David1701

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.56
  • Days Won:  12

The reasons why God chooses some for salvation and not others are given in general terms; and they are all based on God's will and pleasure, his glory and his grace.

Eph. 1:4-6, 11 (KJV)
4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

1) God has purposed to choose a people for himself, to make us holy and without blame before him in love

2) God has purposed to choose a people for himself, to adopt us into his family

3) God's purpose in election to salvation, is the good pleasure of his will

4) God's purpose in election to salvation, is the glory of his grace.

5) God predestined his chosen ones to salvation, according to the purpose and counsel of his own will.

1 Cor. 1:27-31 (KJV)
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

A) God has chosen the foolish things of the world, to confound the "wise"

B) God has chosen the weak things to confound the "mighty"

C) God has chosen the despised, to bring to nothing those who are something, in human terms

D) God's purpose in this is that no-one should boast in his presence

E) It is of God that we are in Christ Jesus (i.e. not our will or decision)

F) All this is for one, overarching purpose: that the one who glories, glories in the Lord

Rom. 9:14-16 (KJV)
14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

1) God's shows mercy and compassion to whom he will

2) The basis for God's choice of whom to have mercy upon, is not man's will, or works, but within God himself, who shows mercy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  3,033
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  0

38 minutes ago, David1701 said:

The reasons why God chooses some for salvation and not others are given in general terms; and they are all based on God's will and pleasure, his glory and his grace.

Eph. 1:4-6, 11 (KJV)
4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

1) God has purposed to choose a people for himself, to make us holy and without blame before him in love

2) God has purposed to choose a people for himself, to adopt us into his family

3) God's purpose in election to salvation, is the good pleasure of his will

4) God's purpose in election to salvation, is the glory of his grace.

5) God predestined his chosen ones to salvation, according to the purpose and counsel of his own will.

1 Cor. 1:27-31 (KJV)
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

A) God has chosen the foolish things of the world, to confound the "wise"

B) God has chosen the weak things to confound the "mighty"

C) God has chosen the despised, to bring to nothing those who are something, in human terms

D) God's purpose in this is that no-one should boast in his presence

E) It is of God that we are in Christ Jesus (i.e. not our will or decision)

F) All this is for one, overarching purpose: that the one who glories, glories in the Lord

Rom. 9:14-16 (KJV)
14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

1) God's shows mercy and compassion to whom he will

2) The basis for God's choice of whom to have mercy upon, is not man's will, or works, but within God himself, who shows mercy.

It is true that God chooses. He acts according to His foreknowledge, His righteousness, His glory and His sovereignty. But the term "chosen to salvation", if I'm not wrong, appears only once in scripture - 2nd Thessalonians 2:13. And there the context is escape from the Tribulation that follows the crowning of the Beast.

Otherwise, your posting is appreciated. It reminded me that nothing happens that surprises God. He is involved in all decisions.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, AdHoc said:

It is true that God chooses. He acts according to His foreknowledge, His righteousness, His glory and His sovereignty. But the term "chosen to salvation", if I'm not wrong, appears only once in scripture - 2nd Thessalonians 2:13. And there the context is escape from the Tribulation that follows the crowning of the Beast.

Otherwise, your posting is appreciated. It reminded me that nothing happens that surprises God. He is involved in all decisions.

That God foreknew, when it refers to people, as contrasted with events, does not mean "knew about beforehand", but, "chose beforehand".

Here is what BDAG says (the foremost Koine Greek lexicon)

Foreknow (proginosko)

BDAG:
προγινώσκω

1. to know beforehand or in advance, have foreknowledge (of) τί someth.
Hs 7:5. Abs., in advance 2 Pt 3:17.

2. choose beforehand τινά someone Ro 8:29., 11:2, Pass. of Christ προεγνωσμένος πρὸ καταβολῆς κόσμου 1 Pt 1:20.—Know from time past προγινώσκοντές με ἄνωθεν Ac 26:5.

Regarding 2nd Thess...

2 Thess. 2:8-13 (KJV)

8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:
  9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
  10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
  11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
  12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness. 
  13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
  14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Verses 12 and 13 show that this is a contrast between those who are to be damned and those whom God chose, from the beginning, to salvation.  The means God chose to save us, is through setting apart, by the Holy Spirit, and belief of the truth.

