• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

OK, here is something I don't get.

It has been discussed already that there are two main thoughts on the interpretation of the Luke 22 passage, some say for self defense and others for the fulfilment of prophecy. I don't think it is a secret that I belong to the latter camp, LOL. That said, I really don't think the passage prohibits arms for self defense or really even speaks much into the issue.

What I am finding interesting is another similar scenaro in which Jesus sends out His disciples, but this time with nothing but a staff.

Mark 6 (NIV)

(6b) Then Jesus went around teaching from village to village. 7Calling the Twelve to him, he sent them out two by two and gave them authority over evil[b] spirits.

8These were his instructions: "Take nothing for the journey except a staff�no bread, no bag, no money in your belts. 9Wear sandals but not an extra tunic. 10Whenever you enter a house, stay there until you leave that town. 11And if any place will not welcome you or listen to you, shake the dust off your feet when you leave, as a testimony against them." 12They went out and preached that people should repent. 13They drove out many demons and anointed many sick people with oil and healed them.

I was curious what 'staff' meant and if it could in any way refer to a weapon, so here is what I pulled from blueletterbible on the greek:

Strong's G4464 - rhabdos ῥάβδος

1) a staff, a walking stick, a twig, rod, branch

2) a rod with which one is beaten

3) a staff

a) as used on a journey, or to lean upon, or by shepherds

b) when applied to kings

1) with a rod of iron, indicates the severest, most rigorous rule

2) a royal sceptre

It could be used by self defense, I guess, but it differs from a sword in it's use and ability to protect. Your thoughts?

here is a use strongs missed and it proves it is a weapon

Deu 23: 12-13

And thou shalt have a paddle upon thy weapon; and it shall be, when thou wilt ease thyself abroad, thou shalt dig therewith, and shalt turn back and cover that which cometh from thee:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

brian do you have female soldiers in your guard unit? i do and that is why i say that. we dont encourage these days masculinity toughness. i hate to say but the army et all has instead become feminised instead of remaining masculine.

if you arent in you dont know. i have done bjj for three plus years. its alot harder to get a women in the military to understand the concept of wrestling in general. the same is with women outside the army. yes some do learn and have to adjust.

If you give a couple girls staffs they would make like they are a horse and put them between there legs and run around like their riding a horse but a couple boys would treat the staffs as swords a staff can be a useful weapon. Not against a gun but a 5 ot 6 feet long staff in the right hands can defend against a 3 feet long sword.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/17/1973

brian do you have female soldiers in your guard unit? i do and that is why i say that. we dont encourage these days masculinity toughness. i hate to say but the army et all has instead become feminised instead of remaining masculine.

if you arent in you dont know. i have done bjj for three plus years. its alot harder to get a women in the military to understand the concept of wrestling in general. the same is with women outside the army. yes some do learn and have to adjust.

No girls in field artilery units. I did work closely with female mp's for a while though.

Yep, when the only tool one has is a hammer, every problem starts looking like a nail.......

that is great, Fez!

Have you copyrighted it yet?

• 9 years later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

Christians and Guns?

As followers of Jesus, we can't use guns. After all, can you imagine Jesus using a military uniform and wielding something that only serves to kill, steal and destroy? 

• Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.94
  • Days Won:  21

7 hours ago, Leonardo Von said:

As followers of Jesus, we can't use guns. After all, can you imagine Jesus using a military uniform and wielding something that only serves to kill, steal and destroy? 

See the three accounts in the Tanakh with the Lord holding His sword. 1) with Joshua, 2) David at the threshing floor and 3) The speaking donkey account.
Who do you think destroyed the firstborn in Egypt? They were destroyed by the Destroyer, the Second Person of the Godhead - the pre incarnate Lord. Called YHWH.

If you do not read the Tanakh very thoroughly, you will not understand the New Testament.

The Lord High God can use whatever means He chooses to render His JUDGEMENT.

• Well Said! 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been carrying a Glock 9 mm IWB for some time.  While I have several 1911s and they are accurate, I plan to transition my EDC handgun to a CZ P-07 in the near future.  I've never shot a gun more accurate than any CZ, and I have a few to choose from.  I am a believer and have been for nearly 40 years.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

54 minutes ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

I've been carrying a Glock 9 mm IWB for some time.  While I have several 1911s and they are accurate, I plan to transition my EDC handgun to a CZ P-07 in the near future.  I've never shot a gun more accurate than any CZ, and I have a few to choose from.  I am a believer and have been for nearly 40 years.

Have you looked at the Sig P365? It wins against the Glock 43 handily.

:-)

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Being 74 and hands not as steady as they used to be, I would have to say that my Taurus 380, 40mm, and 9mm shoot about as accurate as your sigs and Glocks....    what I do know is that they have been shot hundreds upon hundreds and with one exception of a single box of amo without powder they all three have gone bang every time I pull the trigger.

Don't intend to get into a battle with anyone long range, actually more of a point and shoot distances for protection.   I actually practice shooting from the hip at ten to 15 feet most of the time.

If I need to shoot someone across the street I'll use the AR   It's good for about as far as I can see anyway.

Inside the house it's the Mossberg 12g.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Alive said:

Have you looked at the Sig P365? It wins against the Glock 43 handily.

:-)

I have not handled a Sig P365.  I have quite a few Sigs in my collection and like them all very much.  But Glocks have been my favorite from the start of my collecting days.  Up to now, my EDC gun has been a Glock 43, a Glock 26 or a Glock 23.  That is, until I started shooting CZs.  I thought I was shooting my best with Colt and Sig 1911s until I started shooting CZs like the CZ 75B and CZ 75B Compact.  I love the low bore axis of the CZs.  I have some CZs with safeties and some with decockers, some metal and some polymer.  I'm finding the smaller Glocks like the 42 and 43 are harder for me to retract the slide to load the first round from a full magazine.  I have psoriatic arthritis and find the bigger Glocks are easier to handle.