Edwin

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Thank you to all of you who have responded.

Could this one, I wonder be yet another type of Christ?

Subject: Jephthah's daughter.

Jdg 11:30   And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD, and said, "If You will indeed deliver the people of Ammon into my hands,
Jdg 11:31   "then it will be that whatever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the people of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD's, and I will offer it up as a burnt offering."
Jdg 11:32   So Jephthah advanced toward the people of Ammon to fight against them, and the LORD delivered them into his hands.
Jdg 11:33   And he defeated them from Aroer as far as Minnith--twenty cities--and to Abel Keramim,[fn1] with a very great slaughter. Thus the people of Ammon were subdued before the children of Israel.
Jdg 11:34   When Jephthah came to his house at Mizpah, there was his daughter, coming out to meet him with timbrels and dancing; and she was his only child. Besides her he had neither son nor daughter.
Jdg 11:35   And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he tore his clothes, and said, "Alas, my daughter! You have brought me very low! You are among those who trouble me! For I have given my word to the LORD, and I cannot go back on it."
Jdg 11:36   So she said to him, "My father, if you have given your word to the LORD, do to me according to what has gone out of your mouth, because the LORD has avenged you of your enemies, the people of Ammon."
Jdg 11:37   Then she said to her father, "Let this thing be done for me: let me alone for two months, that I may go and wander on the mountains and bewail my virginity, my friends and I."
Jdg 11:38   So he said, "Go." And he sent her away for two months; and she went with her friends, and bewailed her virginity on the mountains.
Jdg 11:39   And it was so at the end of two months that she returned to her father, and he carried out his vow with her which he had vowed. She knew no man. And it became a custom in Israel
Jdg 11:40   that the daughters of Israel went four days each year to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite.

Here we have, "female", type of Christ.

Firstly she is a firstborn, secondly she is a virgin, (a sign of purity, and holy ness), thirdly the expression, "two months", appears, "three times", and three draws our attention to the, "Trinity", and, "two", speaks of the second person of the Trinity.  This young girl who's name is not revealed in the above passage is prepared to lay down her life in order to save her father from the consequences of breaking his vow to the LORD. 

Every blessing.

Edwin. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Type or typology (the study of types) is a known biblically sound pictoral prophetic view as seen through an historic event in the bible. Jesus Himself refers to two distinct type events. One, that He would be in the grave as Jonah was in the belly of the whale. And two, that as Moses put the bronze serpent on the pole in Numbers, so that those who looked upon it would be saved from illness and death, so He would be put on the cross so those who look to Him may be saved. I have a if anyone is interested in learning further. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I'm kind of surprised that this concept seems foreign to some...2nd thread on this subject and the first one was also misunderstood

Type or typology (the study of types) is a known biblically sound pictoral prophetic view as seen through an historic event in the bible. 

What I have always heard and been taught^^^^

In the other thread, someone thought the op was trying to say there was more than one Christ and that was not at all what was being said

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,707
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I understand what the op is trying to get but I feel calling them types of Christ is the wrong way to say it-perhaps saying characterizations? or predecessors to christ? 

Types of Christ is the appropriate term pat.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,707
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I still disagree-to me there is only one type. there can only be one type-because there is only one Christ.

Pat I think you misunderstand the definition of type. 

Type is defined as an action or occurrence in which one event, person, or circumstance is intended to represent another, similar to it in some respects but of more importance and generally future. Scripture describes a type as a shadow of good things to come.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

I still disagree-to me there is only one type. there can only be one type-because there is only one Christ.

Yes,that is how I feel.Only one Christ type or no type.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Yes,that is how I feel.Only one Christ type or no type.

How can Jesus be a type of Himself?

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Ok, we get the point. I too agree that 'types of Christ' is the wrong expression regardless of whether it is commonly used or not, however, I do get the Op's point. I think foreshadows of Christ may be a more appropriate expression but I don't think that there's much purpose now in arguing too much about semantics.