IGNORED

To cover or not to cover ?

Izzel

Head covering   

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should Christian women cover their heads ?

• YES
    • NO
    • OTHER

Yes a woman should have hair on their head for it is her glory (comely-beauty not her own but what God naturally gave her) as scripture has so stated.  It is up to each individual woman to determine the length of her own hair.  The word long means to flop.  And I know logically that short or shaven hair does not flop.  This is my personal view about it.

Is it all right for a woman to wear long hair wigs ?

If a woman so desires to wear a long haired wig that up to them.  Me personally I don't think their is any evil being done by doing so. 

Their are women who lose their hair during chemotherapy are the uncovered because they are bald head ?

There is such a thing as a wig or a veil. 

I agree with bopeep. It was a cultural thing. It was offensive to see women in the church without long hair (her head covering). Long hair showed submission to God and her husband.

I don't think it applies to the 21st century Western culture. The custom and meaning has long been lost. St. Paul was saying that if a women wears short hair she might as well shave it all off. Prostitutes were known to have short or shaven heads. Dishonoring her head would mean she is dishonoring her husband. I don't see how this is applicable in Western society.

Of course we have little to go on when explaining why St. Paul was inspired to pen these words. If you are a woman who feels that God wants you to wear long hair, you should obey your conscience.

When the culture is at odds with scripture, I go with scripture.  There are a lot of things that are wrong in western society.  Long hair on a woman still shows submission to God and her husband, and when a man has short hair, it shows he is in submission to his spiritual head, Jesus Christ. 

What about women with short hair are they not covered ?

I believe I already told you that Biblically they are not considered to have their head covered, just as a man can have some hair and be considered Biblically to be uncovered.  It just has to be short.  BTW, I wouldn't feel right wearing a hat when I pray.  I agree with John DB on that, and I already came to the same conclusions a long time ago. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

Yes a woman should have hair on their head for it is her glory (comely-beauty not her own but what God naturally gave her) as scripture has so stated.  It is up to each individual woman to determine the length of her own hair.  The word long means to flop.  And I know logically that short or shaven hair does not flop.  This is my personal view about it.

Is it all right for a woman to wear long hair wigs ?

If a woman so desires to wear a long haired wig that up to them.  Me personally I don't think their is any evil being done by doing so. 

Their are women who lose their hair during chemotherapy are the uncovered because they are bald head ?

They are uncovered only in the sense that their hair has fallen out because of the chemotherapy.  It simply is no fault of their own.  Older women even often lose their hair but it is no fault of their own.  The scripture that was presented in the OP dealing with hair has nothing to do with a person(s) salvation or legalism.  But God has given women a natural power (beauty) within her hair and a womans hair is her glory (comely/power).   I want to add that a womans natural covering given her by God does not substitute or replace the blood covering that comes only through the shed blood of Christ for the remission of sin.  Because a person can cover their entire head with a bucket for that matter and still not be covered with the blood of Christ.    These types of discussions usually turn into stupidity to where the meaning and knowledge within the text of scripture can't be seen because of all the analogies that starts being made.    

I really do not know where you are coming from or what you want to specifically know from your OP.  Can you clarify more in detail.         

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Everyone....

I have to say that I stand in agreement with Brother Butero......just because the entire world has changed & become a modernized & progressive "anything goes" society we do know that God never changes nor does His Word........I think it is being reverent & submissive to the Lord to dorn the "glory" he has given us women

You know it is very funny that it was mentioned "what about women losing their hair to chemo".......I had many many months of chemo & when the doctors explained to me to be prepared to lose my hair because i was to undergo very aggressive chemo,I cried like a baby.........I tried to prepare myself by cutting about 12 inches off the length of my hair as it is very,very long.......I prayed & finally resolved myself to not be so prideful & that if it was Gods Will,then so be it............

Months later,as I watched everyone in my chemo group go completely bald I did not even lose one single hair on my head.............Glory to God,I don't know why the Lord let me keep my crown of glory but perhaps just to say"I Am the Lord God &  I  make every decision.............I am just grateful & give thanks to the Lord!

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  246
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/09/1974

1 Corinthians 11:5

King James Version (KJV)

But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

I believe so, because this is a teaching from the beginning.  If people maintaned the teachings of the beginning, the young wouldn't be so rebellious.  The new converts wouldn't fancy themselves overnight scholars.  The man would know his place, and abide in it.  The woman would know her place, and abide in hers.

A lot of problems with have in the Church, and in our homes, wouldn't exist ... if we maintained that which was taught from the BEGINNING.

When I was growing up, I remember those women wearing hats in church, etc.

The scripture says her long hair is a covering, so yes, she should have long hair.

So women with frizzy hair that doesn't grow long but grows out as in afro style and sits well above the shoulders - what's the direction in that case?

