IGNORED

Hope this is the right spot: Is the source of the book of Revelation as we know them really the remnants of a pagan Sybiline prophecy scroll set?

tinyprayers

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

9 hours ago, tinyprayers said:

I was listening to a broadcast once and it was said that a pagan Sybil in Rome or somewhere near had come to the local Monarch with a proposal. She'd recorded prophetic sight that had to do with that leaders future and world events. She gave a price the ruler refused. The Sybil departed into the courtyard of the palace grounds and burned three of the 12 scrolls . She offered the remainder to the Monarch at the first price she'd given for the original 12. He refused. She burned three more scrolls in the courtyard. Finally having but 6 left the king conceded and bought the scrolls.

Those are what became the book of Revelation today? And that is why the argument is also made that all events are describing the Caesar cults of the time and have transpired already.

I'm curious because I'd not heard about the sybil before. I know it sounds like the rumors that Osiris preceded Christ and we're a pagan mystery faith death cult following older traditions under the guise of Easter, Christmas, and so-fourth. No disrespect intended.  Looking forward to an open discussion. If this isn't the right place please move me if this line of questioning is OK here.

8 hours ago, OneLight said:

The Book of Revelation is written by John, as it is clearly stated in Revelation 1:1 "The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants—things which must shortly take place. And He sent and signified it by His angel to His servant John".  I never heard of the story you speak of, but I am sure there are many like it to discourage people from believing in scripture.  If you doubt the author of one book, how easy would it be to doubt the whole bible?  Can you see the hand of Satan in this?

8 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

No, there is no truth to any of that.   The Book of Revelation makes its authorship and source clear. 

5 hours ago, Rick_Parker said:

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,....." 2 Timothy 3:16 (NIV)

5 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

Blessings tinyprayers....

I'm a little curious about where you heard or watched this "broadcast"?I often wonder why anyone would give even a little or any credence to  such an obscure story? The Word of God has 66 Books,those Books can be cross referenced,examined,researched,studied & gone over with a fine tooth comb and there is more evidence to support that it is accurate,irrefutable.infallible & true than not ....and that is clear by mans mere intellect,reason& academics.....add in Wisdom & Understanding by the Power of the Holy Spirit and it is the Greatest Treasure to be had...........                                                     With love-in Christ,Kwik

3 hours ago, Yowm said:

You need to come to grips with the fact that All Scripture is God's Word and that satan is a liar...and there are many lies out there concerning God's Word.  Don't be like Eve listening to the venomous voice, "Hath God said?"

For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit. (2Pe 1:21)

2 hours ago, Ezra said:

There's really nothing to discuss. As others have already pointed out, the book of Revelation has absolutely nothing to do with pagans and legends connecting Christianity to paganism.  Any pagan *prophecies* would originate with Satan.

:sherlock:

The Trouble

I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book, if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book. If anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life, and out of the holy city, which are written in this book.

He who testifies these things says, "Yes, I come quickly." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Revelation 22:18-21 (New Heart English Bible)

With The Sibylline Books

All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 (New Living Translation)

Is Their Source

Therefore, I will always remind you about these qualities, although you already know about them and are well-grounded in the truth that you now have. As long as I'm still alive, I think it's right to refresh your memory. I know that I will die soon. Our Lord Jesus Christ has made that clear to me. So I will make every effort to see that you remember these things after I die.

When we apostles told you about the powerful coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, we didn't base our message on clever myths that we made up. Rather, we witnessed his majesty with our own eyes. For example, we were eyewitnesses when he received honor and glory from God the Father and when the voice of our majestic God spoke these words to him: "This is my Son, whom I love and in whom I delight." We heard that voice speak to him from heaven when we were with him on the holy mountain.

So we regard the words of the prophets as confirmed beyond all doubt. You're doing well by paying attention to their words. Continue to pay attention as you would to a light that shines in a dark place as you wait for day to come and the morning star to rise in your hearts. First, you must understand this: No prophecy in Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation.

No prophecy ever originated from humans. Instead, it was given by the Holy Spirit as humans spoke under God's direction. 2 Peter 1:12-21 (GOD'S WORD® Translation)

The Sibylline Books (Latin: Libri Sibyllini) were a collection of oracular utterances, set out in Greek hexameters, that according to tradition were purchased from a sibyl by the last king of Rome, Tarquinius Superbus, and were consulted at momentous crises through the history of the Republic and the Empire. Only fragments have survived, the rest being lost or deliberately destroyed.

The Sibylline Books should not be confused with the so-called Sibylline Oracles, twelve books of prophecies thought to be of Judaeo-Christian origin. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibylline_Books

~

Be Blessed Beloved Daughter Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 (King James Bible)

Love, Your Brother Joe

~

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160 (King James Bible)

The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler’s map, the pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword and the Christian’s charter. Here too, Heaven is opened and the gates of Hell disclosed.

Christ is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end. It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully.  It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure.

It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgment, and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

From The Inside Of My Gideon New Testament

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

13 hours ago, tinyprayers said:

I was listening to a broadcast once and it was said that a pagan Sybil in Rome or somewhere near had come to the local Monarch with a proposal. She'd recorded prophetic sight that had to do with that leaders future and world events. She gave a price the ruler refused. The Sybil departed into the courtyard of the palace grounds and burned three of the 12 scrolls . She offered the remainder to the Monarch at the first price she'd given for the original 12. He refused. She burned three more scrolls in the courtyard. Finally having but 6 left the king conceded and bought the scrolls.

