IGNORED

May I have some advice on how to overcome selfishness and resist temptation consistently?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

On 4/30/2021 at 9:59 PM, MiraculousFaith said:

Hi everyone,

I've been a believer in Christ since 2015. I've been living with my sinful desires for as long as I can remember (#relatable, anyone?).

I've always struggled with self-control. Fulfilling my impulsive desires is an easy habit, especially with a lack of motivation. This isn't just true with spiritual things, but natural things as well.

For example, I've always procrastinated. The stress of it isn't motivation enough to quit doing it for some reason. I try at the beginning to get things done even when I don't want to. Over time, I lose the luster and fall behind. I tend to need change very often to stay alert and focused. I don't mean minute by minute, but every few months. I chose a career that operates on a short-term project-basis partially for this reason.

Sometimes change isn't possible, however. So in those times of perseverance, I need to self-propel, and I struggle to do so.

On the spiritual end, my lack of self-control gets me into a lot of trouble. I've long been fascinated by occultism.This week, I made myself a spirit/Ouija board. The stuff fascinates me when it should terrify me. I've been worried I'll never overcome it fully, and what that might mean.

I've overcome a lot these last few years, but I'm struggling to renew my mind. It's a grievance against God. I feel numb. Numb to my sin. Hardhearted to it. As if I'll never make it through this and time is running out. As if I should be punished harshly for what I've done. Maybe the enemy is slowly convincing me I'm dead meat; I've come to a point where I believe it, and that really scares me.

I know Jesus says that no one will snatch [a true follower of Him] out of the Father's hand (John 10:28-29). I just wish to know if I am simply deceived and belong to the devil, so I can move on with my life instead of this mental hellscape I've given myself to.

I really do believe in Christ, but the mental battle is rough. I want to stop being selfish and resist these ungodly desires, to stop causing more problems for myself and start being the solution. I need a practical first step to walk out and help create good habits and destroy bad ones.

Any advice?

If you don't believe in Christ then you follow Satan. You are on your own.. 

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  0

On 5/1/2021 at 12:59 AM, MiraculousFaith said:

I've long been fascinated by occultism.This week, I made myself a spirit/Ouija board.

I understand that an occult board can be used to tell people what to do. And in case this is so, this could mean it is helping to focus the user's attention on his or her own life and what he or she should do . . . to make things happen. But our attention belongs with God, instead, always submitting to Him and how He rules each of us in His peace. And with this we discover how to love any and all people > this is much more interesting and challenging > to learn how to love each person while sharing with God who has us doing this.

And read God's word, so you can feed on all He desires to do with you. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  649
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

On 5/1/2021 at 5:59 AM, MiraculousFaith said:

Hi everyone,

I've been a believer in Christ since 2015. I've been living with my sinful desires for as long as I can remember (#relatable, anyone?).

I've always struggled with self-control. Fulfilling my impulsive desires is an easy habit, especially with a lack of motivation. This isn't just true with spiritual things, but natural things as well.

For example, I've always procrastinated. The stress of it isn't motivation enough to quit doing it for some reason. I try at the beginning to get things done even when I don't want to. Over time, I lose the luster and fall behind. I tend to need change very often to stay alert and focused. I don't mean minute by minute, but every few months. I chose a career that operates on a short-term project-basis partially for this reason.

Sometimes change isn't possible, however. So in those times of perseverance, I need to self-propel, and I struggle to do so.

On the spiritual end, my lack of self-control gets me into a lot of trouble. I've long been fascinated by occultism.This week, I made myself a spirit/Ouija board. The stuff fascinates me when it should terrify me. I've been worried I'll never overcome it fully, and what that might mean.

I've overcome a lot these last few years, but I'm struggling to renew my mind. It's a grievance against God. I feel numb. Numb to my sin. Hardhearted to it. As if I'll never make it through this and time is running out. As if I should be punished harshly for what I've done. Maybe the enemy is slowly convincing me I'm dead meat; I've come to a point where I believe it, and that really scares me.

