• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,589
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

11 hours ago, 1to3 said:

When people go over the speed limit they are breaking the law. That is why people slow down to the speed limit when they see a police patrol car.

Slow down? Possibly, but mostly just try to keep in the middle of the pack of fast fliers and hope the wolf pack  with the blue lights is smaller in number than  the pack of fast fliers.

I remember being fifth from the rear of a fast flier pack when we passed by four or five" Zody's" blue light specials on the interstate. Quite a sight to see all four light up at once. I was thinking was it four or five of them? I saw the first one take out the rear guard, then the next one took out the next of our pack, I looked were there three or two of them left behind me. Then the car behind me got it! I would be next,-and yes yes no  blue light behind me.

Felt like a  Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry movie line;- You have to think  to yourself am I feeling lucky today, was it five  or was it six shoots fired, is the gun empty or not?

I do feel safer in a fast flier column than I do driving the speed limit and being a clog  on the highway causing other drivers to make risky moves to get around me. To me the first  rule, a preamble to the basic speed law, is do not try to enforce my own ideas of speed limits upon other drivers. Do not drive slow in the fast lane, and if in the slightly slower truck lanes do not slow down those big rigs, especally when approaching a hill. They take a long time to gain speed and even longer to stop. Let them develop a safe for them convoy speed and just settle in with it. Never try  being the  Junior G man of traffic control.

I hated those California USA rolling road blocks with the highway patrol  car driving 55 MPH with flashing red lights on, four and five lanes of traffic jammed up behind them wasting fuel while jockeying about, trying to get a chance to get around them or to  jump off at one exit and race to get back on at another ahead of them. - And be clear of any traffic for miles and miles.

At The Villages Florida USA I once got ticketed by an  officer that jumped out of the bushes. I was pacing a golf cart  that was on the sidewalk at the time. I was surprised that someone had removed the 19 mph  limiter on theirs and were doing exactly 30 MPH. I got a $149.00 ticket for doing 30 MPH in a 25 MPH zone. Cop never said a word, just wrote the ticket. I never said a word, just later paid it. And life goes on, another game played by all. Funny thing is that souping up and speeding in a golf cart is a $1500 fine plus loss of driver's license and all car tags too. Cop settled for the $149 revenue stream passing up the opportunity to  have the bigger game hit for the day.

My uncle used to seriously make an argument that signal lights were the work of the devil to enrage us, plus that  if we were living as Christ would have us to live we would just stop for each other automatically at intersections. He had quite a dissertation worked out on that one- I never knew, was he serious? I think probably it was quiet humor played most seriously by him  to make a point that we are all depraved and in need of our savior Jesus; that if we were perfect in the flesh  there would be no signals nor speed signs needed anywhere.

• Haha 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

You're in rare form this morning, @Neighbor. I'm getting quite a laugh at your posts! :P

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers

51 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

You're in rare form this morning

It has been fun reading the comments of many  on this one. I did take time to reread Nahum though. No, I do not see it as prophecy for  us  in the USA racing around from place to place. Seems to me it identifies it's point within itself. But hey  I appreciated the interpretation/speculation  of the writer of the opening post too. It led  me to read in the word of God. For that I am appreciative.

Surprisingly  I have received very few tickets over a long  lifetime. Least not in the past decade or so. Though  as a young driver I accumulated 20 points  out of 12 possible per year in less than six weeks.  I batched clusters of them and went into court with four one time. Seems there were so many of us with so many points against us that 20 was nothing by comparison to so many others, the system never got down to me to process  suspending my license. Though I did at one hearing get "banished" from LA County for a year. I had made two CHIPS lay down their bikes, by making a high speed left turn onto a freeway ramp in front of them. They were not happy. I was a very stupid driver at that time! Back when insurance cost roughly $80 a year I was paying $360 for minimum insurance.  Being stupid comes at a high price.  Besides cost of tickets and insurance I used to get  6 to 8 thousand miles on a set of Pirelli tacky tread tires.

Today I am just  one in the crowd with a simple machine built for safety not for speed. I just get in the pack and settle in. Besides I am a little slower in reactions so it is wise for me to admit that and drive accordingly, all without ticking off  the faster of the packs by clogging lanes.

• Haha 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

I always tell my Bible Study classes that Nahum is Jonah, part 2.

The same city God spared because of their repentance in Jonah is destroyed in Nahum's prediction.

