• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  24,780
  • Content Per Day:  5.77
  • Days Won:  161
  • Birthday:  01/30/1985

I am  just sharing some of my thoughts about this :) 

I studied social work and psychology was one of my major subjects. I have also been both a counsellor and the one receiving counselling. Doesn't mean I am an an expert or well qualified by any means. And I do not think I have a final solution here. In  fact, I think just by reading through this thread I have gained some new insights myself. 

To answer the question of the OP, I think the answer about whether depression can be cured, my answer would be , maybe. This thread alone has demonstrated that there is not a one-size-fits all kind of depression nor a one-size-fits-all solution. I hesitate to say definitively whether it can be cured in your case, because I don't know you and there could be all kinds of variables. Also, who knows what God has planned for you. But I do know that He does have a plan for you. And so I truly pray that God will do his will in this. 

The brain is an organ like any other. So if medication helps, use it. Also, there are many things that could potentially make things better, spiritually and practically. For me, for example, sitting in a big garden on a nice day actually really helps me. 

And most of all, if you need any more advice about this or simply need to talk to someone, please feel welcome to do so That is of you think it will help. 

I also want to ask everyone just to be cautious with your answers . Let this discussion be edifying. We can have different views on this, that is to be expected, but let us see how we can help. There are probably many people out there watching who could benefit from this discussion. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Yes, depression can be cured.  I had severe chronic depression and anxiety for nearly 40 years.  I'd been to several psychologists/social workers over the years and taken several different anti-depressants over the course of those years as well.  The Bible gave the answers and has a lot to say about it.   It was my experience that anti-depressants (the ones I took were Zoloft, Cymbalta, Risperdhal (anti-psychotic), Geodone, Klonipin (anti-anxiety), and some others I don't remember any longer, is that they caused more harm than good.  Most increased my suicidal tendencies.

The psychologists/social workers were little or no help, sometimes making things worse.  Those institutions are tightly controlled by what they can teach and what they are taught.  If they give real help, people will get healed and that would infringe on the big pharma cartel profits, so real solutions are rarely provided.

There are a number of specific Scriptures that when applied will help with ANYBODY'S depression.  Even if it is not entirely removed, those Scriptures will make an improvement to the situation.  But, I think depression is also an individual problem, and eventually, the Scriptures will heal anybody's depression given time, persistence, prayer, and faith.  

I won't list those things here because of the size and the nay-sayers that would invariably jump in, but I will send them out to anybody that asks, assuming that person has depression.

For me personally, I've been without meds and without serious depression for 11 years.  I will say that some situations can cause depression of circumstance, such as loss of a loved one, job, etc, or too little exercise, too much sugar/caffeine, dietary deficiencies, and so on.  I've experienced those here and there during that 11 years, but nothing to the degree or length that it once was.  The nasty stuff is gone, and I give all the credit to Jesus Christ in His written word.

• Loved it! 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

On 10/7/2020 at 11:52 AM, leah777 said:

why are you answering @Billiards Ball by quoting @Deborah_, and not mentioning billiards ball as the one you are answering?

Perhaps I made an insignificant error. ¿Quien sabe?

Please reply with your opinion AFTER you read this book:

What Demons Can Do to Saints

By: Merrill F. Unger

MOODY PUBLISHERS / 1991 / PAPERBACK

With his trademark candor and insight, Merrill Unger attempts to answer a common question (perhaps the most common one) pertaining to demons: "Can a Christian be indwelt by a demon? Can a child of God be demon possessed?" The answers to this question run the gamut from a definitive no! (with an implied statement of the inability of demons to afflict Christians) to an equally definitive yes! (with the implication that a Christian can be totally controlled by demonic forces). Unger favors an answer that lies somewhere in the middle, and accepts that even Christians can be afflicted by demons, if they, through sin, allow the devil a foothold.

Unger recognizes the nature of the battle we find ourselves in, and this book, published in 1977, functions as a prophetic look at our own culture. Though Unger died in 1980, his understanding of satanic and demonic activities then paints a vivid picture of what has happened now through the occult and the rise of ritual satanism.

Here is one site from where you can buy it. https://www.christianbook.com/what-demons-can-do-to-saints/merrill-unger/9780802494184/pd/94188#CBD-PD-Description

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.72
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Perhaps I made an insignificant error. ¿Quien sabe?

