• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,946
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 minute ago, walla299 said:

Home churches/fellowships can have authority and accountability. They had that in the first century churches, which were house churches. Not a fallacy at all. Paul and the other apostles appointed elders, etc. in the churches they planted. Sorry. Wrong again. Have a nice day.

Modern day Home-fellowships needs to have authority and accountability too. I would't have it any other way.

Have you read John Wesley at all, particularly his diary. His home-fellowships faced intense persecution from the institutional church which burned houses where meetings were held to the ground. Sadly the Methodist Church in NZ has become apostate and heretical.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

On 8/21/2018 at 9:10 PM, Michael37 said:

Thanks for your interest in this thread, Patriot2018. I respectfully submit that the false teaching in focus is that Home fellowships are unbiblical. I recall coming across a Youtube video of "a sermon" from "a pulpit" before "an audience" who where being treated to a list of reasons why Home fellowshipsĀ  were unbiblical. There was nothing that could be validated in Scripture and the rant was evidence of the error known as "heavy shepherding" plus the fear of losing tithes.

Theres nothing wrong with home churches in principle as long as they follow a biblical leadership model, same with a traditional church. The false teachings i was referring to, which you well know is the unbiblical and false leadership model your presenting.

• Group:  Servant

1 minute ago, The_Patriot2018 said:

Theres nothing wrong with hime churches in principle as long as they follow a biblical leadership model, same with a traditional church. The false teachings i was referring to, which you well know is the unbiblical and false leadership model your presenting.

By whose definition is our fellowship false? Patriot2018. We have a plural leadership of elders and an overseer which is all that is required according to the NT. The word deacon has been manipulated into the text where servant is the meaning, and we are servants. Your denomination is bound to be considered false by many others...so it's academic and arbitrary. Thanks for the discussion point.

2 minutes ago, Sojourner414 said:

When someone has to resort to insults, it means that their argument was never very strong to begin with.

Hope you haven't got the pip, Sojourner414.

• 4 years later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

On 8/17/2018 at 12:30 AM, Michael37 said:

Looking forward to koinonia on Sunday. Be travelling away this week.

No-one will be doing a sermon.

We don't do sermons at our ekklesia (assembly).

We do parakleĢ„sis (exhortation).

We do oikodomeĢ„Ā  (edification).

We do diakonia (ministry).

But we don't do sermons.

No sermons.

How do you like them apples?Ā 

I find it sad. In fact, it makes me want to weep. I am reminded of Paul when he wrote to the Romans.

Romans 10:14
New International Version

14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?

Ā 

55 minutes ago, S. Carpenter said:

I find it sad. In fact, it makes me want to weep. I am reminded of Paul when he wrote to the Romans.

Romans 10:14
New International Version

14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?

Ā 

We preach the gospel on the go. Some of us don't do well with the Roman/Greek style of oratory.

The biblical principle is that the diverse gifts and ministrations of the body of Christ should not be stifled by a one size fits all mentality.

Romans 12:6 We have different gifts according to the grace given to us.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  149

On 8/17/2018 at 10:27 AM, Estrella said:

no sermons/preaching? How do one learn the Word of God then? Even if u study them on your own, how do you make sure your understanding is correct? Some passages are hard to understand.

Ah, there's the rub. As Yowm pointed out,Ā How do you know the one man at the top isnt making mistakes or straying from holy writ?

Ā 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30

1 hour ago, Unit 11 said:

Ah, there's the rub. As Yowm pointed out,Ā How do you know the one man at the top isnt making mistakes or straying from holy writ?

Ā 

Good grief!Ā  Our people at my church know the Bible themselves.Ā  We read it individually and in small groups.Ā  My goodness - we have our Bibles open while he is preaching!Ā  Ergo - if and when our pastor may make a mistake, we would know immediately.

Across the world, there are some false teachers and preachers.Ā  When the people never read the Bible for themselves, but just believe everything he says - that's really pitiful.

But then the congregants know the scriptures like the back of their hands, they recognize the truth vs. the lie.

My pastor has not made errors that I have heard in the years he has been here.Ā  He isn't perfect, but he sticks with the Word of God when he preaches.

I have never heard of a church with no preacher - no sermons.Ā  I just now have seen this thread.Ā  No preachers.Ā  No sermons.Ā  It's a foreign concept to me.

The sheep must have a shepherd.Ā  Paul preached.Ā  Peter preached.Ā  Jesus preached.Ā  John the Baptist preached.Ā  Timothy preached. Stephen preached.

No preacher?Ā  I don't get it.

Ā 

• Well Said! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

28 minutes ago, Jayne said:

Good grief!Ā  Our people at my church know the Bible themselves.Ā  We read it individually and in small groups.Ā  My goodness - we have our Bibles open while he is preaching!Ā  Ergo - if and when our pastor may make a mistake, we would know immediately.

Across the world, there are some false teachers and preachers.Ā  When the people never read the Bible for themselves, but just believe everything he says - that's really pitiful.

But then the congregants know the scriptures like the back of their hands, they recognize the truth vs. the lie.

My pastor has not made errors that I have heard in the years he has been here.Ā  He isn't perfect, but he sticks with the Word of God when he preaches.

I have never heard of a church with no preacher - no sermons.Ā  I just now have seen this thread.Ā  No preachers.Ā  No sermons.Ā  It's a foreign concept to me.

The sheep must have a shepherd.Ā  Paul preached.Ā  Peter preached.Ā  Jesus preached.Ā  John the Baptist preached.Ā  Timothy preached. Stephen preached.

No preacher?Ā  I don't get it.

Ā 

Excellent and my sentiments exactly!

The first thing that popped in my head when I read this Title ,followed by the OP ,was the second Chapter in the Book of Acts - Peter stood up and raised his voice to give what? A SERMON!!! And Oh look what happened following his preaching!

No sermon? Believe me I've had Sundays when I had wished there was no Sermon,lol but yes,yes,yes I have my Bible in front of me and the Word of God in me to Discern what is not in those Scriptures and what Aligns Perfectly with God's Truth!

A Gathering of the " Church" without a Sermon is like a canoe without any oars..... Hmmm?

Thanks Jayne,good sharing

With love in Christ,Kwik

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  149

2 hours ago, Jayne said:

Ā 

Thank you! In my time I've heard the word "interpret" quite a bit, claims that most people can't read the Bible correctly and need a leader of some kind to clarify & explain it to us.Ā 

This has always made me suspicious, because this is usually said by someone up in the pulpit who's never even met me. How does he know I can't understand it? Also because, we know our Creator wishes for all to be reconciled to him, so I wonder why he would make his book so cryptic & complicated that only a select few can properly understand it? (And how convenient for those few...)

Ā 

Ā 

• Thumbs Up 1