IGNORED

Trump has deep religious convictions, but....

OldSchool2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

I think the following excerpt is the point of the article.

"There is nothing, in Trump’s view, the American people cannot accomplish as long as we believe in ourselves and our country. But Christians do not believe in ourselves or our country. We believe in God, but we do more than believe in God. We worship God. Nothing else is to be worshiped.

"Christians have a word to describe the worship of that which is not God: idolatry. Idolatry, of course, can be a quite impressive form of devotion..."

... especially when it is marketed as the power of positive thinking. However, "... Christianity in Peale’s hands was closer to a set of beliefs a follower could make up to suit their desires. Trump has adopted this strategy and applied it to the country."

But now that Trump is POTUS and represents the country, has he become the nation's high priest of Peale's positive thinking?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

4 hours ago, OldSchool2 said:

I think the following excerpt is the point of the article.

"There is nothing, in Trump’s view, the American people cannot accomplish as long as we believe in ourselves and our country. But Christians do not believe in ourselves or our country. We believe in God, but we do more than believe in God. We worship God. Nothing else is to be worshiped.

"Christians have a word to describe the worship of that which is not God: idolatry. Idolatry, of course, can be a quite impressive form of devotion..."

... especially when it is marketed as the power of positive thinking. However, "... Christianity in Peale’s hands was closer to a set of beliefs a follower could make up to suit their desires. Trump has adopted this strategy and applied it to the country."

But now that Trump is POTUS and represents the country, has he become the nation's high priest of Peale's positive thinking?

All you need to do it read the news to get that answer.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,106
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

good grief, there is nothing wrong with being patriotic and working to make your country prosper...

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00

18 hours ago, Davida said:

That is really out of touch with reality.   & quoting articles from the far left propaganda rag washingtonpost,   it is no wonder.

If you could only wean yourself off of the steady diet of this junk journalism , there is still a possibility you could still be rehabilitated OS2. :noidea:

I'm interested to understand what you meant by the bolded section above?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

20 minutes ago, Steve_S said:

I'm interested to understand what you meant by the bolded section above?

I am very much the opposite of the left and I do not support Trump. Why is it that everyone thinks because a person does not support Trump they are the left?

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00

15 minutes ago, Davida said:

trying to add some levity ..& joking with OldSchool Steve!  That he could be rehabilitated from the left & addiction to progressive Media. LOL! I'm pretty sure he got the joke. :). Like doing an intervention for a loved one? I'm not taking our political differences overly seriously... 

Thanks for explaining davida :).

Guest Thallasa
On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 9:32 PM, OldSchool2 said:

from WaPo:

"Many Americans appear ready to give President Trump a pass when it comes to his lack of religious knowledge, sensibilities or behavior, but I think that’s a mistake.

"Trump is quite pious and his religious convictions run dangerously deep. But his piety is not a reflection of a Christian faith. His piety is formed by his understanding of what makes America a country like no other..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2017/01/27/christians-dont-be-fooled-trump-has-deep-religious-convictions/?postshare=9511485529128524&tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.f0cef784d66d

I don't blame him, for not being openly christian in a country where hatred of others, is the trade in stock, of most who call themselves evangelicals . The ignorance of history, and true inner reflection are missing entirely .

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

I think it's presumptuous to judge the POTUS' faith.  None of us know what is in ANYONE'S heart except God.  And we don't need a pastor to lead the country; we are not a theocracy.

16 hours ago, Davida said:

trying to add some levity ..& joking with OldSchool Steve!  That he could be rehabilitated from the left & addiction to progressive Media. LOL! I'm pretty sure he got the joke....

So anyone who doesn't agree with Trump needs to be sent to a re-education camp? Isn't that what they do to Christians in Communist states? I bet they're all laughing their heads off! :unsure:

9 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

I think it's presumptuous to judge the POTUS' faith....

"After months of reflection, Donald Trump says he still doesn't regret his decision not to ask God for forgiveness for his sins.

"In an interview on Sunday with CNN, the Republican presidential frontrunner said that he does not regret never asking God for forgiveness, partially because he says he doesn't have much to apologize for...."

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-on-god-i-dont-like-to-have-to-ask-for-forgiveness-2016-1

Based on the above, am I being presumptuous to assume that since Trump doesn't need to apologize to God that he won't be apologizing to those made in his image over the ham-handed immigration EO he released over the weekend?