IGNORED

What are we watching for? Two questions really?

Omegaman 3.0

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Hi all, I was doing my Greek studies for the day, when I encountered a word. As usual for me, I will look at a few lexicons and see what they had to say, in this case, there were no surprises. Then, I looked up every occurrence of the word in the Greek New Testament (just this exact form, not all forms and transliterations) to see how it is used.

Many, but not all occasions, the word is used in an eschatological context. So, I thought that I would drop the verses into this thread. Knowing that only a few here can probably work through the Greek, I um quoting them from the NASB (for it's literalness, sorry KJV fans, you will have to look them up separately if you don't like the NASB) so you may get an idea of how the word is used. With nor further delays, here are the verses, with the English translation of the word, italicized and bolded.

The ten New Testament Occurences of the Greek word gregoreite ( γρηγορειτε )

1 Mat 24:42 “Therefore be on the alert, for you do not know which day your Lord is coming.

2 Mat 25:13 “Be on the alert then, for you do not know the day nor the hour.

3 Mat 26:38 Then He said to them, “My soul is deeply grieved, to the point of death; remain here and keep watch with Me.”

4 Mat 26:41 “Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

5 & 6 Mark 13:35“Therefore, be on the alert—for you do not know when the master of the house is coming, whether in the evening, at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or in the morning— 36 in case he should come suddenly and find you asleep. 37 “What I say to you I say to all, ‘Be on the alert!’”

7 & 8 Mar 14:34 And He said to them, “My soul is deeply grieved to the point of death; remain here and keep watch.” 35 And He went a little beyond them, and fell to the ground and began to pray that if it were possible, the hour might pass Him by. 36 And He was saying, “Abba! Father! All things are possible for You; remove this cup from Me; yet not what I will, but what You will.” 37 And He came and found them sleeping, and said to Peter, “Simon, are you asleep? Could you not keep watch for one hour? 38 “Keep watching and praying that you may not come into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

9 Acts 20:31“Therefore be on the alert, remembering that night and day for a period of three years I did not cease to admonish each one with tears.

10 1 Cor 16:13 Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.

There you have the verses, but I suggest reading themin context, in the Bible version you think best. My topic question: "What are we watching for is meant to ask are there events or signs or deception that believers are supposed to be watching for, or be wary of? I am not asking WHY are we watching.Of course, my question relates to the verses there which have eschatological contexts.

Let me get something on th table, so I do not get accused of failing to notice it. There are those who believe that Jesus, talking to His disciples on the Mount of Olives, is speaking to Jews, and not to the church. If you think that, God bless you. If this is true, then of course there is not really any need for you to read those parts of the Bible, and indeed, you might tend to read them, and then dismiss them as irrelevant.

I don't take that approach.I think there is information in those passages, and in Old Testament passages, that all add light to the topic at large. I notice in that in Mark 13:37, Jesus said (depending on the translation you read)

"What I say to you, I say to all, WATCH"

I just consider myself, to be one part of a group Jesus is speaking to, the group he refers to as ALL!

Question 1 If you are part of "all", what do you think we are to be watching for?

In Mark 14:36, it says "And He was saying, “Abba! Father! All things are possible for You; remove this cup from Me; yet not what I will, but what You will.”

Question 2 Do you think we should be imitators of Christ and pray in like manner? In other other words, I am wondering do we pray in essence:

"Lord if there is another way where we do not have go through the great tribulation, then make an escape for us. Never-the-less, I want to be in your perfect will, and if it means going through the great tribulation, I still want to be in your perfect will?"

Luke 21:36 uses a different Greek word for 'watch', but it is not unrelated to the topic. I bring it up here though,as I just noticed something I had not noticed before:

"But keep on the alert at all times, praying that you may have strength to escape all these things that are about to take place, and to stand before the Son of Man."

the word escape there in the Greek, means to escape by fleeing. Makes sense, since Jesus said to run and not look back, when you see armies surrounding Jerusalem.

But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then recognize that her desolation is near. “Then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains, and those who are in the midst of the city must leave, and those who are in the country must not enter the city

for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. “Then they will see THE SON OF MAN COMING IN A CLOUD with power and great glory. “But when these things begin to take place, straighten up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”

Anyway, got off track,

Should we be watching and if so for what?

and

should our attitude be one of being willing to submit to God's will, if that should mean affliction?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  155
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

I believe we are to be watching for the coming of Jesus as well as the signs of His return.  Yes, we should be ready and willing to do God's will whatever happens.

Edited by Watching for Jesus

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,225
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Omegaman 3.0,

Good topic, as we should know what we should be `watching for.`  Now, by your comment (quote) I think you misunderstand what people mean when they refer to Jesus talking to Israel.

`Let me get something on the table, so I do not get accused of failing to notice it. There are those who believe that Jesus, talking to His disciples on the Mount of Olives, is speaking to Jews, and not to the church. If you think that, God bless you. If this is true, then of course there is not really any need for you to read those parts of the Bible, and indeed, you might tend to read them, and then dismiss them as irrelevant.

I don't take that approach. I think there is information in those passages, and in Old Testament passages, that all add light to the topic at large……`

We know that the focus of God`s word is Jesus, His precious Son, thus we need to read & understand all of God`s word. In so doing we learn of Christ, His character & His purposes for three different groups of people – the Body of Christ, Israel & the Nations.

Thus we do not believe that all scripture is about us. It is FOR us to read & learn about Christ but not specifically all ABOUT us. There are individuals & different groups of people in God`s word that tell us what He said to them & what He promised them.

