• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

On 10/21/2016 at 8:03 PM, PatrolMan said:

I'll take the old hymns every time over this new praise music they are playing today.

I'm hesitant to bring this up for fear of causing an argument, and by no means am I disparaging or criticizing the new Christian music in the churches. With that said, at my age I guess you would call me a traditionalist, I just can't get very comfortable with the loud drums and guitars in church worship service. I guess it's just me.

Which leads me to; can anyone point me to scripture that says or indicates what kind / type of music God enjoys? I can only think of a few musical instruments mentioned in the Bible. Singing praises to the Lord appears to be a big part of worshipping our Lord.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

I remember years ago when there was an uproar about the emerging new style of music being brought into Sunday Services.  Some claim that the drum beats were Satanic, the same beats used in the occult.  Others said the church was becoming just like the world and a service with such music was akin to a rock concert.  Many pro-con arguments out there.  I choose to worship more inwardly than outwardly. 

When asking about instruments, please remember that our instruments today are not like those of biblical times.  What is listed pertained to what they knew as instruments.

• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, Davida said:

O You are welcome HisFirst!  Myself, I can enjoy some contemporary praise songs as well, but my pref for praise is the depth of some of the old Hymns. I commented to my Pastor how amazing some of the old Hymns are and he gave me his old hymn book to have. :) You can read it as a devotional too.

That's very kind of your pastor! I like the idea of it doubling as a devotional??

I like both old and new as long as the chorus' aren't repeating multitudes of times and your looking at your watch wondering when the song will finish lol!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

Here's another favorite of mine:

God will take care of you

Be not dismayed whate’er betide,
God will take care of you;
Beneath His wings of love abide,
God will take care of you.

Refrain

God will take care of you,
Through every day, over all the way;
He will take care of you,

Through days of toil when heart doth fail,
When dangers fierce your path assail,

Refrain

All you may need He will provide,
Nothing you ask will be denied,

Refrain

No matter what may be the test,
Lean, weary one, upon His breast,

Refrain

Thanks for putting that up RR. I don't recognise that one but do agree with it?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

I have so enjoyed reading the comments here. Did have a chuckle about `love me, squeeze me` or something like that. Now having been a muso myself & was all for the contemporary songs I believe I have mellowed somewhat & find myself more & more singing the old hymns & scripture in song choruses. Of course there are contemporary hymns with a more syncopated rhythm.

However what I do see now from research is that the continuous repetition is to get the singer into a `trance like ` state to so call `feel` the presence of Jesus. (As if the Lord is not always with us.) It is the touchy, feely desires we have as carnal Christians or young in the faith wanting physical contact. It is very dangerous as for the young people in the great conferences etc it opens them up to all sorts of `spirits.` Andrew Strom has videos on utube exposing a lot of what is happening.

Having said that, one of my all time favourites is - `Turn your eyes upon Jesus.` There are verses to it -

`1. Oh soul are you weary & troubled, no light in the darkness you see.

There`s light for a look at the Saviour, life more abundant & free.`

Chorus.

So...turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face,

And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,

In the light of His glory & grace.` 

2. From death into life everlasting, He`s gone & we follow Him there.

Over us, sin no more has dominion, for more than conqueror we are.

3. His word shall not fail you, He promised, believe Him & all will be well.

Then go to a world that is dying, His perfect salvation to tell.

There are wonderful renditions of this on utube & I even put it on here at Worthy.

Marilyn.

Edited by Marilyn C

49 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

I have so enjoyed reading the comments here. Did have a chuckle about `love me, squeeze me` or something like that. Now having been a muso myself & was all for the contemporary songs I believe I have mellowed somewhat & find myself more & more singing the old hymns & scripture in song choruses. Of course there are contemporary hymns with a more syncopated rhythm.

However what I do see now from research is that the continuous repetition is to get the singer into a `trance like ` state to so call `feel` the presence of Jesus. (As if the Lord is not always with us.) It is the touchy, feely desires we have as carnal Christians or young in the faith wanting physical contact. It is very dangerous as for the young people in the great conferences etc it opens them up to all sorts of `spirits.` Andrew Strom has videos on utube exposing a lot of what is happening.

Having said that, one of my all time favourites is - `Turn your eyes upon Jesus.` There are verses to it -

`1. Oh soul are you weary & troubled, no light in the darkness you see.

There`s light for a look at the Saviour, life more abundant & free.`

Chorus.

So...turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face,

And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,

In the light of His glory & grace.` 

2. From death into life everlasting, He`s gone & we follow Him there.

Over us, sin no more has dominion, for more than conqueror we are.

3. His word shall not fail you, He promised, believe Him & all will be well.

Then go to a world that is dying, His perfect salvation to tell.

There are wonderful renditions of this on utube & I even put it on here at Worthy.

Marilyn.

Thank you Marilyn?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

The unfortunate reality is that Christianity as a whole is lukewarm and the contemporary christian music follows that trend. While I think are some great worship songs that are more contemporary there is nothing that really expresses hymns like, I Need Thee Every Hour or The Solid Rock. 

One poster mentioned that the music today has a "Jesus is my boyfriend" mentality. And I have to agree with them. One of the driving factors for this change is that the younger generation wants faster music and hymns just are too slow for them. They lose interest and then the church loses the younger people. I am not saying this is right or wrong. It's just what is happening. 

I love good hymns and grew up with them. I have changed a little and have accepted more contemporary music but nothing compares to the hymns.

Guest BacKaran

I recall thinking at my new church, man... All these hymns are about the blood of Christ... And then there was that duh! Moment where I said well of course it's all about Christ's blood, who else died for my sins? I do enjoy some contemporary music but the old hymns do my soul good... On a hill far away.. there stood an old rugged cross......☕???????

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

21 hours ago, Jaydog1976 said:

The unfortunate reality is that Christianity as a whole is lukewarm and the contemporary christian music follows that trend. While I think are some great worship songs that are more contemporary there is nothing that really expresses hymns like, I Need Thee Every Hour or The Solid Rock. 

One poster mentioned that the music today has a "Jesus is my boyfriend" mentality. And I have to agree with them. One of the driving factors for this change is that the younger generation wants faster music and hymns just are too slow for them. They lose interest and then the church loses the younger people. I am not saying this is right or wrong. It's just what is happening. 

I love good hymns and grew up with them. I have changed a little and have accepted more contemporary music but nothing compares to the hymns.

Just wanted to say that I love those 2 songs I need thee every hour and solid rock especially when I'm going through a hard trial.