Not every woman has hair that naturally hangs.

So obviously, hair length is not relevant.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

John the Baptist, a nazarite, had long hair. It is sad when people are turned away from a church because of the length of their hair.

The key was in verse 16. We have no such custom. It was merely a custom or a tradition. Customs change. Nowdays if a woman is in submission to her husband and honors him, it is in her attitudes that she shows regard for him. 1Peter 3:2-6 elaborates on this. v. 2 when they observe the pure and modest way in which you conduct yourselves, together with your reverence for your husband. 3a Do not let your adornment be outward--v4 rather let it be the hidden person of the heart. So their humility, modesty and high regard for their husbands are most important. Should my husband want me to grow long hair and cover my head, I would do so and not think twice about it.

Today in our culture the symbol has completely lost its original meaning, and when men judge among themselves in verse13, most do not draw the same conclusions as people did in Paul's culture. Women who cover their heads as they did in the first century will be mistaken for muslims. At the royal wedding the women considered the hats that they wore as more of an object of pride than their hair. They just did it to have the most outlandish, expensive fashion and attract attention to themselves. This does not honor God or their husbands. I had to wear hats is the 50s and it was like the royal wedding, a prideful competition to have the latest fashion and to be seen by people. The same is true of women who spend time and big bucks for elaborate hair styles like they did in the first century so that their hair was their pride.. It is annoyingly hard for short people to see over or around other peoples hats or "big hair".

The last time I wore a hat to church was so as to not get suburned during the summer service in our amphatheater. The only one I owned was my official birdwatchers hat complete with bird poop painted on its top. Now I take an umbrella.

Guest Butero

The scripture says her long hair is a covering, so yes, she should have long hair.

So women with frizzy hair that doesn't grow long but grows out as in afro style and sits well above the shoulders - what's the direction in that case?

If its not relevant, why does the Bible say it is?  I didn't write 1 Corinthians, and I am not the one who said it is a shame for a man to have long hair, but for a woman, it is a glory and a covering to her.  If you have an argument, it is with God, not with me. 

Guest Butero

John the Baptist, a nazarite, had long hair. It is sad when people are turned away from a church because of the length of their hair.

The key was in verse 16. We have no such custom. It was merely a custom or a tradition. Customs change. Nowdays if a woman is in submission to her husband and honors him, it is in her attitudes that she shows regard for him. 1Peter 3:2-6 elaborates on this. v. 2 when they observe the pure and modest way in which you conduct yourselves, together with your reverence for your husband. 3a Do not let your adornment be outward--v4 rather let it be the hidden person of the heart. So their humility, modesty and high regard for their husbands are most important. Should my husband want me to grow long hair and cover my head, I would do so and not think twice about it.

Today in our culture the symbol has completely lost its original meaning, and when men judge among themselves in verse13, most do not draw the same conclusions as people did in Paul's culture. Women who cover their heads as they did in the first century will be mistaken for muslims. At the royal wedding the women considered the hats that they wore as more of an object of pride than their hair. They just did it to have the most outlandish, expensive fashion and attract attention to themselves. This does not honor God or their husbands. I had to wear hats is the 50s and it was like the royal wedding, a prideful competition to have the latest fashion and to be seen by people. The same is true of women who spend time and big bucks for elaborate hair styles like they did in the first century so that their hair was their pride.. It is annoyingly hard for short people to see over or around other peoples hats or "big hair".

The last time I wore a hat to church was so as to not get suburned during the summer service in our amphatheater. The only one I owned was my official birdwatchers hat complete with bird poop painted on its top. Now I take an umbrella.

It is not a sin issue, but it does matter.  It is a sign of submission.  We see it in the military when men are required to have their hair cut very short.  It shows they are under submission.  To me, what is wrong with the church is how they ignore scripture.  You don't spend all those verses telling men why they should have short hair and women should have long hair, only to make everything null and void with a single verse.  Why write any of it in the first place?  All it is saying is what the proper order is, and if someone wants to be contentious, so be it.  The order is what it is, but it is not a salvation issue.  Its not about salvation, but I don't want to shame my head by having long hair. 

BTW, can you provide scripture to show John the Baptist was under a Nazarite vow and had long hair?  Jesus never took a Nazarite vow, but was called a Nazarene because he dwelt in Nazareth for a time, and there is no evidence he had long hair.  If someone is under a Nazarite vow, they are to follow a lot of rules, and when the vow expires, they are to shave their head.  If someone wants to take the Nazarite vow, they should keep it, but I have never seen it practiced in the New Testament by anyone. 

If its not relevant, why does the Bible say it is? I didn't write 1 Corinthians, and I am not the one who said it is a shame for a man to have long hair, but for a woman, it is a glory and a covering to her. If you have an argument, it is with God, not with me.

Is the relevance on hair length or covering?