Those are what became the book of Revelation today? And that is why the argument is also made that all events are describing the Caesar cults of the time and have transpired already.

I'm curious because I'd not heard about the sybil before. I know it sounds like the rumors that Osiris preceded Christ and we're a pagan mystery faith death cult following older traditions under the guise of Easter, Christmas, and so-fourth. No disrespect intended.  Looking forward to an open discussion. If this isn't the right place please move me if this line of questioning is OK here.

This does not surprise me. Satan is working overtime and is making sure that as many people as possible are going to relate to false doctrine and that includes the book of Revelation.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  209
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

23 hours ago, OneLight said:

Not sure if there is anything about the pictures pinned somewhere or not.  I'll have to look.  At least you know now!

Yes, at the very least. :) It's just that if that picture caused someone ocular issues it would have been a grace to not put them through that by being informed prior as to the board rule not to post such a thing.

I'm not here to offend.

God's blessings.  Me

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

25 minutes ago, tinyprayers said:

Yes, at the very least. :) It's just that if that picture caused someone ocular issues it would have been a grace to not put them through that by being informed prior as to the board rule not to post such a thing.

I'm not here to offend.

God's blessings.  Me

Not accusing you of trying to offend anyone, just informing people of the issue.  Epileptic Seizures are triggered by many different things, some of which are:

We cannot remove them all, but we can remove the flashing images.  I searched and I could not find anything outside of being mentioned in older threads.  There is no pinned thread about this to my knowledge.  As for changing the ToS to include this, I would agree that the ToS does need to be revised, which has been suggested many times, but George has his hands in many things, where takes up most of his time.

Thanks. :) 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Tinyprayers.....

Please don't take this the wrong way but I think this is a good opportunity to share this information regarding the ToS as it is clearly stated in the Registration Terms

These rules are subject to change at any time without notice.

So,the fact of the matter is that we should appreciate it when anyone does take the time out to explain any action taken because they are not required to ,,they are just courteous & considerate.....I believe that is GRACIOUS

Guest BacKaran

Why would I read and believe things outside the Bible? I wouldn't.

It's informative if pagans are using that info in your area or are trying to say it's biblical, we must commend for the Truth and the faith that comes from God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

A pagan couple tried to tell me some book of..Solomon perhaps? Spoke of an angelic language and he insisted he knew what the language was that the Angels spoke.

I said where is that in the Bible? Ohhhhh, it's not.

End of conversation. 

22 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

Blessings Tinyprayers.....

Please don't take this the wrong way but I think this is a good opportunity to share this information regarding the ToS as it is clearly stated in the Registration Terms

So,the fact of the matter is that we should appreciate it when anyone does take the time out to explain any action taken because they are not required to ,,they are just courteous & considerate.....I believe that is GRACIOUS

I am not offended. Thank you for sharing that. I did see that notice.
I'd posit this question concerning that policy. That rules are subject to change without notice.

How then is anyone here to know they're violating a new rule that was introduced or changed when we are not entitled to be notified beforehand?So as not to offend and suffer the consequences.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Tinyprayers

No one is ever going to "suffer" any "consequences" for something they were not aware of,being told that something is unacceptable to post is not(imo) a terrible consequence and there is not one person on this Ministry Team that would not let an individual know that something is either "unacceptable" or a violation...it is not a big deal to simply accept it for what it is worth & move forward with a bit more knowledge for future reference,,,,,pretty simple

The easiest way to understand how these Forums work would be to go to the pinned Topics in each Section/Forum & read the Threads that describe each .....if in doubt,PM one of us,we would be happy to help   THe Terms of Service are basic guidlines for everyone,we welcome EVERYONE & not everyone who joins is not a Christian,Christians should not even be concerned about the ToS...I would expect every Christian to conduct themselves in a manner WORTHY of Representing Christ Jesus for every one of our readers to see,we are ON DISPLAY here for the world to see how we conduct ourselves & with that in mind I would hope it is a reminder to us all to be o our very best behavior......ifv we have trouble w4ith that then we need to spend some time with Jesus & not be posting,lol 

Besides.when "rules" are changed or amended there is usually a notice in the Thread or discussion it pertains to ...we have a "transparency policy"...if something said that is unacceptable & warrants a warning or "point" or "ban" it will appear in the discussion for others to see rather than just "disappearing"......I'm sure you've seen those posts when someone is banned from participation in a conversation......Hope that helps                                   God Bless,Kwik

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  08/17/1952

There is so much information available to us today that no one person can assimilate it all. I often listen to broadcasts or watch tv programming that discusses certain aspects of the Bible or of faith. HOWEVER, I listen and watch based upon my own knowledge and study of scripture. Most of what I hear IS interesting information, but facts do NOT equal TRUTH. Interesting facts only become truth when you can verify them against Scripture and other known and trusted sources. I do not discourage people from listening to "other" things, because when we truly study the Scriptures and seek truth, we get more than a two-dimensional view of things and for me at least, I always come away believing more firmly in the Scriptures. The problem comes when we listen to "other" information and it creates doubt. That is not so much of a problem IF we are committed to our own research to verify or deny a specific topic.

If we do not do our due diligence, however, we become lazy and that doubt grows into disbelief and THAT is dangerous. So, we must continually examine our own hearts. The Bible says to "search the Scriptures daily". I have done that for nearly 50 years. I would love to confess that I am free from deception, but alas, I am still a sinner saved by grace and it is possible for me to be deceived. I find this attitude represents a "healthy scepticism" that allows God's Holy Spirit to guide me into Truth.

Blessings