IGNORED

WorthyNews:Biden Says He Wants Congress To Pass Gun Control In Lame-Duck Session

WorthyNewsBot

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,830
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Days Won:  2

6 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

They do not carry the title of President before their name.  President Obama?  President Bush? President Carter?   Sorry, but what you say isn't the case.

You've never heard these men referred to as "President" after their term is over?

I've heard all of them referred to as President.  Not all of the time, but a lot.  I thought it was just understood.  

I've done it myself many times.

Edited by Jayne
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,628
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  0

38 minutes ago, Jayne said:

You've never heard these men referred to as "President" after their term is over?

I've heard all of them referred to as President.  Not all of the time, but a lot.  I thought it was just understood.  

I've done it myself many times.

They have not been correctly referred to as President when they were no longer in office, unless the reference was historical in nature.  For example, "President Nixon resigned".  This was never an issue until ex-President Trump and others continue to deliberately refer to him as "President Trump", even in legal matters.

Ex-President Trump as never conceded defeat and has "Hail to the Chief" played at Mar-a-Lago.  The issue has gained even greater importance with his mishandling of classified documents.

There is one President: Joe Biden.

Edited by JimmyB
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.18
  • Days Won:  58

1 hour ago, JimmyB said:

They do not carry the title of President before their name.  President Obama?  President Bush? President Carter?   Sorry, but what you say isn't the case.

Sorry jimmy but you are wrong. Here are two examples.

From yesterday's news

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/president-barack-obama-to-offer-reflections-at-sandy-hook-promise-benefit-ahead-of-10-year-remembrance-301689293.html

NEW YORK, Nov. 29, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- On Tuesday, December 6, Sandy Hook Promise (SHP) will commemorate the 10-year remembrance of the Sandy Hook Elementary School tragedy with a benefit evening at The Ziegfeld Ballroom in New York City. President Barack Obama will deliver remarks and reflections.

From one hour ago

AT CAMP DAVID, GCC STATES SET TO IGNORE PRESIDENT OBAMA’S CONCERNS ON INTERNAL CHALLENGES

The challenge that President Obama will face in having “difficult conversations” about internal governance questions with leaders of Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) states was made abundantly clear at a briefing on “The Future of the US-Gulf Partnership” at The Atlantic Council on Thursday.

When asked about President Obama’s comments on the need for GCC states to meet their internal challenges with political reforms, featured speaker United Arab Emirates (UAE) ambassador Yousef al-Otaiba was dismissive. “We do not share your democratic values,” he stated bluntly.

https://humanrightsfirst.org/library/at-camp-david-gcc-states-set-to-ignore-president-obamas-concerns-on-internal-challenges-2/

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.18
  • Days Won:  58

@JimmyBHowever I have a question. When trump was president, did you give him the courtesy of calling him president trump? Or were you like others I saw who only refered to him as a number, or without the title, or even the highly disrespectful tRump?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,830
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Days Won:  2

53 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

This was never an issue until ex-President Trump and others continue to deliberately refer to him as "President Trump", even in legal matters.

I've not heard of people "deliberately" referring to Trump as President Trump out of spite or ignorance.

Really, I've said President Obama, President Carter, President Reagan, and President Bush.

I don't always say President before their names, but I do many times.

I had no idea that this was a problem.

Oh, well.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,319
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

4 hours ago, JimmyB said:

It has been the custom here my whole life.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  308
  • Content Count:  18,151
  • Content Per Day:  4.59
  • Days Won:  327

5 hours ago, other one said:

It has been the custom here my whole life.

Mine too,and my parents and theirs as well.... I remember my Grandpa referring to  President Eisenhower and President Truman and anyone who was POTUS at one time or another.....

I cant seem to get the Title of " President" out of my mouth when referencing biden,I lost respect with barrack  obiden  & feel the same when he took office as Joe obiden

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  901
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

On 11/30/2022 at 8:11 AM, other one said:

Technically the USA is a constitutional republic.    The law of the land is the constitution and it is carried out by elected people filling positions set by the constitution.

