GoldenEagle

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I think it is important to note that the collections Paul took up for the poor was for the church in Jerusalem. We should always help poor and starving Christians, especially. Christ was full of compassion and we cannot help but be also if His Spirit dwells in us.

Our obligation should be first to our own household, if we have relatives in dire need. Our next obligation I would think would be to our family of believers. But we cannot pass by those we encounter with a need. It may be a person who has no coat in freezing weather and we have several. It may be a stranger in 100 degree weather who with his family has broken down beside the road without water or help. I still remember the family who rescued us in such a case when we blew a rod on the freeway in the middle of nowhere. We didn't have cell phones back then.

Of course we need to be listening to the Lord and not foolishly put ourselves in danger.

I wonder what your take is on Paul's collections for those in Jerusalem?

I agree our priorities should be God first, family second, Believers third, and then anyone else. As Christians helping others financially and physically should be in our DNA. :thumbsup:

I agree too there should be discernment. I personally do not like just handing out money. I'd rather buy food or items for a person because you never know when they might simply be trying to support an addiction (drug, alcohol, cigarettes, etc).

I understood that Jeruselem/Israel was experiencing a severe draught and famine. However, the fact that the church there was communal in nature and that they had given everything they had to the church, probably didn't help since they had no reserves to help in emergencies or time of need such as this. I do think it is noteworthy that the poorest churches, such as the one in ?Macedonia?, give beyond their means.

Sometimes we have to know what it is to be in need to have compassion on those who suffer in this way. Often the rich have no idea. I remember a lady who was amazed that I was sharing my clothing and belongings with people who were less fortunate. She was a new Christian but had always had trusts from "old money" in the east, and was a doctor's wife, as well. She

always sent her cast offs to the dump (landfill) where she expected people to salvage them. I doubt if she ever shared things that she may have used currently.

I have also found that few people, even Christians, are able to receive as from the Lord. They don't see God as their provider and people whom I have known have turned against me because they felt obligated to me. Or else they have abused my generosity. This is what is wrong with the welfare system. But if God tells me to give, i must obey. I have learned to to so annonomously whenever possible.

I don't want their thanks. I want a reward in heaven for simple obedience. I often give to a 3rd party to give to them. I rarely if ever give to beggars. Buying them a big Mac or giving a bottle of water is much more appropriate. We have 2 missions that our church is personally involved in. We have missionaries on the field there so the money or provision goes directly to the people. One is in Africa where they are church planting. One is in India among lepers and the Dalits, the poorest of the poor. We try to establish new Christians with income, such as a pair of goats, an old tredal sewing maching, or some sort of training. We have provided wells and sanitary facilities as well. In India the people lose all rights when they are baptised, making a public declaration of their faith. They cannot even use the wells for water, they lose their jobs, and they are kicked out of their homes with the clothes on their backs. There is great need there. Can you tell I have a passion for missions? They tear up Bibles and memorize books, passing them around like they do in China. Local indiginous pastors are in place to disciple. But there is great persecution.

You did say you wanted my thoughts.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,188
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

In Matthew chapter 25 Jesus tells us that it is important to help some poor..... Paul also tells us that if people don't work the church shouldn't feed them....

So I would say that Yes we should help the poor, but not necessarily beggers.. maybe that isn't the right word to describe those standing at intersections asking for donations.... but they should get a job.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,248
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

If God makes both to be (rich or poor)

1 Sa 2:7

7 The Lord makes poor and makes rich;

He brings low and lifts up.

NKJV

How can we distinguish blessings from God by material possessions or the not of them?

Love, Steven

Material possessions don't mean God's blessings in particular. God does as He wills - both to the Believer and Un-Beleiver. Would you agree?

Yes as Spiritual Life is now non dependent in things of this world

(The true freedom Christ has given us) and so Paul was content with either....both to abound or lack!

Love, Steven

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

A pastor I listen to on the radio mentioned today that as God's creation those who are not Believers do not have the same promises as those who are adopted into His family.

Thoughts on this?