IGNORED

When you first realized you were old

Guest PinkBelt

Guest PinkBelt

My daughter is 21 and married (I'm 41) and I had a sudden realization that I am closer to 60 then I am to 20. I get tired quicker, my knees are an arthritic mess, I find Netflix vastly more entertaining then the stuff I did at 20. This morning I found grey hairs, and more than a couple. All the songs I liked are on the classics station and the clothes I wore as a teen are considered retro.

When I was a teenager in LA we loved going to clubs (bouncers didn't check I.D.s much), concerts and movies. My friends and I also would go to the beach or forest so I could be called a square for being the only one who didn't drink or use drugs. We were also fond of driving around in our convertibles for hours on end being bratty. Naughty naughty.

I would like to hear anyone from anyone else when they had their first "I'm getting old" moments/revelations. The funnier the better. 

Edited by PinkBelt

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,941
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 minute ago, PinkBelt said:

My daughter is 21 and married (I'm 41) and I had a sudden realization that I am closer to 60 then I am to 20. I get tired quicker, my knees are an arthritic mess, I find Netflix vastly more entertaining then the stuff I did at 20. This morning I found grey hairs, and more than a couple. All the songs I liked are on the classics station and the clothes I wore as a teen are considered retro.

I would like to hear anyone from anyone else when they had their first "I'm getting old" moments/revelations. The funnier the better.

I'm just over 2 months away from 65 years of age. I began to think I must be getting old when I found myself running completely out of energy and strength whilst doing normal landscaping tasks all day for weeks. I began to get aches and pains from heavy lifting and driving in 125mm nails, and recovery times took longer. "Ok", I thought, "Maybe I should slow down a bit", which turns out to be a great idea. Now I'm finding time to do less demanding hobbies and have been passing on skills to the younger workers.

Funny thing though, I keep being made aware of all these people in their 70's, 80's, and even 90's who are still active and involved to the hilt in various projects and organisations, or even still clocking in to a job...looks like I've got a long way to go still. :amen: 

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

Carrying my mom's coffin in Wales. Tweaked and herniated a thoracic vertebrae. The ensuing agony plus two transatlantic flights indicated to me that I was not as robust nowadays. My mom always seemed to get in the last word.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,116
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I think it was in 2015 at my 50th class reunion when I looked around all the old schoolmates.   We had gotten on a bus to drive around and see the different parts of the school and how it had grown....      Looking back at that bus load of us and remembering what we were riding that bus to school 60 years earlier....    well it made me feel old but at the same time happy that we had all made it that long.       We had about 45 in our graduating class and 36 of us had started in the first grade together....   we were a pretty close net group of people.  Many of us stay up with each other on Face Book.

But then before that when I signed my retirement papers in February of 2009 and started Social Security....   That started me to thinking I was old....   but the bus ride with all those other old people is what solidified the feeling.

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest PinkBelt

I should add that I also feel old because when I look back at my teenage self I can't believe some of the stupid/careless/thoughtless/irresponsible things I did. Who was that girl?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,515
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  11

It's only been in the past few months that I have begun "feeling"  a little oldish, but that may be because I haven't been taking the best care of my temple lately. My dad said something to me when he was in his mid seventies that amazed me and completely changed my thinking about ageing. He said, "You know, missy, I feel 18." It was then that I realized ageing has a lot to do with your mentality. Sure, your body can't do everything as well as it used to, but truth is, there are many many younger folks whose bodies are limited as well.

If you think about it, only the body ages. According to Paul in 2 Corinthians 4:16, the inward man is beinging renewed every day! I'll be 65 this year, LORD willing, and as young as ever. I certainly don't intend to die before my body does. And just remember, you're not old; you're eternal!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,403
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

Sometimes it's health related stuff, sometimes it's reflecting back on old times. I know people I was talking to around twenty years ago so whenever one of them has a birthday it usually brings my age to mind. Someone once called it Neverland because of things like "My back never used to bother me so much. This road never seemed so long before."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  206
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  5,608
  • Content Per Day:  2.84
  • Days Won:  33

I'm 44. In October I'll be 45.

One thing I have noticed, each year spins round enormously fast. And each year appears to spin round faster!

My husband is 59 on July 7th. The day after tomorrow!

I don't have children, but @PinkBelt you say you are 41 and have a daughter of 21. That reminds me of my old school friend Sarah. She is the same age as me, and her twin daughters have just turned 21. I can vividly remember Sarah giving birth to them.

Also @Michael37 you are right. I also know people well into their 80s, who are fit and active and running around like they are 20.

Mentally I don't feel old.

Physically, oh yeah, my body feels worn, tired and burnt out. I started noticing a decline when I was about 37.

I'm always feeling tired. My joints always hurt and don't work properly. I get dizzy easily. My vision has deteriorated. I have chronic back ache. I feel unwell most of the time.

Thankfully I don't yet have any grey hair and also my memory isn't too bad. 

I also feel I am gradually turning into my Mother!

My mother was 86 when she passed away to go to Heaven last October. Even this October is spinning round. It won't be long until I'll be on the first anniversary of her going to Heaven. But things that are now happening to my body, I think; gosh, my mother had that!

One problem my husband Graham and I have noticed, is that in this world, the Government have a set an exact age when you can retire, and recently in the UK, that retirement age has drastically increased because, as they say, "we are living longer". And it is due to go up again shortly.

Which is fine, I understand that. But in this world, they don't take into account that individuals age at different rates. You can feel physically old at 40, but still have to plod on until you are 70 before you can retire. And yet someone at 75, who feels fit and healthy, and full of beans, can take it easy if they want, as they are retired.

I know there's no way round that, because there has to be some system put in place in this life. But it reinforces to all of us, that we are very much looking forward to receiving our new resurrected bodies. I jokingly say; "I hope they have toilets in Heaven", as that is another problem I have! Hahaha.

Oh, what a moaning old biddy I sound! :24:

God bless,

Becky. X

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

7 minutes ago, Rebecca Pickles said:

I'm always feeling tired. My joints always hurt and don't work properly. I get dizzy easily. My vision has deteriorated. I have chronic back ache. I feel unwell most of the time.

Goodness gracious, please don't remind me! :rolleyes:

• Haha 2