Jedi4Yahweh

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

Ever so often I come across articles and commentaries about how Joseph most likely had a previous marriage with other children prior to Mary.  I have always wondered where they get that from.  After doing some research, I found no scripture or historical evidence, that supports this claim.  Also, I found out where this teaching primarily comes from.  This was and still is a doctrine taught in Catholic churches.  They teach that Jesus was the only child of Mary even though scriptures says otherwise. Scriptures tell of Jesus having several brother and sister siblings.  The Catholic Church teaches that Mary is a type of divinity (Goddess/Mother of Heaven) therefore any children born from Mary would have a divine nature as well, like Jesus.  Since none of her other children were divine they claim they were from a pervious marriage by Joseph.  They teach that Mary remains a virgin (perpetually) meaning she never had sex while on earth, hence no other children.  The fallacy with this teaching is that they have elevated Mary as a divinity above Jesus and therefore meaning the source of Jesus's divinity comes from Mary.

Have any of you ran into people claiming this?  It was not too long ago on this forum I was debating a catholic who was stating this.

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,250
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

I have never seen this taught by Catholics that Mary is a higher god than Jesus.  The Catholic Church has always taught the Jesus is fully man and fully God, and that his humanity came from Mary.  They just teach that she was born without sin and didn't have sex.   They think Mary already ascended to heaven and is now called the queen of heaven, and that she intercedes for Catholics.  This is contrary to Scripture that says Christ is the only intermediary between God and man and is our intercessor.  There is nothing that says any dead person or saint can intercede for or help anyone.  We should only pray to God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  We should never pray to angels or people.  There are people who pray to their dead relatives.  The Bible states this very sinful and calls it praying to familiar spirits.  

It is sad what happens when a church departs from Scripture.  You can't even reason with Catholics because they don't rely on plainly read Scripture to back up their beliefs.  They rely on their traditions and the interpretations of their priests.  That is why Catholics are now placed in their own section away from our main forum so they can't confuse new believers with their unbiblical doctrines.  

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  774
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,949
  • Content Per Day:  3.05

John warned the church about the whore of babylon in the book of Revelation. She is drunk with the blood of the saints. The Inquisition.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

15 hours ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

Ever so often I come across articles and commentaries about how Joseph most likely had a previous marriage with other children prior to Mary.  I have always wondered where they get that from.  After doing some research, I found no scripture or historical evidence, that supports this claim.  Also, I found out where this teaching primarily comes from.  This was and still is a doctrine taught in Catholic churches.  They teach that Jesus was the only child of Mary even though scriptures says otherwise. Scriptures tell of Jesus having several brother and sister siblings.  The Catholic Church teaches that Mary is a type of divinity (Goddess/Mother of Heaven) therefore any children born from Mary would have a divine nature as well, like Jesus.  Since none of her other children were divine they claim they were from a pervious marriage by Joseph.  They teach that Mary remains a virgin (perpetually) meaning she never had sex while on earth, hence no other children.  The fallacy with this teaching is that they have elevated Mary as a divinity above Jesus and therefore meaning the source of Jesus's divinity comes from Mary.

Have any of you ran into people claiming this?  It was not too long ago on this forum I was debating a catholic who was stating this.

The Catholics like to say that Joseph was married before he was married to Mary. They do not like to believe that the Bible tells us that Joseph and Mary had other children besides Jesus Christ. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  431
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/31/1950

15 hours ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

i have not heard this before . people defending doctriness and traditions over truth i think its sad, but then dont look to closely at me...

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,244
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

16 hours ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

Have any of you ran into people claiming this?

Yes

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

Never saw anything to this effect in the bible

and no other source matters

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  0

I have a catholic colleague who believes this. However, it is a false catholic doctrine and not Bible doctrine. When I point out that Joseph did not 'know' her "UNTIL" (meaning Joseph did  not 'know' her  before she gave birth to Jesus) implying that he did afterward, she simply says that she would have to have her priest explain it to me. She cannot explain it.

No doubt Mary is a special lady to be chosen to bring Jesus into the world, but, she is in nowise the 'queen of heaven' , or 'the mother of God'.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.95
  • Days Won:  21

This all about the failed RCC doctrine of Immaculate Conception. They had to invent a way to keep Mary from being a 'sinner' because the silly Augustinian doctrine of original sin caught them between a rock and a hard place.

One dumb idea leads to many others.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,506
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

On 2/8/2022 at 8:40 PM, Jedi4Yahweh said:

Yes, that's the Catholic dogma. Yesterday's evening service at church and Bible verses are appliable to this discussion. Carefully think about what Jesus is saying and who this would be applied to:

Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.