All are under God through Christ`s rulership. To have all `end time ` scriptures as ABOUT us just brings confusion (I believe), for even with our own eyes today we see great powerful nations that God has declared, plus His own people by nationality – Israel, to whom He will come to them as kin – relation (Son of Man). That is why Jesus said to Israel that they would see Him (with their natural eyes) –

`Then the sign of the SON OF MAN will appear  in heaven, & then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, & they will see the SON OF MAN coming on the clouds of heaven with power & great glory.` (Matt. 24: 30)

However to the Body of Christ, He is the risen, ascended, glorified, exalted, SON OF GOD, at the right hand of the Father, in His full deity. For it is by the spirit the `we are watching,` for His return to catch the mature Body of Christ to its eternal setting.

`...to wait for His SON from heaven, whom He raised from the dead, even Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come.` (I Thess. 1: 10)\

`...till we all come to the unity of the faith & the knowledge of the SON OF GOD, to  perfect man, to the measure of the fullness of Christ.` (Eh. 4: 13)

ISRAEL – the natural eye - `watching for the SON OF MAN,` (their kin – relation, Son of David)

THE BODY OF CHRIST – the spiritual eye - `watching for the SON OF GOD,` (the Head of the Body)

Marilyn.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

We should be watching ourselves to make sure we are right with God so when he visits we are not destroyed with the wicked. 

No, we should not pray as Jesus did in the garden because that is what got him killed.  His prayer that night sealed his fate as it was where he laid his life down for us by seeking to save it.  We are expected to live for him instead because of it.

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,011
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  4

I think watching and being alert involves discerning the signs of the time, preparing accordingly, and being vigilant.

The Pharisees and Sadducees missed it the first go-around.

• And in the morning, ‘There will be a storm today, for the sky is red and threatening.’ Do you know how to discern the appearance of the sky, but cannot discern the signs of the times?
  • Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near; so, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door.  Matthew 24:32-33

After discerning the signs of the times, we should prepare and help others prepare for the unprecedented time of tribulation.

• And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season?  Luke 12:42
  • Five of them were foolish, and five were prudent.  For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them, but the prudent took oil in flasks along with their lamps.  Matthew 25:2-4

We should persist and be vigilant in redeeming the time and not let the things of this world drag us down.

• Because lawlessness is increased, most people’s love will grow cold.  But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved.  Matthew 24:12-13
  • Be on guard, so that your hearts will not be weighted down with dissipation and drunkenness and the worries of life, and that day will not come on you suddenly like a trap.  Luke 21:34

As I see it.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

10 hours ago, gdemoss said:

We should be watching ourselves to make sure we are right with God so when he visits we are not destroyed with the wicked. 

No, we should not pray as Jesus did in the garden because that is what got him killed.  His prayer that night sealed his fate as it was where he laid his life down for us by seeking to save it.  We are expected to live for him instead because of it.

I find this a little odd, as Jesus "fate" was sealed before the creation of earth, was it not?  And what do you make of all the testimonies of people that have died as a result of their testimony of Christ?  That it is the persecution of Christians that sometimes brings others to a saving knowledge of Christ?  

"Keep watch" and "be on the alert", I wonder if it is encouragement for us to be continually praying, to stay focused on God and His purposes?

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

Every exhortation to watch and be ready is meant for believers, and is connected to the imminent return of Christ FOR His saints.  We don't have to look for signs, but to watch ourselves, and our own readiness to meet Christ and stand before His Judgment Seat.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

5 hours ago, hmbld said:

I find this a little odd, as Jesus "fate" was sealed before the creation of earth, was it not?  And what do you make of all the testimonies of people that have died as a result of their testimony of Christ?  That it is the persecution of Christians that sometimes brings others to a saving knowledge of Christ?  

"Keep watch" and "be on the alert", I wonder if it is encouragement for us to be continually praying, to stay focused on God and His purposes?

Thank you for the sincere honest question.  I have been working to sort out all of those questions myself.  I live in a world of deception that even permeates the church itself.  I have experienced self deception through various means.  So I do not accept testimonies that I am given of these accounts as true or false.  I accept that those who tell about them believe them.

Jesus said that no one could take his life.  That no power is given over another except it come from above and he is above all.  I have been studying to understand because this is a very hard to hear concept but as I have reveiwed my life I have been able to discern where I had made decisions based upon self that have put me in a position to be harmed.  

We are judged for every idle word.  How easy is it for me to slip up and seek to save my own life and lose it yet appear to be some martyr?  Yes, and I would probably believe I was doing the will of God too.  

I am still learning.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,135
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

18 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

That is why Jesus said to Israel that they would see Him (with their natural eyes) –

`Then the sign of the SON OF MAN will appear  in heaven, & then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, & they will see the SON OF MAN coming on the clouds of heaven with power & great glory.` (Matt. 24: 30)

First of all, Last Daze nailed the answer IMHO.

The above Matthew 24:30 quote must be paired with the one below, because both refer to all the tribes of the earth SEEING Jesus, and there is no scriptural reason to believe that will happen twice :

Rev. 1:7 Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him.

Every eye will see him, not just Jews and the heathen. Everyone includes us. Remember that John here was addressing the Church.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

7 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

Every eye will see him, not just Jews and the heathen. Everyone includes us.  Remember that John here was addressing the Church.

You missed a very important part of what John also said, which totally demolishes your argument: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him.

If what you surmise is true, Christians would be weeping, and wailing, and mourning, and lamenting at the Rapture.  The absurdity of equating the Resurrection/Rapture with the Second Coming should be obvious. So back to square one.