Helping another in learning about God

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

New to the site, not sure on whether to put this in theology forum or this one--anyway.

My friend is learning about God, I had given him a bible as he did not have one in his home to his knowledge. His mother took them to church  a handful of times when he was a child but that ended rather abruptly and she has issues with the church due to personal experiences, so they're not exactly religious people. He wasn't taught about the Word of God, in summation.

Since he and I have grown closer, he would ask about God knowing that I am a Christian. He has become interested in the idea of God. He is, I can thankfully say, a former atheist as he does now believe in some kind of supreme creator, God, but I don't think he follows Christian doctrine as his belief, in that he doesn't identify as a Christian, as he is still learning and making value judgements. We read the bible together occasionally, and I try to answer his questions. He might not like the answers I give or I lack the theological background to answer him extensively, or at all. This leads to him becoming frustrated so he doesn't quite want to read together so much, which I can understand.

Well my purpose for writing this post is that I am concerned about his belief he is ascertaining from reading the bible. His belief is that our lives are information, or divine truth (Logos). He doesn't believe that God is some entity that, and sees no need to pray as he believes God already knows what he needs. I tried to tell him that God wants a relationship with him but he wasn't taking to that idea. He reasons that we as people, together form an informational cluster, metacorporeal and that we are to seek truth above all else, as that is the father. 

I don't want to dissuade him from reading the bible, as he rarely does so on his own accord. I do believe that God is ultimate truth, but he is more than just that one thing alone.

Is there something I can do or say to help steer him in the right direction to having a relationship with Christ and God?

Edited by Bumbleb33
typo

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

You might buy him a copy of a book by Josh McDowell:  Evidence That Demands a Verdict.    Some people like C.S. Lewis's books like Screwtape Letters which is online in pdf format.  Other books by him are:  Mere Christianity; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.   Men often like to find their own way to the Lord.  So the best thing you can do for him is to pray intensely for him,  that he may have eyes to see and ears to hear what God is saying to him.  

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,360
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

Hi there Bumbleb33, welcome to the forum, and great advice from Willa, God bless.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

15 hours ago, Bumbleb33 said:

Is there something I can do or say to help steer him in the right direction to having a relationship with Christ

Welcome to the forums.

There are several things that you can do, the most important of which is to be a real friend to him no matter what happens.

In the course of being a real friend start learning yourself, get and read the book 'Evidence that demands a Verdict' also Lee Strobel's the Case for Christ do you are better inform and can help your friend.

Two other suggestions arrange to meet and do a Bible study with him of say John's gospel or find via the Christianity explored web site where this course is being run and sign up with him to attend it.

You could also ask him to attend church with you.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

18 hours ago, Bumbleb33 said:

New to the site, not sure on whether to put this in theology forum or this one--anyway.

My friend is learning about God, I had given him a bible as he did not have one in his home to his knowledge. His mother took them to church  a handful of times when he was a child but that ended rather abruptly and she has issues with the church due to personal experiences, so they're not exactly religious people. He wasn't taught about the Word of God, in summation.

Since he and I have grown closer, he would ask about God knowing that I am a Christian. He has become interested in the idea of God. He is, I can thankfully say, a former atheist as he does now believe in some kind of supreme creator, God, but I don't think he follows Christian doctrine as his belief, in that he doesn't identify as a Christian, as he is still learning and making value judgements. We read the bible together occasionally, and I try to answer his questions. He might not like the answers I give or I lack the theological background to answer him extensively, or at all. This leads to him becoming frustrated so he doesn't quite want to read together so much, which I can understand.

Well my purpose for writing this post is that I am concerned about his belief he is ascertaining from reading the bible. His belief is that our lives are information, or divine truth (Logos). He doesn't believe that God is some entity that, and sees no need to pray as he believes God already knows what he needs. I tried to tell him that God wants a relationship with him but he wasn't taking to that idea. He reasons that we as people, together form an informational cluster, metacorporeal and that we are to seek truth above all else, as that is the father. 

I don't want to dissuade him from reading the bible, as he rarely does so on his own accord. I do believe that God is ultimate truth, but he is more than just that one thing alone.

Is there something I can do or say to help steer him in the right direction to having a relationship with Christ and God?

You can plant the seed but only God can change the heart. This person will also learn how to be a Christian by watching your life. What you say and what you do. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

On 7/21/2020 at 7:08 PM, Bumbleb33 said:

Is he reading random Bible passages? Have Him read John's gospel and set times to discuss what he's reading.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.19

On 7/22/2020 at 1:08 AM, Bumbleb33 said:

Great to hear what you are doing! Keep praying to God for wisdom and for help.
Keep sharing God's words with your friend as long as he wants to listen. 

See the bible as an instruction manual. You won't be able to understand it fully without God. It is not our intellect that makes us understand God's words. But it is God Himself that reveals to us the truth, through the Holy Spirit, through faith in Jesus Christ.
If your friend keeps trying to understand God by his own intellect, he will have a hard time and will certainly fail.

Jeremiah 29:13 You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.

Romans 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

P.S. And live the christian life, be an example.

Edited by Wesley L
P.S.