IGNORED

What does it mean to "keep the Sabbath"? (Read question's description)

listener24

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

On 1/12/2018 at 3:57 AM, listener24 said:

Since I'm on this forum I'm reading countless threads about "keeping the Sabbath" (that's quite surprising cause I've never heard about these discussions elsewhere before, didn't know it was such an "hot topic" or relevant one in Christianity).

My question is: what does it mean to "keep the Sabbath"?

What a believer should practically do on Saturday to "keep the Sabbath"?

I've no idea about it because I usually read the Gospel and I don't find any indication on how a believer should concretely "keep the Sabbath", in other words I don't find any description on what's so special that a believer should do on Saturday, and not on Monday or Wednesday, in Jesus' words (let alone Thursday).

Nor I find anything special that Jesus was doing on Saturday, except doing the exact same things He was doing on other days, like Friday, and this way making some Pharisees angry because they didn't want Him to perform the same things He was doing on other days. (Mark 3:2, John 5:16-17, Matthew 12:10, and so on, like: "So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jewish leaders began to persecute him. In his defense Jesus said to them, "My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.")

So I sincerely don't know what someone should do to "keep the Sabbath", after reading every single Jesus' word in the Gospel, I don't find even a clue in His words.

I think the whole point of the sabbath is to give us a day's rest each week. The Lord taught us the sabbath was for us - not the other way around. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,088
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

so what will happen if I work on the sabbath?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, Betha said:

EVERYTHING God does and makes has a particular purpose that will be achieved if adhered to. It is obvious that MAN has MEDDLED with God's HOLY DAY and christians for worse have even MOVED it to another day !!!  Moving GOD's foundational CORNERSTONE will have dire consequences for sinful men !!! 

Man didn't move God's Holy Day, God Himself did:

And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the LORD hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the LORD fought for Israel. Jos 10:13, 14

On that day God added 5 1/4 days to the orbit of the earth around the Sun, changing the earth's orbit from a 360 day year to a 365 1/4 day year, let's say it happened on a the second day of the week, Israel keep their Sabbath on the seventh, which was only off 1/4 day, but the next week the Lord's Holy Day wasn't on their seventh day, why because 5 1/4 days had been added to their calendar, what does that tell us thousands of years later, ...we don't know what day is the day God appointed for His Holy Day, ...so, if you are saying THE seventh day of the week is THE Holy Day of God you are just as guilty of moving His Day too, and you too will suffer dire consequences, exactly like the Holy Spirit taught through Paul:

Who also hath made us able ministers of the New Testament; not of the letter (Law), but of the Spirit: for the letter (Law) killeth, but the Spirit giveth life.  2 Cor 3:6

God is so wise, He knew exactly the false doctrine the ex-Millerites would present to the world, ...and just like He confused the language at Babel, He changed the calendar so that people wouldn't make an idol out of a shadow, Jesus is the Sabbath, clear and simple, ...but just like man has rebuilt the tower of Babel today in Belgium, so has man made an idol out of the Sabbath. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

16 minutes ago, pinacled said:

Have you ever considered that the letter that killeth', is the certificate/letter of divorce?

Then there is the 7th and 8th day.

"Give a portion to 7 and 8".

[ "For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day."]

Clear as mud . Is that your aim? It’s a good way to disguise a lack of knowledge and sound “ deep” at the same time . I am certain this can’t apply to you .

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Betha said:

which 'work' are you referring to ...your own or the 'good works of God, which we are allowed to do ?

that's not what the old testament says.....   "NO WORK"....   that's what it says      and that's what the people accused Jesus of doing and he "admitted" he was working on the sabbath.  Jesus was doing his job on the sabbath  while he was here...   You are not to kindle a fire on the sabbath.....    do you start your car?????    that's kindling a fire...   actually little explosions...   if you do start your car, you should be stoned to death.

9 hours ago, Betha said:

It would seem to me to be just a little more meaningful than 'resting from our own work. 

The Sabbath (Rest) was after all created and sanctified as a 'period of creation-time by GOD HIMSELF....and designated as HOLY TIME, different from the other days God created. And this particular period of time every 7th day was for MAN to appear/assemble before /with God Lev 23 v3, (in holy convocation) to learn all about the HOLY GOD.

EVERYTHING God does and makes has a particular purpose that will be achieved if adhered to. It is obvious that MAN has MEDDLED with God's HOLY DAY and christians for worse have even MOVED it to another day !!!  Moving GOD's foundational CORNERSTONE will have dire consequences for sinful men !!! 

God has not done with man yet....there is still time to repent and change.....but He will not delay His coming for ever. Remember, Jesus Christ the same yesterday and today and forever....He does not change.....WE must !    

I might disagree with you on one point. The Lord is our teacher, and he is instructing us all week long. It isn't just a Sunday thing.

4 minutes ago, pinacled said:

Perhaps a hebrew perspect where time is fuild. The first day is Yom rishon, head of the week,' derived from Rosh. Like Rosh Hashanah.

From this perspective recall who is the Head of man!!

Is this a discussion about what day we should observe the sabbath?

1 minute ago, pinacled said:

Good afternoon,

I thought it was more of how to observe, ' Who is Holy.

If a person is a temple...then perhaps the how would of been mentioned by a prophet.

Blessed be he that was, is, and is to come.

Jesus said nobody is good but the Father. I suspect  you can substitute the word "holy" for "good."

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, pinacled said:

Ever consider comparing these 9 yrs to the 9 fruits of the Spirit?

All provisions in order.

[ "I will ordain My blessing for you in the sixth year, so that it shall yield a crop sufficient for three years."]

no, never have and don't intend to...

• Oy Vey! 1

2 hours ago, Betha said:

Well....there will be the sheep (obedient)

and there will be the goats (disobedient)

so you say I'll go to hell if I don't observe the sabbath....   is that what you are saying.