• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/01/2002

Hello,

I was out to dinner with a few friends. And my Lutheran friend told me her church is accepting of abortion and gay marriage. I was shocked. As a Roman Catholic with very conservative morals I was ready to walk out. Do other religions accept abortion and gay marriage?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,832
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Days Won:  2

That's a great question.  Your Lutheran friend must being to a progressive Lutheran church.  Progressives  have infiltrated many denominations.  I have a couple of progressive friends.  It's terribly sad.

They are characterized by denying scripture where it doesn't suit them.  For example - 

• They deny the scriptures that explain marriage as between a man and a woman; scriptures that forbid homosexuality; scriptures that forbid whatever pet sin or wickedness that they do not want to give up.
  • They are only generally interested in social justice and they ignore everything else.
  • This movement has split the Methodist and the Presbyterian church in two - ripping these denominations apart.

Here's how to tell if a church is leaning towards or already at the progressive state.  I took this from the following link.

5 Signs Your Church Might be Heading Toward Progressive Christianity - Discipleship.org

• The lower the value of the Bible.  They will say things like,  "I disagree with Paul, Peter, or King Solomon."  "The Bible teaches an acceptance of slavery, so the Bible isn't always right."  They deny the inspiration of the Bible.  They believe the Bible to be just a history book written by humans void of the Holy Spirit.  They deny the authority of the Word of God.
  • Because the Bibles is almost de-valued, what becomes important is opinion, personal experiences, feelings, and other humanistic ideas take precedence.
  • Essential Christian doctrine, the fundamentals or basics, are all open for interpretation and re-interpretation.
  • The message of the gospel of Jesus Christ is gone.  The message now is social justice.  Everyone has to be embraced and their lifestyles HAVE TO be embraced.
  • They embrace the fact that "God is love" and reject the fact that God has a justified wrath.

This movement is wildly popular with those who just think themselves Christian.  They don't understand God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, nor the Bible at all.

• Well Said! 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,974
  • Content Per Day:  2.14

2 minutes ago, Jayne said:

That's a great question.  Your Lutheran friend must being to a progressive Lutheran church.  Progressives  have infiltrated many denominations.  I have a couple of progressive friends.  It's terribly sad.

They are characterized by denying scripture where it doesn't suit them.  For example - 

• They deny the scriptures that explain marriage as between a man and a woman; scriptures that forbid homosexuality; scriptures that forbid whatever pet sin or wickedness that they do not want to give up.
  • They are only generally interested in social justice and they ignore everything else.
  • This movement has split the Methodist and the Presbyterian church in two - ripping these denominations apart.

Here's how to tell if a church is leaning towards or already at the progressive state.  I took this from the following link.

5 Signs Your Church Might be Heading Toward Progressive Christianity - Discipleship.org

• The lower the value of the Bible.  They will say things like,  "I disagree with Paul, Peter, or King Solomon."  "The Bible teaches an acceptance of slavery, so the Bible isn't always right."  They deny the inspiration of the Bible.  They believe the Bible to be just a history book written by humans void of the Holy Spirit.  They deny the authority of the Word of God.
  • Because the Bibles is almost de-valued, what becomes important is opinion, personal experiences, feelings, and other humanistic ideas take precedence.
  • Essential Christian doctrine, the fundamentals or basics, are all open for interpretation and re-interpretation.
  • The message of the gospel of Jesus Christ is gone.  The message now is social justice.  Everyone has to be embraced and their lifestyles HAVE TO be embraced.
  • They embrace the fact that "God is love" and reject the fact that God has a justified wrath.

This movement is wildly popular with those who just think themselves Christian.  They don't understand God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, nor the Bible at all.

Excellent 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.54
  • Days Won:  15

1 hour ago, Jillheil said:

Hello,

I was out to dinner with a few friends. And my Lutheran friend told me her church is accepting of abortion and gay marriage. I was shocked. As a Roman Catholic with very conservative morals I was ready to walk out. Do other religions accept abortion and gay marriage?

Churches are splitting over this issues and ordination of gay pastors/priests. 

The Luther Church schismed into two halves, as has The Presbyterians, Methodists, and other denominations. 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I took your question as asking about non-Christian religions (as opposed to denominational views) and I suppose the best summary of religious positions is given by the Pew Research Center. They have a write-up on this very topic, but I was not entirely surprised that they don't provide the viewpoints of the Orthodox (neither OCA or other).

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,996
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.68
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, Jillheil said:

Hello,

There are many denominations and they have their own beliefs.  What we should be seeking is a body of believers where the gospel of Christ is preached.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.54
  • Days Won:  15

6 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

There are many denominations and they have their own beliefs.  What we should be seeking is a body of believers where the gospel of Christ is preached.

All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper), and to prayer.” -Acts 2:42

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,832
  • Content Per Day:  1.28

1 hour ago, Slibhin said:

Why are people here so obsessed with gays and abortion is a better question.

You have to understand Christianity, Slibhin.  You see us as oddities and your have not been shy about saying so.

It's not "people here" "obsessed" with gays and abortion.

It's people here believing what the Bible says about these things.

Gay marriage is not a bigger sin than any other sin.  Neither is abortion.  I have gay friends, yes, I said friends.  They know where I stand and that I pray for them.  And I have counseled, in love, women who regret having abortions.

I'm not obsessed with them.

I know that you don't believe in the Bible, so I don't know if anything I say will make a difference.

The book of Romans is crystal clear that homosexuality is a sign that God has "given a group of people over" to their debased mind and vile passions.  God basically says, "That's what you want - go ahead."  And homosexuality along with the same old same old envious and the proud mark the beginning of the wrath of God towards that people.

I know you don't believe that, but I'm asking you not to be so judgmental.  You won't read a Christian Bible because you say you can't touch it.  You won't enter a church.  I do wish you would read a Bible online - if your Judaism would allow that.

We are not "obsessed".  We see the truth and the outcome.

• Well Said! 3

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  547
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  33,529
  • Content Per Day:  5.11
  • Days Won:  252
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

Actually what is the concern is that people who claim to be  Christians and   are leading others  are saying these things ...if they are NOT correct then they are leading other newer /less able Christans into sin . If they stopped calling theselves Christian leadersthen we would just pray for themand not be having this discussion at all 

• Thumbs Up 1