I know Jesus says that no one will snatch [a true follower of Him] out of the Father's hand (John 10:28-29). I just wish to know if I am simply deceived and belong to the devil, so I can move on with my life instead of this mental hellscape I've given myself to.

I really do believe in Christ, but the mental battle is rough. I want to stop being selfish and resist these ungodly desires, to stop causing more problems for myself and start being the solution. I need a practical first step to walk out and help create good habits and destroy bad ones.

Any advice?

Ephesians 6:11-24

King James Version

11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you

Chronicles 15:2
So he went out to meet Asa and said to him, "Listen to me, Asa and all Judah and Benjamin. The LORD is with you when you are with Him. If you seek Him, He will be found by you, but if you forsake Him, He will forsake you.

Edited by vic66
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Advice?  Sure.  First follow Philippians 4:8 when you mind begins to wonder where it should not.

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

And if you want to be set free, follow the instruction found in Isaiah 58:6-14

Is this not the fast that I have chosen:
To loose the bonds of wickedness,
To undo the heavy burdens,
To let the oppressed go free,
And that you break every yoke?
Is it not to share your bread with the hungry,
And that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out;
When you see the naked, that you cover him,
And not hide yourself from your own flesh?
Then your light shall break forth like the morning,
Your healing shall spring forth speedily,
And your righteousness shall go before you;
The glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard.
Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer;
You shall cry, and He will say, ‘Here I am.’

If you take away the yoke from your midst,
The pointing of the finger, and speaking wickedness,
If you extend your soul to the hungry
And satisfy the afflicted soul,
Then your light shall dawn in the darkness,
And your darkness shall be as the noonday.
The Lord will guide you continually,
And satisfy your soul in drought,
And strengthen your bones;
You shall be like a watered garden,
And like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail.
Those from among you
Shall build the old waste places;
You shall raise up the foundations of many generations;
And you shall be called the Repairer of the Breach,
The Restorer of Streets to Dwell In.

If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath,
From doing your pleasure on My holy day,
And call the Sabbath a delight,
The holy day of the Lord honorable,
And shall honor Him, not doing your own ways,
Nor finding your own pleasure,
Nor speaking your own words,
Then you shall delight yourself in the Lord;
And I will cause you to ride on the high hills of the earth,
And feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father.
The mouth of the Lord has spoken.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

There are some 7 + BILLION people in the world today.... and everyone of them has serious problems; both spiritual and secular. I would suggest you do at least two things:

1) Join or attend a church that preaches and teaches the Scriptures (not just attend a church for an hour a week type of thing), get involved in their spiritual culture (there are thousands of churches - find one that speaks to you and will offer the spiritual guidance and knowledge you want and need. You will know it when it is presented to you.

2) Get you mind off of yourself. Whether it is through a church, a secular organization, whatever, find some organization that needs help and you have the skills or desire to help. This is important. Put yourself in a position or opportunity to help someone and you will find YOUR troubles will begin to disappear. Put your focus and energy on others and then you will help yourself.

One step at a time...... but please take the first step - God will NEVER let you down.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  695
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  06/17/1973

I see this topic was created more than 6 months ago and your latest was about a screenplay you were writing about spiritual warfare

Im interested in knowing has your faith changed for the better or worse since starting this thread 

Is the screenplay based on experiences you had with the occult since then and what if any changes have you noticed since?

many have given good advice but some time has passed since then.. 

how is the screenplay going or did you decide to take a break and wait for the spirit to lead you further 

Sometimes revisiting older threads can shed a new light on a subject for the good or reopen old wounds, if it is hurtful to think of the time you started this thread than do not let my own questions be a stumbling block to your progress

i hope you found the strength to overcome the fascination with the occult, or used it as a tool to warn others of the dangers of it by experience 

best of luck to you Brother

SHALOM❤️
"For I know the plans I have for you” — this is the Lord’s declaration — “plans for your welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope."

- ‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭29:11‬ 

Edited by MrBear
  • Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

On 1/16/2022 at 7:04 PM, Charlie744 said:

There are some 7 + BILLION people in the world today.... and everyone of them has serious problems; both spiritual and secular. I would suggest you do at least two things:

1) Join or attend a church that preaches and teaches the Scriptures (not just attend a church for an hour a week type of thing), get involved in their spiritual culture (there are thousands of churches - find one that speaks to you and will offer the spiritual guidance and knowledge you want and need. You will know it when it is presented to you.

2) Get you mind off of yourself. Whether it is through a church, a secular organization, whatever, find some organization that needs help and you have the skills or desire to help. This is important. Put yourself in a position or opportunity to help someone and you will find YOUR troubles will begin to disappear. Put your focus and energy on others and then you will help yourself.

One step at a time...... but please take the first step - God will NEVER let you down.

I'm currently a youth worship leader, I also help with worship on Sundays. I've been doing this for the past two years. I love to serve in the church and community whenever I can.

I used to run a musician's club at my university before 2020 happened and a personal medical situation. It unfortunately was something I had to let go of due to these factors. I've basically been healing, building up my resume, and trying to finish school, and going where the Lord sends me beyond that.

These temptations and struggles still happened in spite of this, perhaps because I am still rather young (22, in fact) and still growing. I will say that I have certainly been doing better.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

On 1/16/2022 at 8:36 PM, MrBear said:

I see this topic was created more than 6 months ago and your latest was about a screenplay you were writing about spiritual warfare

Im interested in knowing has your faith changed for the better or worse since starting this thread 

Is the screenplay based on experiences you had with the occult since then and what if any changes have you noticed since?

many have given good advice but some time has passed since then.. 

how is the screenplay going or did you decide to take a break and wait for the spirit to lead you further 

Sometimes revisiting older threads can shed a new light on a subject for the good or reopen old wounds, if it is hurtful to think of the time you started this thread than do not let my own questions be a stumbling block to your progress

i hope you found the strength to overcome the fascination with the occult, or used it as a tool to warn others of the dangers of it by experience 

best of luck to you Brother

SHALOM❤️
"For I know the plans I have for you” — this is the Lord’s declaration — “plans for your welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope."

- ‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭29:11‬ 

Hello! It has certainly changed for the better in the past six months. I just got out of a relationship a few weeks ago, which ended up being a good thing for me. I did have a couple of experiences, but mostly I felt indifferent about my most recent sinful endeavors. I think it's dead horse at this point, but I still have the temptations. I've realized that none of it is worth my time.

The best way I can describe the screenplay is that it is based on my own story but is told through another character's eyes, if that makes sense. I've been writing for a long time, mostly journaling. I've never known whether any experience of mine would become public, but, being in film school, I actually have the opportunity to create the film for real. We'll see if it happens.

After my last post, God showed me Proverbs 3:5-6. I don't know why exactly, but it quelled my fears and gave me peace. A day or so later, I had a sudden flood of ideas of how to write the screenplay. It was crazy! I've written lots of things, but I don't think I've ever had such an obvious frame of reference for writing a story. God gave me peace about the situation, but I didn't know what that meant exactly, then the flood came. I wrote nine pages (which is a little shorter than other types of publications, but still quite a bit) on a Sunday morning before church. It's really an interesting process. I'm fairly certain this is Spirit-lead.

I certainly want to use it as a tool to warn others. Exposing the darkness with light as it's said. I have no clue what God is planning to do with it, and admittedly, I'm scared to know what will happen, but I want to be faithful. If God wants to use my experiences to reveal the Truth to others, who I am to say "no" to God? He already has been doing this, but I suspect it will evolve into something larger. Does it still fascinate me? Unfortunately, yes. However, I know I'm standing on God's rock, and I can't forget that. It's been a healing process for my mind.

• This is Worthy 1