• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

So does prayer really work?

I ask because a thing(s) I have asked for all my 36 years of being a Christian(?) have never received anything but NO for an answer.  I put the s by thing because it is especially one thing but several over things that are major but minor compare to the one thing.  The ? by Christian because I ask in the Name of Jesus yet seem to get nothing from God!

Never has a man needed a miracle more than me but all I have to plea is the Blood of Christ.

• Group:  Catholic
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.34

13 minutes ago, TRlover said:

I ask because a thing(s) I have asked for all my 36 years of being a Christian(?) have never received anything but NO for an answer.  I put the s by thing because it is especially one thing but several over things that are major but minor compare to the one thing.  The ? by Christian because I ask in the Name of Jesus yet seem to get nothing from God!

Never has a man needed a miracle more than me but all I have to plea is the Blood of Christ.

I understand, although I have had prayers answered. I just wonder why ABC prayers are answered but not XYZ.. The answer I seem to be getting is... hmmm... not sure I can articulate this, so may have to go and do some ruminating or something first.. but you know the parable Jesus told of the persistent widow, right? She just kept bugging the unjust judge and finally, to get rid of her (my words) he gave her justice (not sure what exactly she was asking for but something about justice) 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  212
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

7 minutes ago, TRlover said:

I don't know what you are going through, but it must be a heavy burden to carry all these 36 years. You said that the only thing you receive from the Lord, is a no answer. I believe that God truly answers prayer, assuming the conditions for answered prayer are met such as, forgiving those who offend you, doing those things that are pleasing in His sight, asking in faith nothing wavering, abiding in Jesus and allowing His word to abide in you, etc. I'm sure that this is not what you want to hear, but NO is an answer. It isn't an answer we want to hear let alone accept, but it is still an answer. I believe He answers all prayer, if we keep on asking, seeking, and knocking. His answers are yes, no, or wait. I especially don't like the latter. I hope this has possibly helped in some way.

Gary

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

28 minutes ago, TRlover said:

I have asked for all my 36 years of being a Christian(?) have never received anything but NO for an answer.

I totally understand this. There has been something that is considered a major difficulty in life, and prayers concerning it seem to have yet to be answered. Still there is this from the Apostle Paul to be considered. Don't think for one moment that I consider myself to be on any parallel with him spiritually speaking. Way far from it as a matter of fact. Yet I do believe this one thing about prayer - the Lord always answers. It is yes, no, or wait upon me. 

2 Corinthians 12:7-10 7And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. 8For this thing I besought the LORD thrice, that it might depart from me. 9And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.  KJV

Yes prayer works. Most certainly God listens. However, what you ask for must be according to His will. If it is for your or someone else's good God will grant it. If not, He will not. Only God can decide. Have faith, trust in Him,  whether your prayer is answered or not.  

Edited by Melinda12

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, Please suffer a hard question for a moment, are you sure you are a Christian? If you are hasn't one prayer been answered right off the bat? 

I don't really buy into the idea that "no" is an answer. No is a denial of the prayer. I do buy into the idea that some prayer is ill desired or poorly motivated, and also poorly requested. God may provide a better answer than what the person praying realizes. His response to it, His answer, to may be missed altogether.

It appears to me to be pretty common for humans perhaps all at sometime or other  to think God is ignoring one's need and desire, and to then have a fallen countenance;  that is a large portion of questioning of God that is shared within Psalms, especially from Ps 40 through 50. Where are you God? It is hard to have  that fine sense of confidence, it does take perhaps more faith than is in an individual, but I think it not to difficult for God to resolve and that He does answer, the answer not being no.

I know God because of the long suffering prayer of  my grandmother. God answered her prayer decades after her death. he did not live long enough t see His answer acted out, but He answered from the first time she prayed it. 

God has made it clear to me that I am today the answer to the long suffering  but ever persistent prayer  by her. I did not want to turn about to God. I did not want to repent of Sin against Him. I did not want to know of Him. Didn't matter because God answers prayer, and I was turned about by His doing alone.

The prayers, they are answered. May not be recognized, may not be in the time and setting thought  of to be best by the one praying, but I am fully confident God is sovereign and that God hears and answers prayer. He does it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Prayer can be very powerful if you have faith and trust. 

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, TRlover said:

Mark 11:20 As they passed by in the morning, they saw the fig tree withered away to its roots. 21 And Peter remembered and said to him, “Rabbi, look! The fig tree that you cursed has withered.” 22 And Jesus answered them, “Have faith in God. 23 Truly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says will come to pass, it will be done for him. 24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. 25 And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.”

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,045
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Birthday:  07/07/1955

PSALM 66:18 if I regard iniquity in my heart THE LORD will not hear me 

PROVEBS 28:9 he that turneth away his ear from hearing the law even his prayer shall be an abomination

JAMES 4:3 you ask and receive not because you ask amiss that you may consume it upon your lusts 

1 JOHN 5:14 and this is the confidence that we have in HIM that --IF-- we ask anything according to HIS will HE heareth us ---5:15--- and if we know that HE hear us whatsoever we ask we know that we have the petitions that we desired of HIM 

LOVING THE LORD JESUS CHRIST

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  239
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  11/16/1993

Prayer always works but also "Blessed is him which has never seen, but does still believe." John 20:29.