stock market or no stock market?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I wanted to ask others here. Is it Christian like to invest in stocks in the stock market?

Well maybe you can gain money from this. But you can also lose all your money as well. I have been thinking of this for years. Whether to do it is right or wrong. Not that I have any involvement. I just think and ponder about certain things kind of randomly.

So if you can gain in the stock market. Or if you can lose all your money depending what happens to your stock.. then is this too risky?

Do you think God approves Christians to invest in the stock market or is it a waste of time and money? Would God want to use this money for other purposes?

What do the members here think according to biblical standards and ones also point of view on business matters for everyday Christians world wide?:whistling:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

It is entirely up to you.

Personally, I do not like fiat currency, or fiat stocks or any of that. What I did when living in the US was to buy good tools and firearms. They should appreciate if you have a good understanding of them. Gold is too volatile but silver in small amounts is salable. Think long-term conversion.

What you really need is barter goods for the long term.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  1,403
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

Investing is fine in and of itself. The Bible does call on us to use our resources wisely. That includes making ourselves aware of how the market works, the present environment, and sound investing principles as well as what the company has done in the past. Has the company in question had a history of doing things that are against God's commandments? We can't always find that one out but I don't believe we should invest in businesses that we know have defied God's word. Definitely pray before putting any money into stocks, and be extra wary. Emotions and wishful thinking run high in the stock market. It makes people who invest especially vulnerable to believing they heard something from God that really came from their own desires.

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

2 hours ago, Journey365 said:

I wanted to ask others here. Is it Christian like to invest in stocks in the stock market?

Well maybe you can gain money from this. But you can also lose all your money as well. I have been thinking of this for years. Whether to do it is right or wrong. Not that I have any involvement. I just think and ponder about certain things kind of randomly.

So if you can gain in the stock market. Or if you can lose all your money depending what happens to your stock.. then is this too risky?

Do you think God approves Christians to invest in the stock market or is it a waste of time and money? Would God want to use this money for other purposes?

What do the members here think according to biblical standards and ones also point of view on business matters for everyday Christians world wide?:whistling:

Jesus spoke about people who hide money in a hole rather than seeing returns on it.

Money isn't evil, love/worship of money certainly is.

Jesus wants wise Christians to grow their money to have more for missions, family, witnessing, and quality of life.

Following respected Christian money managers and my experience in this area, I urge you to consider mutual funds (stock aggregates) more so than single stocks. Less volatile, and greed is trying to grow money very fast, while God adds little sorrow to biblical wealth, grown slowly, carefully (mutual funds).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

It's a gamble, but not like going to Vegas, or trying the odds at winning the lotto. I suppose one could invest wisely, but with the realization that what goes up, can also come crashing down. Be careful with your hard earned wages. God bless. 

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

9 hours ago, Journey365 said:

When I invest, I like to take as little risk as possible. I want the money to be there when I need it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

9 hours ago, Journey365 said:

I wanted to ask others here. Is it Christian like to invest in stocks in the stock market?   Well maybe you can gain money from this. But you can also lose all your money as well. I have been thinking of this for years. Whether to do it is right or wrong. Not that I have any involvement. I just think and ponder about certain things kind of randomly.   So if you can gain in the stock market. Or if you can lose all your money depending what happens to your stock.. then is this too risky?  Do you think God approves Christians to invest in the stock market or is it a waste of time and money? Would God want to use this money for other purposes?   What do the members here think eaccording to biblical standards and ones also point of view on business matters for everyday Christians world wide?

It doesn't matter if you gain the whole stock market/ world/  it is not worth the soul.

If anything you do hurts others,  it is wrong.    This includes participating in gambling or markets as such as you brought up.

• This is Worthy 2

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,299
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

In the parable of the talents Jesus praised the two who went and traded in the markets doubling the amount given to them and critised the servant who didn't even deposit his talent with bankers so it earnt interest.

The Western society we know is built upon lending money in order to trade/make things.

What ever you do with your money it will be supporting a capitalist economy unless you put it in a sock and hide it under the mattress.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

That's a very good question! Personally, the stock market is risky and a gamble. So, technically it is gambling, you can win or lose big time. In the parable of the talents, I've wondered how they made good use of that entrusted to them? Did they loan it out (usury), did they invest it in what? 

Matthew 25:20 (KJV) And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I wouldn't think that the stock markets exist back then like they do today. You see my brother-in-law had lost in between $20 -$25 thousand in the stock market in the 90's. On the hand those like Warren Buffett it meant nothing to lose that much. It seems like some win and some lose. 

I only think when Jesus was talking about interest he was talking about a regular bank. Logically we will gain interest in a bank. but that's not always the case with the stock market today. When we read the bible we have to remember the time frame and apply it to todays times.