That those chosen to salvation were not merely at some vague time in the future, but also right there and then, is proved by the fact that verse 13 says, "But we are bound to give thanks always to God for you...because God has, from the beginning, chosen you to salvation...".

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Rosie1jack2pauline3 said:

AMEN!!!....David ,I still can’t understand why he chose a “ WRETCH “ like me...I will forever Praise His Holy Name!!...🙏💗

He chose you (and other wretches, like myself), to show his mercy and grace in your life; to bring glory to himself; to set you apart for holy purposes; to adopt you into his family; to show you his lovingkindness; also, so that you cannot boast and will be to his praise.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

6 minutes ago, David1701 said:

That God foreknew, when it refers to people, as contrasted with events, does not mean "knew about beforehand", but, "chose beforehand".

Here is what BDAG says (the foremost Koine Greek lexicon)

Foreknow (proginosko)

BDAG:
προγινώσκω

1. to know beforehand or in advance, have foreknowledge (of) τί someth.
Hs 7:5. Abs., in advance 2 Pt 3:17.

2. choose beforehand τινά someone Ro 8:29., 11:2, Pass. of Christ προεγνωσμένος πρὸ καταβολῆς κόσμου 1 Pt 1:20.—Know from time past προγινώσκοντές με ἄνωθεν Ac 26:5.

Regarding 2nd Thess...

2 Thess. 2:8-13 (KJV)

8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:
  9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
  10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
  11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
  12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness. 
  13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
  14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Verses 12 and 13 show that this is a contrast between those who are to be damned and those whom God chose, from the beginning, to salvation.  The means God chose to save us, is through setting apart, by the Holy Spirit, and belief of the truth.

That those chosen to salvation were not merely at some vague time in the future, but also right there and then, is proved by the fact that verse 13 says, "But we are bound to give thanks always to God for you...because God has, from the beginning, chosen you to salvation...".

You haven't disagreed with me on any one point, but I get the feeling that you think that the fall of man was because God sent then a strong delusion about "lies", or "lying wonders". But feelings can be wrong, so I'll leave it at that.

• Thanks 1

Just now, AdHoc said:

You haven't disagreed with me on any one point, but I get the feeling that you think that the fall of man was because God sent then a strong delusion about "lies", or "lying wonders". But feelings can be wrong, so I'll leave it at that.

The fall of man was not on my mind at all; in fact, I have never even considered the possibility that God might have sent the devil to tempt Eve, because she did not have a love for the truth.

Thanks for that.  I will have to consider this and pray about it.

7 minutes ago, David1701 said:

The fall of man was not on my mind at all; in fact, I have never even considered the possibility that God might have sent the devil to tempt Eve, because she did not have a love for the truth.

Thanks for that.  I will have to consider this and pray about it.

Thanks for the clarification. God bless.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Rosie1jack2pauline3 said:

I don’t know why I deleted my post..I agree 100% how can I boast that God birthed me in the Spirit, I can’t, why, because it was a supernatural act from God!

All I can do is Praise Him....” All Day Long”....🙏💗

My posting was also deleted, but we haven't disagreed in any way yet. I'l leave it.

Go well and God bless.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

55 minutes ago, Rosie1jack2pauline3 said:

When God speaks, NO ONE ON THE EARTH......can take his word away.....The Spirit himself  testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children , how AMAZING!!...is that!!..

Romans 8:16 
King James Bible
The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

New King James Version
The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,

American Standard Version
The Spirit himself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are children of God:

Berean Study Bible
The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.

Douay-Rheims Bible
For the Spirit himself giveth testimony to our spirit, that we are the sons of God. 

English Revised Version
The Spirit himself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are children of God:

World English Bible
The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God;

Young's Literal Translation
The Spirit himself doth testify with our spirit, that we are children of God;

Hi @Rosie1jack2pauline3 I do wish more ppl would just simply read and take in a tremendous chapter such as Romans 8, before making statements about what they don't believe about God's sovereignty, etc.....

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, AdHoc said:

My posting was also deleted, but we haven't disagreed in any way yet. I'l leave it.

Go well and God bless.

I don't know who deleted the posts, or why.  I hope it was just a glitch.

Edited by David1701