• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,420
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  4

41 minutes ago, RobertS said:

Let's put it this way: why would you want to use anything connected to the Lord for a curse word, be it name, title or otherwise? Scripture instructs us not to use coarse language as well as to not take the Lord's name in vain. If we're trying to be separate from this world (as scripture tells us), then our language and use of it also must reflect that as well. Refraining from sin isn't just "not doing" it, but also not seeking to find the "thin line" between what is sin and what isn't so we can skirt perilously close to it! Our intent matters as much as the act, as God judges the heart.

If you're trying to find that "fine line" , my advice is: DON'T. Stay away from all of that and don't use ANY title or noun for God in it PERIOD.

I was really thinking more about the expression OMG, which a lot of people have a problem with.  It was a discussion of this phrase that got me thinking about this topic. 

Curse words are a society controlled thing which change from country to country and era to era.  

I am in my mid thirties and the generation below me uses words on a daily basis I would never use, and I am sure my parents say the same thing about my generation. 

By 2050 many of the words you and I find to be offensive will be common place and others will take their place. 

45 minutes ago, Vendtre said:

I was really thinking more about the expression OMG, which a lot of people have a problem with.  It was a discussion of this phrase that got me thinking about this topic. 

Curse words are a society controlled thing which change from country to country and era to era.  

I am in my mid thirties and the generation below me uses words on a daily basis I would never use, and I am sure my parents say the same thing about my generation. 

By 2050 many of the words you and I find to be offensive will be common place and others will take their place. 

That may be the case, but we have a choice as to whether we use them or not. And we are supposed to be encouraging the next generation to not use them as well.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

1 hour ago, Vendtre said:

:emot-heartbeat:

Oh

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6

My

For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God. Romans 14:11-12

God

And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. John 20:28

I Love You So

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. Psalms 42:1

~

OMG May All The Children Of This Generation

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. Romans 10:13

Call Upon Your Holy

Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise. Jeremiah 17:14

Name

What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits toward me?
I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD.
Psalms 116:12-13

In The Name Of Jesus
Amen

Love, Joe

~

72 Years Old And

He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love. Song Of Solomon 2:4

Head-Over-Heals In Love

Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 1 John 3:16

With The LORD And His Holy Word

Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. Romans 12:9

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

The Lord our God put his name upon a people then explained to them that they were not to take his name upon them in vain.  It is akin to a father who says to a son do not bring shame upon our name.

It is not about profanity persay.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

I have never thought that "Using the Lord's name in vain" had anything really, to do with swearing or cursing, though those uses would be included. 

What does "in vain" mean? To me, in vain suggests 'to no purpose', in other words, not to be bandied about like it is ordinary. Calling on God, in serious prayer, speaking of Him with reverence, would not be in vain. Using is as swearing, using it in an OMG sense, as om habitual phrase really having nothing to do with God, just expressing surprize etc, would be in vain.

However, I think it is also possible, that we are not even speaking of his name, as in a proper name or a pronoun. "Name, can have a lot to do with authority, such as "Stop, in the name of the law". Perhaps it is a warning, against using His authority vainly. For example, a false prophet would say something, thus sayeth the Lord, that would be claiming God's authorty to your words, that is a spiritual fraud.

I am not trying to be at all dogmatic here, as I have not confidence it what I am tossing out here, just thougth I would offer those as ideas for consideration. In any case, it seems to me that this is not an area for gambling. Use His name, in anyway, only with reverence and purpose, in ways the scripture actually endorses, and that way we avoid the problem.

Guest Thallasa
9 hours ago, Vendtre said:

Well you will see many changes in te next few years and realise why certain things are not 'kosher' .The problem with lack of perspective is that somethings are not so serious  are considered so ,and other things which some christians consider less serious, are truly more serious . For example certain swear words are more bad taste , vulgar and are less serious  ,but using God's name in vain deliberately, or over carelessly, is very serious . It began as as a plea ,a prayer and now is a curse word and each time it is used debases the user a little .

The idea that all will be alright by 2050, shows how falsely optmistic you are and how little you know of history and humanity . You live in the 'present' , but the Holy Spirit gives the gift if wisdom ,a long perspective ,and you need to seek that .  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 1/31/2016 at 11:54 AM, Vendtre said:

IRT taking the Lords name in vain. 

Is "God" or "god" the Lords name or what He is? 

I believe using the word god does not violate the 3rd because it is not a name, it is really not even a title, it is a just a noun. 

What is IRT?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,420
  • Content Per Day:  0.47

19 hours ago, RobertS said:

That may be the case, but we have a choice as to whether we use them or not. And we are supposed to be encouraging the next generation to not use them as well.

Words are just words, they mean what we decided they mean.  There really are no dirty or clean words 

2 minutes ago, RustyAngeL said:

What is IRT?

Shorthand for "In reference to"

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.70
  • Days Won:  37

On 1/31/2016 at 9:54 AM, Vendtre said:

IRT taking the Lords name in vain. 

Is "God" or "god" the Lords name or what He is? 

I believe using the word god does not violate the 3rd because it is not a name, it is really not even a title, it is a just a noun. 

• Isaiah 9:6  

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Seems to me God is clearly one of God's names in scripture.

Seems to me there is no foundation to argue for anything else.

On 2/1/2016 at 3:45 PM, Vendtre said:

Words are just words, they mean what we decided they mean.  There really are no dirty or clean words 

But the issue is that words have meaning to them, and the Lord measures us by the meaning we use them for. And there are words that no matter what the generation, the meaning is clear.