Nineveh was disgusting about 150 years after Jonah - skinning their enemies alive and murdering in the streets.  According to James Boice, the city people would put up monuments to their violence and inscribe on them what they did to people.  He says some of those monuments are in museums today.  They would dismember people, cut their head off and put on poles, skin them alive and spread the skins on the city walls, and more.  Gross.

God had been charitable enough.  Much more than we would be. But now - the time of his wrath was here.

Jonah - God shows mercy to Nineveh and they truly repent - from the king on down.

Nahum - Nineveh's later generations forgot God, became grotesquely violent, threatened God's people, and God destroyed them

It wasn't just a road rage of chariots.  It was a feeding frenzy of the most disgusting violence imaginable.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

On 8/9/2019 at 7:12 AM, Footprint said:

Prophecy fulfilled...

Nahum 2:4 The chariots shall rage in the streets, they shall justle one against another in the broad ways: they shall seem like torches, they shall run like the lightnings.

When I'm driving the highways, I get into the right hand slow lane and cruse around 60mph. It is amazing how they blow past as if going the speed limit were against the law.

One day I seen the next batch of cars in my rear view mirror and approaching fast. As they were raging by, something occurred to me, "stampede". It was as if a SPIRIT were behind them driving them forward with FEAR!

Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

God bless!

This is the world we live in. You go the speed limit which is the law. Everyone else drives past you like you are on a racing speedway. In fact they are angry with you for obeying the law. Yes, speeding it is a sin Romans 13: 1-2.

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

6 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

This is the world we live in. You go the speed limit which is the law. Everyone else drives past you like you are on a racing speedway. In fact they are angry with you for obeying the law. Yes, speeding it is a sin Romans 13: 1-2.

In all seriousness, I do understand the reason for established speed limit laws. They are made in hopes of curtailing highway fatalities, and admittedly, speed kills. I make every effort to maintain within the posted limits, with the only exception of being overly delayed from an appointed scheduling to my destination. It's not all that difficult a good majority of the time. 

25 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

As they were raging by

Cruising by, not rage. There is no "rage" from their side of the windshield. How about from your's? ???:) But yes it would be nice if you could goose it along just a little maybe get  nearer the speed limit, traffic flow and general driving conditions allowing.  60 in a 70MPH zone is just too slow and dangerous too for everyone. 

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

In all seriousness, I do understand the reason for established speed limit laws. They are made in hopes of curtailing highway fatalities, and admittedly, speed kills. I make every effort to maintain within the posted limits, with the only exception of being overly delayed from an appointed scheduling to my destination. It's not all that difficult a good majority of the time. 

Yeah but a mile a minute ( 60MPH) is way too slow when everyone else is at the posted speed limit 70 MPH. That person doing 60 is the clog that is the danger on the highway causing accidents. Go with the flow it's way safer. A ticket is just the price one pays for safety in travel. I consider it a premium.

Police do far more than ticket. They help those stranded, those in danger, those at risk at rest stops. They are the good guys. Yes they gain necessary revenue from tickets of many kinds not just from speed. Got to finance them somehow! Most of the time they give a leeway of 9 MPH over the posted speed limit and go faster than that themselves.

Speed limits are a regulation often making little local sense, designed by people far away from the highways at Washington as environment law. My Sonata hybryd got far better MPG at 85 than at 60. It would run on total electric at the higher speed. Odd but that was the way it was.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

Oh, yes! The signs that suggests, "Watch For Falling Rocks"

I've been away from the States for 28 years, ...did they ever find the lost Indian boy?

Just remembered the two CHPs hat had some fun at my expense  between Oxnard and Los Angeles one early foggy morning. I was in a Chevy panel truck a big one normally used for flower runs  to cemeteries. I had made a  pick up  of a deceased person from a funeral dirctor at Oxnard and was returning  to work at 5AM moving along at it's top speed in the center lane in the fog. When two vehicles just blew past me in a formation one on each side then formed a line in front of me and hit their gas pedals and disappeared causing a vortex of wind that rattled me all over my own lane. Funny guys. I near panicked getting the clumsy rig I was in  back in a straight line. Cops have a sense of humor. Once asked an officer about his motorcycle, what speed he could go on it. he said. doesn't matter it is just a launching pad for this, as he tapped his side arm. Said, this will drive a projectile clean through a car into the engine block and stop it  real quick.

• Haha 1