Please reply with your opinion AFTER you read this book:

What Demons Can Do to Saints

By: Merrill F. Unger

MOODY PUBLISHERS / 1991 / PAPERBACK

With his trademark candor and insight, Merrill Unger attempts to answer a common question (perhaps the most common one) pertaining to demons: "Can a Christian be indwelt by a demon? Can a child of God be demon possessed?" The answers to this question run the gamut from a definitive no! (with an implied statement of the inability of demons to afflict Christians) to an equally definitive yes! (with the implication that a Christian can be totally controlled by demonic forces). Unger favors an answer that lies somewhere in the middle, and accepts that even Christians can be afflicted by demons, if they, through sin, allow the devil a foothold.

Unger recognizes the nature of the battle we find ourselves in, and this book, published in 1977, functions as a prophetic look at our own culture. Though Unger died in 1980, his understanding of satanic and demonic activities then paints a vivid picture of what has happened now through the occult and the rise of ritual satanism.

Here is one site from where you can buy it. https://www.christianbook.com/what-demons-can-do-to-saints/merrill-unger/9780802494184/pd/94188#CBD-PD-Description

no. I do not read books written about satan and demons. It gives satan space in my head and my attention is focused on him and his minions. I read about Jesus Christ, God, Holy Spirit and look at bible things. The battle is won, we are protected by the blood of Jesus.

Philippians 4:8

King James Version

8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  13
  • Birthday:  05/15/1991

On 9/30/2020 at 5:32 AM, CaptWalker said:

Well i feel like in order to even qualify to respond to this, i have to say i was prescribed some very strong anti-depressants as a teenager, and they definitely seemed to help as far as my overall mood was concerned...but there were also some negative aspects to them, which i won't take the time to mention. But I would say that anyone suffering from depression alone is so much better off than being overwhelmed by FEAR, which i don't think is related, since i personally only recall a very deep sadness but was not afraid as i am NOW! And even to the point where i feel God Himself may be against me, by allowing my enemies to get the best of me and totally ruin my life, but won't go into detail about that. So paranoia/fear is most definitely something much more serious than depression as far as a tactic of our one true ENEMY, and so anyone who is only sad or even suicidal isn't necessarily any worse off that someone like myself. And maybe even should consider yourself lucky that God is not testing you as He did with JOB...just saying!

Please, try to read and meditate on 1john4. It will help you tremendously if you can do what is commanded in the chapter

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  13
  • Birthday:  05/15/1991

Someone made a comment that praying in tongues helps with depression, and I'll like to say that i agree with him/her.

Ofcourse, there are different types/manifestation of depression. My own depression came without any external trigger( no bad occurrence or death of a loved one). But am sure its different for some people. So I'll just like to talk about my own specific case.

I've noticed that whenever i spend at least one hour everyday praying in tongues, and i only do Christian activities (except work), like reading the Bible, Christian books, sermons etc my depression disappears. But my problem has always been that, its very difficult for me to live this way for a long period of time. Before 6 months, i always go back to watching movies, sports, games etc and the depression comes back.

My point is; i agree totally that praying in tongues, and getting involved in Christian activities exclusively, helps with at least one (if not all) type of depression. I hope this helps someone.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  441
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  03/20/1970

Well as far as praying in tongues goes, i personally have found that those high potency "meds" were just as effective in curing my own depresssion...not that i agree totally with "man-made" remedies, but at the same time, i have NEVER once experienced even an instance of relief and/or "cure" simply from speaking in tongues...and have in fact felt much like a fool from even attempting it...but who am i to dispute what someone else has experienced??

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/27/2020 at 2:45 PM, Samuel91 said:

I've been depressed for over 7years and I've been on medications for about 2years. My question is that does anyone know anybody cured totally from depression?

The medications helped in a way, i had attempted to commit suicide before about 5 times( and it was not a call for attention). Now, i dont attempt suicide again, but I still want to die most times. 

I just want to know if people can be totally cured from depression.

I don't think so.  I think medication helps, but consistent prayer and keeping yourself in God's word is crucial.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

Have we not yet answered the OP?

Depression comes in different forms. Some is chemical, some from past abuse, some is demonic.

Prayer helps, particularly guided prayer to address root issues. Talking with fellow sufferers helps. Visiting a physician or counselor, particularly a born again one, helps.

Some depression can be cured quickly/instantly, some more slowly.

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.72
  • Days Won:  1

the original OP may have been answered, but this thread is continuing to offer ideas, experiences and support to all who read it, or may read it in the future.

• This is Worthy 1