IGNORED

I Thes 5:22

Running Gator

Guest shiloh357
3 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

Oh. That's interesting. I wonder what that would be? How would one be living in a manner that makes them appear evil? There are so many many things that can come to mind. So many many things that can make someone appear to be evil to someone else.  When they are not evil at all.  I am very open and accepting of anyone regardless of what they may look like, so I can't just look at someone and say "well they appear evil".  So I don't really get this "appearance of evil stuff".  So Anyway, If you could? I will welcome your input on what kind of things would make a person appear to be evil. I find it interesting to understand how other people think. 

Did you even read what I wrote?    The Greek word, "poneron" is a word that speaks to wickedness, corruption, immorality, lawlessness. 

This not a word that speaks to something that is totally arbitrary.  It speaks to what anyone can understand as "evil."

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

... Language and how we speak changes over time. The meanings and such. So it maybe that the KJV was right at the time it was written for. But not so much now.  

re Prager U, "Thou shalt not kill" meant not to commit murder.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

20 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

I'm not sure what I said that got you going here...

Ask him about baptízō and you'll understand.

https://www.studylight.org/lexicons/greek/907.html

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.70
  • Days Won:  25

8 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Did you even read what I wrote?    The Greek word, "poneron" is a word that speaks to wickedness, corruption, immorality, lawlessness. 

This not a word that speaks to something that is totally arbitrary.  It speaks to what anyone can understand as "evil."

So, what is wicked, corrupt, immoral, or lawless about riding in car alone with a member of the opposite gender that is not your spouse or close family member?

So, what is wicked, corrupt, immoral, or lawless about eating a meal alone with a member of the opposite gender that is not your spouse or close family member?

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

32 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Yes I read what you wrote. I really did not think my reply to this post was going to cause such an upset. Really I simply agreed with the Gator with what he said then I added a few lines of my own to say that the KJV may not be wrong. Just outdated in its wording of some things. Now here we are having this debate about something I am not even sure what. Over a post that took me less then 10 minutes to write. :confused:

33 minutes ago, OldSchool2 said:

re Prager U, "Thou shalt not kill" meant not to commit murder.

Yes. That is my understanding of what it means. As there is a lot of killing going on in the Bible. But murder is something else. 

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

Is there a particular reason why I Thess 5:22 can be taken out of its context?  It potentially appears to be a continuation of at least the previous phrase and possibly a continuation of the previous couple of phrases.  As far as I can tell, the translators of various version do not agree on what goes with what.  Below my comments, I've included some examples from English, Spanish, and German showing various punctuations that place this verse with other verses and by itself.   The bottom line is that there is no general agreement on how these various verses fit together with each other.  It seems like pretty much every combination of 19,20,21, and 22 being together or apart appears in one translation or another.

Also, the Greek word εἶδος also appears in Luke 3:22, Luke 9:29, John 5:37, II Cor 5:7, and I Thess 5:22.  The BDAG Lexicon summarizes its main meaning as this: "the shape and structure of something as it appears to someone".

19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not treat prophecies with contempt 21 but test them all; hold on to what is good, 22 reject every kind of evil. (I Thess 5:19-22 NIV)

19 Quench not the Spirit.  20 Despise not prophesyings.  21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.  22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.  (I Thess 5:19-22 KJV)

19 Do not quench the Spirit;20 do not despise prophetic utterances. 21 But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good; 22 abstain from every form of evil. (I Thess 5:19-22 NASB)

19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not despise prophecies, 21 but test everything; hold fast what is good. 22 Abstain from every form of evil. (I Thess 5:19-22 ESV)

19 No apaguen el Espíritu, 20 no desprecien las profecías, 21 sométanlo todo a prueba, aférrense a lo bueno, 22 eviten toda clase de mal.(I Thess 5:19-22 NVI)

19 No apaguéis el Espíritu. 20 No menospreciéis las profecías. 21 Examinadlo todo; retened lo bueno. 22 Apartaos de toda especie de mal. (I Thess 5:19-22 RVA)

19 Den Geist dämpfet nicht, 20 die Weissagung verachtet nicht; 21 prüfet aber alles, und das Gute behaltet. 22 Meidet allen bösen Schein.  (I These 5:19-22 1545 Luther Bible)

19 Den Geist dämpft nicht! 20 Die Weissagung verachtet nicht! 21 Prüft alles, das Gute behaltet! 22 Haltet euch fern von dem Bösen in jeglicher Gestalt! (I Thess 5:19-22 Schlachter 2000)

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

I've just looked up 'eidos' in a Greek Lexicon (Arndt & Gingrich).

It is a word with more than one meaning. It can mean 'form' or 'outward appearance'. It can also mean 'kind'. It can also mean 'seeing' or 'sight' (as in II Corinthians 5:7)

So both translations are correct!

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Davida said:

It's a way to slice off the edges of God's convicting scripture

So the original scripture was written in King James? Hmmmm........:39:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.70
  • Days Won:  25

25 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

So the original scripture was written in King James? Hmmmm........:39:

That is what some would have people believe.