IGNORED

How do you make reading the Bible more enjoyable?

Struggling

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1

Something I've started doing recently is keeping a notepad with several different topics. Some examples of the topics would be grace, forgiveness, fear of the Lord, law, no law, commands, baptism ect. When I come across a verse that catches my eye, I write it down in the appropriate spot in my notebook. I try doing this mostly without any commentary or study notes. After you get quite a collection of verses, then I go over them again. I realize the importance of reading scripture in context with the passage, but I do enjoy reading several passages about the same topic of interest. Anyhow, what works for me might not work for you. 

The Almighty is known as a Redeemer, Warrior, King, Judge, and Creator ( I'm sure there's more ). But ADONAI is also the Author, and it would be nice to tell be able to tell Him I read His book.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

9 hours ago, Struggling said:

Often times, I find the Bible hard to read and understand and I know that many New Christians have the same problem.

Looks like my post went missing. Anyhow, there is a difference between reading and studying, and that can make a big difference to whether Scripture is enjoyable or a chore.  Studying is *mining* the gold out of the gold mine, which takes labor and sweat, but results in great satisfaction (2 Tim 2:15).  Unless we study the Word we cannot interpret it correctly, nor understand God's character, plans, and purposes.

Focus on the teachings of Christ as recorded in the Sermon on the Mount. Then move on from there to all His sayings and teachings. When Christ speaks, God speaks to men in simple and powerful language.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  138
  • Days Won:  1

9 hours ago, Struggling said:

Often times, I find the Bible hard to read and understand and I know that many New Christians have the same problem. So to all those experienced bible readers, pastors, evangelists, ministers, disciples and generally those who served our Lord Jesus Christ for a long time, how do you read the bible?

I'm brand new to the faith so bare with me. I'm still a "babe in Christ" if you understand.

Hello Struggling, I would also suggest not to think of the scripture as Old Testament and New Testament, but to look at it as "One Testament". When Christ walked the earth and quoted scripture, He quoted all from the Tanach. When scripture shows Apollos confounding the Jews showing Christ to be the Messiah, there was no New Testament written. He was doing it all from the Tanach. When scripture says the Bereans were studying the scriptures to see if there was any truth to what Paul was telling them, they were doing it from the Tanach. I truly believe if one has a solid understanding of the Old Testament with the gospel, they are going to understand just how Holy a GOD we serve and why we need a Savior in Christ. Always pray before you read for wisdom and discernment.

Luke 24:27 Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.

Luke 24:44-45 44 Now He said to them, “These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.” 45 Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures,

I also want to add, James and the book of Proverbs are both very practical reads. Proverbs has 31 chapters. If you read one chapter a day, you will finish in a month. If you practice what is taught, you will be blessed in all that you do. May The One True Elohim bless you my friend and keep your paths straight. May He open your mind to the scriptures and give you a hunger and thirst for His word!

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Thank you everyone for you suggestions! Surely, this will help me and any New Christians who find this topic! Share this topic others too; maybe they might find it useful in reading the Word of God!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Struggling.....

I''ve mentioned this before & I am going to sneak it in here again,because I am so THRILLED & excited for you,,,,,there is NO GREATER Joy than to celebrate with the Heavenly Angels when a New Believer comes to Christ!!!!! HALLELUYAH!!!!

I only wish you would consider adjusting y8our username......ex Struggling   use2 Struggle     no moStruggling   StruggleFree   ?????

I am really happy that these replies have helped you a bit,,,,,,,keep posting,great stuff!      To God be the Glory!

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  148

2 hours ago, Struggling said:

Thank you everyone for you suggestions! Surely, this will help me and any New Christians who find this topic! Share this topic others too; maybe they might find it useful in reading the Word of God!

From another New Christian, thanks for posting this question Struggling.  Thanks also to everyone for your helpful answers.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

I COMPLETELY forgot to say in my other post that after decades of reading the Bible, I am really enjoying reading the chronological Bible.  The person who organized this Bible introduces what you are about to read each time the subject matter changes, explains it a little, and puts it in it a proper contextual understanding of previous chapters and even future chapters.  To me, it makes reading the Bible clearer and more organized.

