copenhagen

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

I've been a fairly regular churchgoer for 8+ years. There were months long stretches when I didn't attend in that time, but in the past couple of years in particular, I've been a very regular attendee, as in attending just about every single Sunday. As I've said in other posts, it's become a hard wired habit more or less, plus, I like the light breakfast served. 

Sadly, the church pastor I've respected the most locally, I hate to say it, has become boooooring. I suppose it's possible that the messages have become repetitive. That's certainly a possibility. But I don't think that's it. The sermons are actually less interesting. A lot less interesting. I'm actually nodding off occasionally, which wasn't an issue previously. The services are only 75 minutes long, and the sermons are less than 40 minutes in length: brief and to the point. I don't feel the same burning desire for the message anymore. It's like, "eh, let's just get it over with. I wanna go home."

The evening service pastor (different church) is even more boring. I've been attending regularly for several months for a change of pace, but it offers no opportunities to socialize and the sermons aren't interesting enough in and of themselves to justify doubling up.

I know there aren't any other better churches locally. Almost all of them post videos of sermons which I've seen or I've visited them firsthand. 

With the weather getting nicer, perhaps I should get out of town and take a break.

I don't feel like I have a "place" in the church. The churches are heavily focused on child care. The kids seem to stick around through middle school, then there's a huge drop-off in high school students, and only a handful of young adults. 

I've attended some of the church's night classes and generally speaking, those are pretty boring also. And I don't really make any friends from those classes. There's rarely a person I meet who I say "I'd like for us to be friends." I've volunteered on previous occasions and same thing, I really don't meet anyone that I want to be friends with. 

I wish I could find a church with a much stronger presence of young adults, with a larger percentage of singles. There are churches like this, a significantly longer drive out. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

What is it you are expecting of church? The point of a worship service isnt to be entertained but to worship our Lord. While you are looking for a church that meets your needs perhaps you should also evaluate your view of worship as well.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,712
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

The real secret of an unsatisfied life lies too often in an unsurrendered will. -Hudson Taylor

I say that to suggest that maybe the issue is you. not that your not saved, but maybe your hearts not in it. Sure, I occasionally find my ministers message boring. But usually, if im bored with something-anything, its because my hearts not truly in it.

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,226
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

1 hour ago, copenhagen said:

I've been a fairly regular churchgoer for 8+ years. There were months long stretches when I didn't attend in that time, but in the past couple of years in particular, I've been a very regular attendee, as in attending just about every single Sunday. As I've said in other posts, it's become a hard wired habit more or less, plus, I like the light breakfast served. 

Sadly, the church pastor I've respected the most locally, I hate to say it, has become boooooring. I suppose it's possible that the messages have become repetitive. That's certainly a possibility. But I don't think that's it. The sermons are actually less interesting. A lot less interesting. I'm actually nodding off occasionally, which wasn't an issue previously. The services are only 75 minutes long, and the sermons are less than 40 minutes in length: brief and to the point. I don't feel the same burning desire for the message anymore. It's like, "eh, let's just get it over with. I wanna go home."

The evening service pastor (different church) is even more boring. I've been attending regularly for several months for a change of pace, but it offers no opportunities to socialize and the sermons aren't interesting enough in and of themselves to justify doubling up.

I know there aren't any other better churches locally. Almost all of them post videos of sermons which I've seen or I've visited them firsthand. 

With the weather getting nicer, perhaps I should get out of town and take a break.

I don't feel like I have a "place" in the church. The churches are heavily focused on child care. The kids seem to stick around through middle school, then there's a huge drop-off in high school students, and only a handful of young adults. 

I've attended some of the church's night classes and generally speaking, those are pretty boring also. And I don't really make any friends from those classes. There's rarely a person I meet who I say "I'd like for us to be friends." I've volunteered on previous occasions and same thing, I really don't meet anyone that I want to be friends with. 

I wish I could find a church with a much stronger presence of young adults, with a larger percentage of singles. There are churches like this, a significantly longer drive out. 

Hi Copenhagen,

Again I would encourage you to understand what the Body of Christ is. It is certainly NOT a public meeting in a building. Some people who go may be believers, but the MEETING is just that - a meeting and public at that. We have had that for a while now and it is NOT suitable for this generation. They desire and NEED interaction and deeper relationships than the public meeting can do.

