IGNORED

Does this verse apply in the way that so many says it does?

firestormx

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Looking up the definition of the word "submit", it means yielding to the authority of another.

I am not sure what you are thinking of with "what so many say it does", but I am aware some interpret this to mean wives must be obedient without question. But that cheapens the person-hood of the woman. I would argue that a husband who "demands obedience" isn't loving his wife as Christ loves the Church - for Jesus is not that kind of an ogre. A loving husband will invite his wife's feelings and opinions and work with them, not squash them.

I would venture to say the verse means a wife should regard her husband as her leader - and let him lead.

In regards to the bolded part, that's exactly what I meant.

OK, I just wanted to be sure.

As for the rest....I looked up to the best of my ability the meaning of the original word used in the text. I can see why people would say obey. However, at the same time Christ said we as believers are his friends and brothers and sisters....not slaves only to obey. So I guess I'm stuck at is , where is the line??? Do you understand what I'm asking? I mean clearly nobody is to follow someone else into sin. I find myself stumbling over myself here without really knowing how to phrase this. Where does submission end and slavery begin in regards to wives?

I agree with what the other men said. As the man, your concern is with how to love your wife as Christ loves the church.

As for the wife's concern, being newly married, I'm still working this out. But it begins with the attitude of regarding my husband as the leader. In many ways, it is easy to follow his lead. In areas I have a hard time letting go of, things have been tense. In such a case, he often has to inform me that I am not trusting his lead.

If you notice how I worded this - using "following his lead" rather than "submission," I do this because of the concepts we have of these terms, and I think that "following his lead" is closer to the heart of the message in our understanding of the term.

If the wife is "obeying" out of fear rather than out of love, something is wrong.

If the wife is failing to submit to her husband, chances are there is a fear holding her back, and the only way to overcome fear is with love (1 John 4:18).

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I agree with what the other men said. As the man, your concern is with how to love your wife as Christ loves the church.

As for the wife's concern, being newly married, I'm still working this out. But it begins with the attitude of regarding my husband as the leader. In many ways, it is easy to follow his lead. In areas I have a hard time letting go of, things have been tense. In such a case, he often has to inform me that I am not trusting his lead.

If you notice how I worded this - using "following his lead" rather than "submission," I do this because of the concepts we have of these terms, and I think that "following his lead" is closer to the heart of the message in our understanding of the term.

If the wife is "obeying" out of fear rather than out of love, something is wrong.

If the wife is failing to submit to her husband, chances are there is a fear holding her back, and the only way to overcome fear is with love (1 John 4:18).

very well said....

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings to all,

firestormx,God bless you....I believe these are the people whos testimonies explain it all....other one is a love story that just melts my heart.....neb,clearly shows us that there is communication between her and her husband.....Fez is so in love with the wife God has put in his life and she with him.....and all these couples give all the glory to God and know the meaning of the Word of God by having the heart and mind of Christ......

The joy of the Lord is such a gift,the Holy Spirit is poured out over the marriage that is united by God and the Word is written on the hearts of the two that have become one flesh..........and His timeless truth is revealed...praise Jesus!

With love in Christ-Kwik

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

Have you guys got any idea of the responsibility we carry by that statement of scripture? It is often waved about in different discussions by those under the law, and those under grace, and those in the grey area in between the two.

If someone is submitting themselves to someone as they do to the Lord, it follows that the someone they are submitting to should be emulating the Lord. It is the only way this can work for the good of the Kingdom, and as such, for the good of the couple. Emulate, be like, as best you can be, like the Lord, all the time, 24/7.

That sums up every command Jesus ever gave, and every gospel Paul and other wrote, in one sentence.

Pause for a while and assimilate just how huge a responsibility that is.

I'm not marry (God willing it will happen) so take this with a grain of salt.  But I agree with the above statement

Yes the wives are commanded to submit to their husbands, but compare to what the husband is commanded her job is much easier.  We must go to verse 25 to see this command;

Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;   Ephesians 5:25

I will be the first to admit no woman or even us man like to submit, but ladies I think it would be easier to submit than love as much as Christ love the church.   But without the Holy Spirit power neither is possible.  But I think most women would willing submit to a husband who love them as Christ love the church, because Christ gave us unconditional love and even gave His life for the church.  If a man wants complete submission from the wife; she has every right to ask of the love of Christ from the man. 

