• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

18 minutes ago, Churchmouse said:

I've always thought the we should guard our hearts from that which might be enviable to them or should lead us astray. The Bible speaks of those with familiar spirits, more than once.

(1) Leviticus 19:31  "Do not turn to mediums or spiritists; do not seek them out to be defiled by them. I am the LORD your God."

(2) Deuteronomy 18:10-12  "There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. "For whoever does these things is detestable to the LORD; and because of these detestable things the LORD your God will drive them out before you.

(3) Isaiah 8:19  When they say to you, "Consult the mediums and the spiritists who whisper and mutter," should not a people consult their God? Should they consult the dead on behalf of the living?

(4) Leviticus 20:6  'As for the person who turns to mediums and to spiritists, to play the harlot after them, I will also set My face against that person and will cut him off from among his people.

(5) Leviticus 20:27  'Now a man or a woman who is a medium or a spiritist shall surely be put to death. They shall be stoned with stones, their bloodguiltiness is upon them.'

This has to do with real actual people going out and doing this stuff, for real.  I don't think people wake up one day and decide to be these people and I don't think that anything Harry Potter would bring up that would make adults want to do what the character of Harry Potter was supposed to have done. It is the kids that are at risk of this and I would think we as adult Christians should not promote, by our own actions any of this stuff.  Unfortunately there are some out there who will do something, just to do something and that leads us to what I am talking about.  These people who promote this stuff dangle it in front of us and then record our actions to promote it as something decadently naughty. The world loves the idea of being a renegade, especially if they don't think it will hurt them.  They want a rush. A sensation of acting out and that's what these advertisement companies are all about.

They get what they want. The public gets broadsided with the naughty gun and we get the sensation that we somehow protected society from them. It's all sensation and nothing real came out of anything other than a paycheck to the author which only stirs her to write more. Does anyone think that if the sales of Harry Potter would have been bolstered by our actions, there would have ever been the second or third book?

It is the kids that are at risk of this and I would think we as adult Christians should not promote, by our own actions any of this stuff

Amen Churchmouse!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

6 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

Hey neb

Hmm,,,,,? Eulalia,Lord Brocktree...right?

Yes. And don't forget Martin the Warrior!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,147
  • Content Per Day:  4.60
  • Days Won:  327

LOL,,,,,yes neb,I did forget....those were great/fun stories   I liked them heaps   

2 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

LOL,,,,,yes neb,I did forget....those were great/fun stories   I liked them heaps   

Cool!

By the way, does anyone here actually know what witchcraft - real witchcraft - is about?

If you think it's just casting spells, you are wrong.

Real witchcraft is a religion. And it is about making a god out of yourself.

That kind of stuff is not  brought out in the HP books. You can argue guilty by association, or it may lead children to explore the real stuff, but please don't confuse what is in the books with what is reality, as that does no one a service.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  140
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,275
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Days Won:  0

On 2016-06-20 at 8:05 PM, LadyKay said:

Oh no not the Harry Potter post again. :fryingpan:

There's no necromancy in Harry Potter! I know cause I read all the books and I do not recall any necromancy. Anyway Harry Potter isn't really about witches and witchcraft.Just like Frankenstein isn't  about a monster.  It is about life, death and friendship. Racism and loyalty. Love and family.   Having the courage to stand up for what is right. But since most of you here refuse to read the books, you will never understand that part of it. And I will most likely get a "talking to " on here for admitting that I read the books. But that's okay I'm alright with it.

well thank you LK for stating your side as to how you view things.

I remember also another blog where you were endorsing playing dungeons and dragons.

For many of us who have come out of the things this world tried to beguile us with, we see for what the "harry potter" stories stand for. Sorry to hear you don't as yet or perhaps ever.

I do not endorse as a Christian things, that can mislead one away from the truth. and just because you LK see and embrace these "potter movies as harmless" does not mean they are.

Edited by 1to3

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

delet

Edited by LadyKay

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

7 hours ago, 1to3 said:

well thank you LK for stating your side as to how you view things.

I remember also another blog where you were endorsing playing dungeons and dragons.

For many of us who have come out of the things this world tried to beguile us with, we see for what the "harry potter" stories stand for. Sorry to hear you don't as yet or perhaps ever.

I do not endorse as a Christian things, that can mislead one away from the truth. and just because you LK see and embrace these "potter movies as harmless" does not mean they are.

All you people ever do here is judge me. I am always having to prove my Christianity to you all over and over again. After all the topic was asking me my views on Harry Potter which I freely gave. If it was a topic for only those who think of Harry Potter as evil then it should have said so. I can not freely give my views on anything even when ask to do so with out being ridiculed for it. If no one wants to know what I think about something then don't ask.

"In the world, not of the world" is a principle we all have to navigate, and I have come to believe that there is no "one size fits all" balance between the two.

Some people find it better for their faith, fellowship, and witness to lean more one way than the other on this issue.

Are we righteous in condemning others for not following our standards and what "works" for us?

Some lines are more murky than others in this.

2 minutes ago, Davida said:

Where do you get that idea from?

Which idea?

What I said about witchcraft or what I said about HP?

And if you disagree, what is your point of reference/experience/knowledge/whatever that challenges what I said?

Or are you asking because you don't know?