We should do all we can to avoid such an embarrassing situation, which people see as ignorance in the Christian and laugh to scorn.

The shame is not so much that an ignorant person is laughed at, but rather that people outside the faith believe that we hold such opinions, and thus our teachings are rejected as ignorant and unlearned. If they find a Christian mistaken in a subject that they know well and hear him maintaining his foolish opinions as based on our teachings, how are they going to believe these teachings in matters concerning the resurrection of the dead, the hope of eternal life, and the kingdom of heaven, when they think these teachings are filled with fallacies about facts which they have learnt from experience and reason.

Reckless and presumptuous expounders of Scripture bring about much harm when they are caught in their mischievous false opinions by those not bound by our sacred texts. And even more so when they then try to defend their rash and obviously untrue statements by quoting a shower of words from Scripture and even recite from memory passages which they think will support their case ‘without understanding either what they are saying or what they assert with such assurance.’ (1 Timothy 1:7)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

13 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

Well, I read through all of the Scripture and I would say that it does not say the Earth is flat; it's simply interpretation.  As for Dr. Michael Houser, he has disavowed the claims by one flat earther who posted that Dr. Houser believed in a flat earth so he cannot be used as proof of anything.  From robschannel.com, quote from Dr. Michael Houser:

“My position is straightforward. The biblical writers do indeed describe a flat round earth (with other features the flat earthers skip; see below). They wrote about the world this way because they lived at a time before knowledge of the natural world was sufficient to demonstrate otherwise. But I don’t believe the earth is really flat “because the Bible tells me so.” The knowledge the biblical writers had of their physical surroundings isn’t a truth proposition for biblical theology. Anyone who uses my work to prop up this idea without providing a disclaimer that I reject modern flat earth thinking is unprincipled and deliberately dishonest.”

This is exactly what I wrote of before in this thread that Enoch 2021 took issue with. Heiser is a very good source for early Hebrew and Mesopotamian knowledge. Heiser said they were writing from their world view (not ours) so understandably they will weave into the text things that are strange to us. I suggested God did not care about this, since He did not want to give 21st century medical and scientific education to these people. Stuff they could not easily understand anyway. The reason I said the Lord did not care was that HE DID NOT, OBVIOUSLY mind at all. It was in Keeping with His plan. Ergo, it is what it is. The early writers were NOT giving us a scientific treatise, they were giving us the salient details that our Creator wanted them to pass on to us.

Dr. Heiser is quite correct in my opinion. It is well worth watching his videos: Unseen Realm and others.

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

1 hour ago, Enoch2021 said:

I never claimed I was or teaching a class.

It's not 'Mine' and it's not 'Theories'.

Define a 'Right Mind'...?

But I'm a 'Flat Earther' and I touted his words.  That's why we're discussing Heiser's Work here and now.

Because I SUPPORT the 'anythings'.

The only working 'Spinning Balls' are in Disco's.

1.  I'm not expressing my "Opinions" (Subjective).  I'm expressing Objective Facts and SUPPORTING them.  Big Difference.

2.  I'm admonished to admonish you...

(2 Timothy 3:16) "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:"

It's not a "Theory".

WHY is it a crock...?

Because it's SUPPORTED.  What does 2017 have to do with anything?

Again feigned exasperations are not coherent arguments/positions.

regards

You have said absolutely nothing beyond your opinion.  Everyone has them and you are just as entitled to them as anyone.  I am not exasperated; I am amazed that anyone believes the flat earth theory when it was abandoned over five centuries ago.  Logic has to enter the picture at some point.  I sincerely hope that casual readers here at Worthy realize that this theory is held by a tiny fraction of Christians.

1 hour ago, Justin Adams said:

This is exactly what I wrote of before in this thread that Enoch 2021 took issue with. Heiser is a very good source for early Hebrew and Mesopotamian knowledge. Heiser said they were writing from their world view (not ours) so understandably they will weave into the text things that are strange to us. I suggested God did not care about this, since He did not want to give 21st century medical and scientific education to these people. Stuff they could not easily understand anyway. The reason I said the Lord did not care was that HE DID NOT, OBVIOUSLY mind at all. It was in Keeping with His plan. Ergo, it is what it is. The early writers were NOT giving us a scientific treatise, they were giving us the salient details that our Creator wanted them to pass on to us.

Dr. Heiser is quite correct in my opinion. It is well worth watching his videos: Unseen Realm and others.

Yes, I agree.  Trying to wrangle the Bible into a science book is ridiculous.  I have visited the flat earther sites and they do indeed try to use Dr. Heiser as 'proof'.  And he has posted a withering denial to their claims.  We have to live in the world that IS, not the one we imagine it should be.  God laid out the universe in an orderly fashion, He set gravity and other physical laws in motion.  He is not bound by them but His creation IS.  A flat earth could not have the gravity needed to function; a domed earth could not be assaulted by meteors and asteroids.  If there is no space out there then we are sending rockets and people up on imaginary voyages and everyone in the world is lying about it. A massive conspiracy to make people think the earth is a spinning ball would have NO benefits for anyone.  No benefit, no conspiracy. As I have said before, logic has to come in at some point or we descend into  fantasy.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

You have said absolutely nothing beyond your opinion.

First look up the definition of "Opinion" then...

2.  Show each claim I made and validate it as an "Opinion" so as to SUPPORT your claim...?

I am not exasperated

You feigned exasperation. "Good Grief".

I am amazed that anyone believes the flat earth theory when it was abandoned over five centuries ago.

Argument to Age (Fallacy).

Logic has to enter the picture at some point.

Post the Syllogism then show where it's Invalid...? (To SUPPORT your claim)

I sincerely hope that casual readers here at Worthy realize that this theory is held by a tiny fraction of Christians.

Again it's not a "Theory"...and appealing to Numbers/Consensus is Fallacious.

regards

1 hour ago, one.opinion said:

John Hobson's translation of a passage of Augustine of Hippo's De Genisi ad litteram (The Literal Meaning of Genesis):

Could it be that this is what is behind this nonsensical flat earth theory?  Just one more attempt to make Christianity look as rickety and ignorant as the worship of tiki gods?  I'm thinking it's plausible.

2 minutes ago, Enoch2021 said:

First look up the definition of "Opinion" then...

2.  Show each claim I made and validate it as an "Opinion" so as to SUPPORT your claim...?

You feigned exasperation. "Good Grief".

Argument to Age (Fallacy).

Post the Syllogism then show where it's Invalid...? (To SUPPORT your claim)

Again it's not a "Theory"...and appealing to Numbers/Consensus is Fallacious.

regards

I don't respond to orders to post anything.  Your theory is beyond the realm of logic or reason and very, very few people see it as anything other than backwards and laughable.  Either you really believe this nonsense or you are pulling our collective leg.  Either way, you aren't convincing anyone who hasn't bought the lie of anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Justin Adams said:

Heiser is a very good source for early Hebrew and Mesopotamian knowledge.

Not their Knowledge, their "Languages".

Heiser said they were writing from their world view (not ours)

The AUTHOR of the Bible is "GOD", not the Penman.

"God-Breathed".

So your (and Heiser's) Entire Appeal is "Debunked" right there.  

regards

2 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

I don't respond to orders to post anything. 

Not orders :rolleyes:, a Call to SUPPORT your Claims.  Since you won't, your claims are Baseless Ipse Dixit 'bare' Assertion Fallacies.

Your theory

Again, it's not "Mine" and it's not a "Theory". 

is beyond the realm of logic or reason and very, very few people see it as anything other than backwards and laughable.

Generalized Sweeping Ipse Dixit Baseless 'bare' Assertion Fallacy (x5)

regards