Each person who is elected or works for one of the elected persons take an oath to do so by the laws set by the constitution and to uphold that constitution

Thank you very much for explaining.  It is much appreciated.  :)

On 11/30/2022 at 8:29 AM, kwikphilly said:

Hi abc!!! Greetings & Blessings- great to see ya ❤️

other one gave a very clear & concise definition

Your input is welcomed,no need to apologize,your explain is certainly helpful for those Intl folks👍

So between what Pat has said,other one & yourself I do hope people have a better understanding.....Thanks for your comments,always appreciated ❤️

With love in Christ, Kwik

Good to see you too kwik!  :)  Thank you very much for your kind reply :)

I mentioned about possible differences in definitions for terms such as democracy and republic. ... In the past on the internet (even on worthy)  sometimes there have been confusion or misunderstanding between folk inside and outside the Usa.. because oftentimes  both sides might not always realise that the other side is using a different definition for a term.. or why they are doing so...

So nowadays I sometimes mention about the different definitions.. so hopefully my fellow worthy members would please also keep in mind that there are some differences....  :b:

Anyways thanks again for your kind words.. (and your patience with me!  :b:  ;)  lol )

Thanks!

:)

Ps.  I came across this article which gives a list of definitions of the term republic .... (If I am not mistaken Merriam-Webster is an american dictionary? )

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/republic#:~:text=%3A a government in which supreme,such a form of government

The first definition i.e   "definition  1.a " is similar to commonly used meaning  or definition used by folk in many /most countries around the world.. outside the Usa....

On the other hand.. the definition "1.b" to me I am guessing might be similar to meaning or definition used by many folk inside the Usa ?  :unsure:

No offence intended kwik.. but just wanted to post the list of definitions to try to explain what I mean about there being  differences..

Thanks again very much for your patience! 

Sorry for long post :b: 

(wonders if there is a timeout corner on the forums for longwinded posters? :whistling:  hehe just kidding! 

Edited by just_abc

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  901
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

On 11/30/2022 at 8:31 AM, The_Patriot21 said:

A democracy and a republic are two completely different forms of government. There's a representative democracy, which is more in tune with what Australia has, but it's still not a true republic. 

hi Pat

I am a bit curious.... (well actually I am a lot curious  :b:  lol) ....

I am wondering.... what is the difference (if any)   between the definition of a representative democracy and the definition of a republic in the Usa / american english ?  

As an outsider who has never been to your country.... to me both definitions (in the Usa) seem possibly very similar or almost identical maybe ?? :unsure:

Or am I mistaken I dunno.. :unsure:

Thanks.  

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  308
  • Content Count:  18,151
  • Content Per Day:  4.59
  • Days Won:  327

2 hours ago, just_abc said:

Thank you very much for explaining.  It is much appreciated.  :)

Good to see you too kwik!  :)  Thank you very much for your kind reply :)

I mentioned about possible differences in definitions for terms such as democracy and republic. ... In the past on the internet (even on worthy)  sometimes there have been confusion or misunderstanding between folk inside and outside the Usa.. because oftentimes  both sides might not always realise that the other side is using a different definition for a term.. or why they are doing so...

So nowadays I sometimes mention about the different definitions.. so hopefully my fellow worthy members would please also keep in mind that there are some differences....  :b:

Anyways thanks again for your kind words.. (and your patience with me!  :b:  ;)  lol )

Thanks!

Ps.  I came across this article which gives a list of definitions of the term republic .... (If I am not mistaken Merriam-Webster is an american dictionary? )

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/republic#:~:text=%3A a government in which supreme,such a form of government

The first definition i.e   "definition  1.a " is similar to commonly used meaning  or definition used by folk in many /most countries around the world.. outside the Usa....

On the other hand.. the definition "1.b" to me I am guessing might be similar to meaning or definition used by many folk inside the Usa ?  :unsure:

No offence intended kwik.. but just wanted to post the list of definitions to try to explain what I mean about there being  differences..

Thanks again very much for your patience! 

Sorry for long post :b: 

(wonders if there is a timeout corner on the forums for longwinded posters? :whistling:  hehe just kidding! 

Blessings ABC

If there is a " long winded" poster section you'd have to share it with Omega !!! Rofl :24:

I take no offense,American English is very very DIFFERENT to say the least, in comparison to the kings English(or shall I say "Queens" lol)

Years ago after retirement I worked for some friends part time doing sales ( telephone).    I enjoyed the overnight shift that sold to the UK,part of the job training was being taught the " jargon" or they'd have no idea what in the world we were talking about!!!!!

I have learned over the years that the USA is the one that's different,unusual and set apart so I'd better learn to listen and be ready for correction if I wanted to be heard - growing up in NYC,NY - an Intl melting pot.

In His Love,Kwik