Love is alive

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2

I worked for the Chicago Public Schools for 11 years. The last 4 years they were starting to really push common core. That was a part of my breaking point for why I did not want to stay in the public school system. I now work at a daycare. I do not miss having to assistant with teaching the test. It was so stressful.

I thought is was ridiculous that children who are in 3rd grade who were taking the ISAT test was being asked to not only solve the math problem, but they are also asked to write in detail how they got their answer.

It was already bad enough that they are taking the test for the first time. Many of them still have not grasp the concept of how to use the answer sheet to grid in the answers. So, now they have to write in detail how they come up with that answer? I sensed much frustration with the 3rd graders.

Common Core has taken away from the teachers own ideas. I pray for our school system in this country.

Go to the countries at the top of the student rankings and I bet their 3rd graders can fill out a an answer sheet.  It is time we quit babying our students and got back to teaching them.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  868
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  03/17/1981

There is no Common Core curriculum

Then maybe you can explain why all my children's workbooks have the words "Common Core" emblazoned all over them.

There is no Common Core curriculum

Then maybe you can explain why all my children's workbooks have the words "Common Core" emblazoned all over them.

I would guess maybe it is a way for the school to identify which books teach the items that common core identified for that grade level.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  903
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

It sounds wonderful from an administrative level. But from teachers I've spoken to, they agree that on a tactical level it's an unshirted nightmare.

ETA, in the interests of full disclosure, these teachers I've spoken with are coming at it from a conservative standpoint; I'm sure liberal teachers are eating it up like pudding.

It sounds wonderful from an administrative level. But from teachers I've spoken to, they agree that on a tactical level it's an unshirted nightmare.

ETA, in the interests of full disclosure, these teachers I've spoken with are coming at it from a conservative standpoint; I'm sure liberal teachers are eating it up like pudding.

Why would it be a nightmare for teachers?  Those I talked with said it has changed virtually nothing.  Prior to Common Core they had certain items that had to be taught during a grade level.  With Common Core they have certain items that have to be taught during a grade level.  Perhaps theses standards are too much for them to be able to handle while teaching.  I have seen the Common Core standards for math for most grade levels and there is nothing in there that should be an issue.  Why does everything come down to a fight between conservative and liberals?  Do our kids not deserve better?   Is 37th in the world good enough for you people?  Should we not strive to do a bit better by the children of this country.  Can we not put aside petty partisan bickering for even one minute?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  903
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

No, not on this. No.

No, not on this. No.

Why? 

or maybe you can explain the politics behind fluently adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing multi-digit decimals using the standard algorithm for each operation. 

What is the right wing way to do this and what is the left wing way to do it?

What is the conservative way to find the greatest common factor of two whole numbers less than or equal to 100?

What is the liberal way to find the least common multiple of two whole numbers less than or equal to 12.

There is no politics to understand ordering and absolute value of rational numbers.

Find the greatest common factor of two whole numbers less than or equal to 100 and the least common multiple of two whole numbers less than or equal to 12. Understand ordering and absolute value of rational numbers

Here are some Language Arts standads for the 7th grade.

Cite several pieces of textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.

Determine a theme or central idea of a text and analyze its development over the course of the text; provide an objective summary of the text.

Analyze how particular elements of a story or drama interact (e.g., how setting shapes the characters or plot).

Compare and contrast a fictional portrayal of a time, place, or character and a historical account of the same period as a means of understanding how authors of fiction use or alter history.

By the end of the year, read and comprehend literature, including stories, dramas, and poems, in the grades 6-8 text complexity band proficiently, with scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,106
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

What are they reading to accomplish those things....

What are they teaching in history...

Science and math are one thing.... history and social skills are a different story.

Like I said it's the person who hijacks the tool that you need to watch... Looking for answers is a good thing, but looking for hijackers is important also...

What are they reading to accomplish those things....

What are they teaching in history...

Science and math are one thing.... history and social skills are a different story.

Like I said it's the person who hijacks the tool that you need to watch... Looking for answers is a good thing, but looking for hijackers is important also...

I agree it is good to look for the highjackers, but to blame common core is akin to blaming the plane for being high jacked

ETA...Common core deals with math and language arts at this time.  There is no common core for history or social skills.  Any changes to these areas is the result of the local school and has nothing to do with Common core.

Edited by LookingForAnswers