The regular Bible for those new to the Bible isn't in chronological order - it's ordered by genre: history, poetry, prophets, gospels, letters, ......  That's why sometimes those brand new to the Bible get "bogged down".

Here's my chronological Bible: 

B9xbAgAAQBAJ.jpg

Edited by Jayne

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

Hi Struggling! :)

I would honestly say the reason I read daily is because it is spiritual food that the entire Body of Christ is in need of. Yet so few seem to know this...
It's a part of our loving God first and foremost, and in that love, loving others as ourselves!

Mar 12:30-31
(30)  And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
(31)  And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

As a "babe in Christ" God mentions you, as well as all of us who initially came to Him by repenting and believing in Jesus Christ!

1Pe 2:1-6
(1)  Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings,
(2)  As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
(3)  If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.
(4)  To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious,
(5)  Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
(6)  Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

God does not wish our minds as newborn Christians to remain un-renewed and carnal:

Rom 8:7  Because the carnal mind is enmity (enemy) against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

Many are content with simply being Saved, and yet it is only a starting point in our newfound faith in Christ. We have a mind now that needs to be prayerfully renewed with His glorious Truths!
God does not expect us to stop growing in Him.

Jesus Christ is our eternal salvation, and with a renewed mind we can in His strength learn to obey Him.

If after a season, our mind stays "as a babe" God sees us as "dull in hearing" at a time when we "ought to be teachers."
And in that "dull of hearing" place, we often have need again to be taught the first principles of God, instead of meat of God's Word.
However, if we will continue to love God first and foremost, with the Word which represents Him, we all should grow to a place of maturity, having our senses exercised to know the difference between "good and evil. "

Heb 5:9-14
(9)  And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;
(10)  Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec.
(11)  Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing.
(12)  For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
(13)  For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
(14)  But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Without knowing the difference between good and evil per God's Word, one can often find themselves believing in lies that are taught in His name.

God desires us all as Christians to study the Truth of His Word, so as we grow, we may rightly divide the same.
Without study, and without godly teachers, we can fall into the lies that others teach in His name. Similar to Hymenaeus and Philetus, many heretics today continue to mislead and overthrow the faith of some in many various ways.

2Ti 2:14-18
(14)  Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.
(15)  Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
(16)  But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
(17)  And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;
(18)  Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.

Jesus Christ, our Saviour understood the need for our having "spiritual food" as well as real food in order to live on this side of life.
As we renew our minds with the food of His Word, we will continue to grow, and know, what is of God and what is not of God. And be able to refute those things that the enemy speaks, just as Jesus did when Satan looked to tempt Him as fully man, and fully God.

Mat 4:1-4
(1)  Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
(2)  And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
(3)  And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
(4)  But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Psa 119:104-105
(104)  Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.
(105)  NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Basic
Instruction
Before
Leaving
Earth

:)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

Often times, I find the Bible hard to read and understand and I know that many New Christians have the same problem. So to all those experienced bible readers, pastors, evangelists, ministers, disciples and generally those who served our Lord Jesus Christ for a long time, how do you read the bible?

I'm brand new to the faith so bare with me. I'm still a "babe in Christ" if you understand.

Welcome to Worthy Struggling and even more important welcome to the body of Christ, your new family, we are your brothers and sisters in Christ.  My suggestion first is to find a version of the Bible you are comfortable with.  Start in the book of John.  Then look for a good study guide.  Getting into a strong Bible believing church will help too.  

We have a chat room here too you might like to come and visit, we would be thrilled to have you here.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,675
  • Content Per Day:  0.47

Very exciting for you..Praise the Lord

Just like to add to all the good advice, ask God to reveal His Word to you before reading...Also i have bible audio which i play through headphones whilst rattling around the house..and as a truck driver can listen to the bible  at work...When you read the bible you are feeding your spirit, so each morning try to feed the spirit before the flesh..maybe a Psalm before coffee..

God bless