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

BUT what does Ephesians 5:25-29 say? In a marriage there are 2 people and to question what one does and not the other is not just. They are ONE flesh not one mind or thought. For a husband to love his wife as he loves his own body is just as important as a wife submitting to her husband because if a husband loves his wife he loves himself. Yes in the end it means not to subjugate but to leave the final decision to the husband - unless he is wrong??

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Ephesians 5:22-24 (MSG)

22-24 Wives, understand and support your husbands in ways that show your support for Christ. The husband provides leadership to his wife the way Christ does to his church, not by domineering but by cherishing. So just as the church submits to Christ as he exercises such leadership, wives should likewise submit to their husbands.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

I'm NOT going to step on THAT land mine!

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I had to learn to submit to my husband BEFORE he was saved as 1 Peter 3 speaks about. To me from this side it means not only to obey him, but to honor and admire him even as Sarah called Abe Lord. It is as much about line of authority as it is about a good attitude. What is my attitude toward God? I should have the same sort of respect toward my husband as I have for God even when he doesn't seem to deserve it. I learned to trust that God can lead me and speak to me through my husband even before he was saved. And when he was wrong, I tried to keep my mouth shut and pray a lot. I figured that if I got out of God's way He would deal directly with hubby without my butting in. So I did my best to keep up the quiet and gentle spirit end of the deal and get out of God's way. It took a few years of God changing me before hubby was saved. However, we serve our husbands from a position of strength and not as a doormat. We lay down our lives to them as to the Lord. After Hubby was saved God allowed me to give more imput as a help meet. But it was a step by step walk in the Spirit, and learning to say nothing when God told me to.

I have encountered men that thought the Ephesians passage in question was only talking about sex. Like he was going to drag his wife off by her hair. That isn't exactly how Christ treats the church even if the Word does say she will be snatched away when He returns for her lol. But Hubby cares for me with a servent's heart. He treats me like a queen. He was actually hard to get used to after he was saved because he was so changed. I kept begging God to not take it away but give me grace to appreciate and endure such attention and affection. The change in him was dramatic.. And he is pretty much still the the new man, growing more perfect since 1974. Now I just thank and praise God for giving him to me. To be sure we both have a lot of faults. But God has given us faith to look beyond them and see each other as God sees us, through the blood of Jesus, so we focus on the good. I don't even remember the old man unless I am forced to remember as in a testamony.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

I had to learn to submit to my husband BEFORE he was saved as 1 Peter 3 speaks about. To me from this side it means not only to obey him, but to honor and admire him even as Sarah called Abe Lord. It is as much about line of authority as it is about a good attitude. What is my attitude toward God? I should have the same sort of respect toward my husband as I have for God even when he doesn't seem to deserve it. I learned to trust that God can lead me and speak to me through my husband even before he was saved. And when he was wrong, I tried to keep my mouth shut and pray a lot. I figured that if I got out of God's way He would deal directly with hubby without my butting in. So I did my best to keep up the quiet and gentle spirit end of the deal and get out of God's way. It took a few years of God changing me before hubby was saved. However, we serve our husbands from a position of strength and not as a doormat. We lay down our lives to them as to the Lord. After Hubby was saved God allowed me to give more imput as a help meet. But it was a step by step walk in the Spirit, and learning to say nothing when God told me to.

I have encountered men that thought the Ephesians passage in question was only talking about sex. Like he was going to drag his wife off by her hair. That isn't exactly how Christ treats the church even if the Word does say she will be snatched away when He returns for her lol. But Hubby cares for me with a servent's heart. He treats me like a queen. He was actually hard to get used to after he was saved because he was so changed. I kept begging God to not take it away but give me grace to appreciate and endure such attention and affection. The change in him was dramatic.. And he is pretty much still the the new man, growing more perfect since 1974. Now I just thank and praise God for giving him to me. To be sure we both have a lot of faults. But God has given us faith to look beyond them and see each other as God sees us, through the blood of Jesus, so we focus on the good. I don't even remember the old man unless I am forced to remember as in a testamony.

I really enjoyed reading your post. I do not think this verse is talking about sex either. I believe that is addressed in 1 Cor. 7. Where it talks to both husband and wife not to deny each other except for a time to fast and pray then come back together quickly so the devil does not tempt either husband nor wife. Those verses in 1 Cor. 7 ( I believe ) has always lead me to the conclusion that neither wife nor husband can deny affection to the other.