• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/27/1965

6 minutes ago, ScottA said:

I read it. The general thrust is to turn the most fascinating book in the bible - literally called Revelation - into something less than a revelation of Jesus Christ. It's not about us.

That's a false dichotomy. You're correct that the book of Revelation is about Jesus Christ. Nothing in my post denies that. But it is also true that Revelation, like the rest of the Bible, is written to strengthen, encourage, and guide us. It is applicable to our lives. It does, or should, make a practical difference in our lives. And it is all about Jesus. There's nothing contradictory.

We don't have to cover all aspects of a topic in a single post. If you're interested, on my own blog some time ago I wrote a post which focuses on how the Book of Revelation reveals to us who Jesus is.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  552
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

1 hour ago, Mark Corbett said:

That's a false dichotomy. You're correct that the book of Revelation is about Jesus Christ. Nothing in my post denies that. But it is also true that Revelation, like the rest of the Bible, is written to strengthen, encourage, and guide us. It is applicable to our lives. It does, or should, make a practical difference in our lives. And it is all about Jesus. There's nothing contradictory.

We don't have to cover all aspects of a topic in a single post. If you're interested, on my own blog some time ago I wrote a post which focuses on how the Book of Revelation reveals to us who Jesus is.

No..."the flesh profits nothing"...and you are giving it a false sense of value.

Here, rather, is what Jesus said about such "practical" matters:

"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

“Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?

“So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?

“Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.55

Wow...... is it just me, or are there others that are scratching their heads.

ScottA.....not sure where you're coming from or what you're all about.....But I'm just sitting here scratching my head.......

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Members
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  03/27/1965

8 hours ago, ScottA said:

No..."the flesh profits nothing"...and you are giving it a false sense of value.

"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

Scott,

I think the best way to respond to your objections is to show how my view of Revelation actually is entirely consistent with the passage you quoted from Matthew 6:24-33 (partly shown above).

It's true that we cannot serve both God and money. I pointed out that this truth, the very truth you are rightly concerned about, is emphasized in Revelation by the imagery of the Prostitute. I wrote:

You will be tempted to compromise your faith and/or your morals to enjoy some of the luxuries and pleasures this world has to offer.  Don’t do it!

The truth taught by Jesus about not worrying about our material needs, but rather putting God's Kingdom first, is also emphasized in Revelation by the warning not to give in to the economic persecution associated with the infamous 666.

In fact, a major point of my post is that the Book of Revelation teaches, strengthens, and encourages us to say no to the tempting things of this world. This is the opposite of "giving the flesh a false sense of value", as you put it.

I hope to help people see how Revelation is harmonious with and reinforces the very passage you quoted and other passages which are directly applicable to our lives.

This does not mean that Revelation does not also serve other purposes and I explicitly state this in the OP.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

10 hours ago, Mark Corbett said:

Amen.

2 Timothy 3:16

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

• Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

The book of Revelation are many things symbolic in there, that is why men who don't understand the symbolic language make mistakes.  Read all I wrote and compare it with the scriptures. 

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Days Won:  5

The book of Revelation took me years to understand, and someone new to the faith in my opinion doesn't have the next 30 years, to understand all the symbolism and entire meaning of each topic in that one book.  That's where I get it what he's saying.  Also for them back then, It would of been hard for them to understand, so they would of had to apply, and take from it what they could understand about what God likes and hates.  Remember what Jesus said;

John 7:6   Then Jesus said unto them, My time is not yet come: but your time is alway ready.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

On 2/19/2018 at 10:24 PM, ScottA said:

“Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?

“So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?

“Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I wish that they can tell you all what that symbol means. It impossible for me without Jesus to talk to you?

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  4,066
  • Content Per Day:  1.41

On 2/19/2018 at 4:54 PM, Mark Corbett said:
Many Christians become so wrapped up in debates about how to interpret John’s vision that they miss Revelation’s power and purpose.  I’m going to propose something radical.  One of the main points of Revelation does not depend on any of the following:

• Is a premillennial, amillennial, or postmillennial view correct?
  • Was most of Revelation fulfilled in the first century, does it refer to events all throughout church history, or is it focused mainly on the last seven years of this age?
  • Who are the 144,000?
  • Who are the beast and the false prophet?
  • What role will modern Israel and other nations play in fulfilling John’s visions?
  • Are the locusts and fire-breathing horses a vision of modern military weapons, demonic beings, or something else?

While I understand your main point that all scriptures are meant to uplift our Faith and hope, and Revelation indeed does that, I as understand Scott'd point, though I disagree with his overall tone inasmuch as he sees you to be going against what God tells us to do do via Revelation, and hes wrong there, I understand what you are trying to say, but IMHO, you should confirm/recognize that there is a clear meaning to what Revelation says and in due time it will come out (LIKE NOW) when God sees the time as as fit. So allow me to help your point of emphasis out a wee bit then move on to why it does matter. Both can be accurate statements. The very first verse does just what you suggest Jesus is trying to do:

Rev. 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

Jesus is uplifting his Churches/Servants by telling them these things hes about to espouse unto them will shortly come to pass. Then he proceeds to tell them what? How Gods people are going to end up victorious. Thus must have been beautiful noise to the Seven Churches ears. 

6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Jesus is building up their faith because many are being persecuted and dying, but in the END !! WE WIN !!

9 I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ,.................

20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.

John says  am going through tribulation also, but then on verse 20 he tells them you have 7 Angels in your midst. Them he highlights their pluses and minuses to get the Churches to grown in the Spirit. Then in chapter 3 we get this below:

Rev. 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. 22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

In chapter one John was told to write the things which he has saw, WHICH IS, and which will be hereafter, then in the first verse of Rev. 4 we get this:

Rev. 4:1 After this I looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will shew thee things which must be hereafter. 2 And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne. (God) 

So we are shown the future from verse one on, and John sees God, not Jesus but Gd the Father, so we are all going to get to see God the Father one day, YIPPEE !! So yes, Revelation was meant to give the Churches HOPE and STRENGTH t overcome, I grant that, but it also has a meaning that Jesus was relaying unto us, and its not metaphorical in nature, though some of the symbols might be. As a matter of fact these end time are where we are supposed to be able to and there are some who miss the Rapture who will need to understand these things. 

So while  get your point, these thins you mentioned really do have a finite meaning, the problem is Satan sows confusion. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

Revelation is very practical for us. I thank you for your post. However, is there another prophecy book about which many believers say, "The PROPHECY within has nothing I can learn from, if I study"?

And if we're living when Christ will return, Revelation prophecy study is paramount.