Also to have ONE person always presenting the `lecture` type address is out. Where is the Body ministry as it says in Gods word. `each one bring` and that doesn`t just mean the sandwiches. The Body ministry is what the Head - Christ is addressing at the moment. For too long people have been spoon fed and expecting the pastor to be - well everything.

My suggestion is find another believer, share fellowship, pray, mentor others and watch how the Lord grows you each as believers and thus more able to mentor others. Don`t try and get a `mini` service going, but like a net work of believers each reaching out to those around you and then coming together in the 2`s and 3`s (as God`s word tell us) and be encouraged. I can tell you once you get released from the religious system and the religious system out of your thinking then you will see God work in wonderful ways in you and to those around you.

What a great adventure in Him. That is how we work with God`s Holy Spirit over here in Australia and He works mightily as we obey.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, copenhagen said:

I don't feel like I have a "place" in the church.

Shalom, 

I would say come out of her.  If you have love for the Father and the Messiah, love studying His Word but are not get fed at that church - come out of her. 

There is no point continuing each week if you will be harbouring these thoughts and emotions.  Try to find another church or homegroup more appropriate, although that is becoming a real challenge in these days. 

But it could be that Yahweh has put this feeling in your heart to prompt you to leave. So I would advise be true to yourself and try to find another church/home group.  Or maybe start a home group? 

May Yahweh direct your steps continually. 

Love & Shalom 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  416
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, copenhagen said:

Copenhagen, I have noticed your comments of late and they seem to revolve around one issue: you are dissatisfied with your church.  If so, may I encourage you to reach out and find a religious service that addresses your spiritual need.  Complaining about the specifics of your church serves little purpose.  As imperfect people, we can easily find ways to nitpick our fellow believers.  Of course, if the shortcomings of our fellow bretheren reach a level of being intolerable, then perhaps it is time for you to move on to another church.  I am sure the good folks in this forum would be of help to give you pointers on how to find a suitable place of worship.  If you send me a private message, I could give you some personal thoughts I have about how to go about his.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,681
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

7 hours ago, copenhagen said:

Sadly, the church pastor I've respected the most locally, I hate to say it, has become boooooring. I suppose it's possible that the messages have become repetitive. That's certainly a possibility. But I don't think that's it. The sermons are actually less interesting. A lot less interesting. I'm actually nodding off occasionally, which wasn't an issue previously.

Hi, Have you already scheduled an appointment with your pastor to talk about it? Have you already prepared an outline note for him so he will know what the issue is about? Have you been in prayer each day about your concerns ?

Friends are hard to come by. Are you seeking  a romance as a single looking for another single at church?

PS - to respond to the thread title question am I burned out with church?  No, but I have been there with that feeling. It happens. Have to fight through it, less it becomes the habit, and all participation stops. For that is real tragedy for a saint a born again Christian, as one cannot get that time lost back.

Maybe starting in payer for a renewal of interest as well as a fulfillment of service to God is in order - but be prepared, He may lead you to employment at a local church body and then you will become totally involved 60 to 80 hours every week or more.:)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  1

It wasn't that I was "bored" with church, ...but rather, I wasn't being fed.

Feed My lambs. John 21:15 

As a new born babe in Christ I "devoured" my Bible, ...I had so many things I didn't understand, ...so many questions, ...I went to my "seminary" trained pastor and asked him and was told, don't worry about it, I'll preach a sermon on it, ...which after three years he never had, ...so I prayed and asked Father if what He has said in His Word is Truth, ...then please place me in a church where I'll be fed, ...and He did.

Like I've told you before, ...just pray in faith and ask your Heavenly Father to place you in one of His Churches, ...it's His responsibility, not yours, and He "is" faith to His children. 

Lord bless

Edited by JustPassingThru

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,250
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I would suggest to volunteer to work in the Nursery or clean up the kitchen where the breakfast is served...    we have people who stand guard making sure our cars are not bothered while the service is going on...   If there is a children's church see if there are things with that you can be of help with there....   

As someone said, it's not always what you can get out of church that counts but what you can add to it.