• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  401
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  1

30 minutes ago, Montana Marv said:

You have seemed to miss the point of context.  Why did Paul need to correct some of the Thessalonians?  By believing that they had missed "the day of the Lord".  Paul had to interject this passage.  So they were told and or taught that the "day of the Lord" was at hand, and they missed it.  Now what "day of the Lord" did some of the Thessalonians think they had missed?  Did they think they missed the Second Coming or something else.

Don't put a Scriptural blame game of me, with your rhetoric.  So I see that you have rejected the truth.  Is this last half of your diatribe referring to yourself, I know it must not be about me.

It all depends which "day of the Lord" is being referred to Bud.  2 Peter 3:10 - But the day of the Lord will come like a thief.  The heavens will disappear with a roar, the elements will will be destroyed by fire.....  Joel 1:15 - Alas, for that day, For the day of the Lord is near, it will come like destruction from the Almighty.  1 Thess 5:2 - for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night..  While people are saying peace and safety, destruction will come upon them suddenly.     1 Cor 5:5c - and his spirit saved on the day of the Lord.  Isa 2:12 - The Lord Almighty has a day in store.... v17b - the Lord alone will be exalted in that day...

Yet 2 Thess 2:2 saying the day of the Lord has already come.  Did they miss the 2 Coming (when every eye will see Him), did they miss the old earth passing onto the New Heaven and the New Earth, Did they miss death and destruction, or did they think they had missed the Rapture???  Not all day of the Lords are the same.

In Chrst

Montana Marv

Greetings in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ,

MM, as I told Diaste, the expression “at hand” means "near in time or not distant". They believed that the day (which includes the rapture) was near in time because they were experiencing severe persecution. Jesus taught that great tribulation comes before His parousia which involves the gathering of His own unto Himself.

Notice that Paul didn't tell the Thessalonians that the unprecedented persecution (great tribulation) had to come first, even though Jesus spent a good portion of the Olivet Discourse speaking of the unprecedented persecution that comes before His arrival at His parousia which is the day of Christ or the day of the Lord. Instead, he tells them of the departure from the faith that will accompany it. Jesus referred to this departure when He said, many shall be offended and when He spoke of the great deception. He also told them of the revelation of the Beast which defiles the temple, by referencing Daniel's abomination of desolation.

Even though the Thessalonians were experiencing severe persecution the falling away hadn't happened nor had the man of sin been revealed. So, Paul comforted and corrected them; the tribulation that they faced was not that of the eschaton.

MM, you seem confused about the day of the Lord. I have to admit that when I was a pre-tribber I was too. In fact, it was the fuzziness of my understanding of the day of the Lord that prompted me to greater diligence in the study of it. Ultimately this study yielded my rejection of the pre-trib model. I found it totally unsupportable once I understood that the great tribulation that Jesus spoke of was not the wrath of God on the day of the Lord.

You still have time to get your eschatological house in order and be a help to those you love by sharing the warnings of Christ concerning the unprecedented persecution to come upon the last generation of the church.

Hallelujah

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  1,957
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  0

"You still have time to get your eschatological house in order and be a help to those you love by sharing the warnings of Christ concerning the unprecedented persecution to come upon the last generation of the church"

Unprecedented persecution to come upon what?

You say the church of today .... you are wrong

Today's church will be with the Lord son [Revelation 3:10]

And those who become believers during the coming tribulation will follow 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,599
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  2

9 hours ago, Steve Conley said:

Diaste, the expression “at hand” means "near in time or not distant". They believed that the day (which includes the rapture) was near in time because they were experiencing severe persecution. Jesus taught that great tribulation comes before His parousia involving the gathering of His own unto Himself.

Notice that Paul didn't tell the Thessalonians that the unprecedented persecution (great tribulation) had to come first, even though Jesus spent a good portion of the Olivet Discourse speaking of the unprecedented persecution that comes before His arrival at His parousia which is the day of Christ or the day of the Lord. Instead, he tells them of the departure from the faith that will accompany it. Jesus referred to this departure when He said, many shall be offended and when He spoke of the great deception. He also told them of the revelation of the Beast which defiles the temple, by referencing Daniel's abomination of desolation.

Even though the Thessalonians were experiencing severe persecution the falling away hadn't happened nor had the man of sin been revealed. So, Paul comforted and corrected them; the tribulation that they faced was not that of the eschaton.

Hallelujah

I get that. Either way it works out the same. If they thought the tribulation they were in was the prophesied time, or if they believed the Day of Christ was present, Paul clarifies this for them, us, once and for all. 

I guess I cannot speak to exactly what the Thessalonian believers were concerned about in this case. The sense in the entire passage leads me to believe they were unsure of something concerning the times; whether enistemi is 'near' or 'present', is likely something we would have to ask Paul. 

In my mind they felt they were in the Day as this is Paul's focus. The Day had not come as events must occur before that day. Paul doesn't address 'tribulation' directly, but he does address the timing of the Day in detail. 

7 hours ago, Diaste said:

I get that. Either way it works out the same. If they thought the tribulation they were in was the prophesied time, or if they believed the Day of Christ was present, Paul clarifies this for them, us, once and for all. 

I guess I cannot speak to exactly what the Thessalonian believers were concerned about in this case. The sense in the entire passage leads me to believe they were unsure of something concerning the times; whether enistemi is 'near' or 'present', is likely something we would have to ask Paul. 

In my mind they felt they were in the Day as this is Paul's focus. The Day had not come as events must occur before that day. Paul doesn't address 'tribulation' directly, but he does address the timing of the Day in detail. 

Diaste, you have to remember that Paul taught them what Jesus had taught concerning His coming (1Thes 4:15). Jesus taught that His coming will be unmistakable (Matt 24:27). I think that the idea that the Thessalonians thought that the day of the Lord had come already is utterly untenable. They all knew that they would be gathered to Christ at His coming (1Thes 4:15-17). They knew that God's wrath would fall upon the wicked at the same coming initiating the day of the Lord (1Thes 5:2-3). They knew that they were not appointed unto wrath on the day of the Lord (1Thes 5:9).

They knew that great tribulation would precede the day of Christ, and they were experiencing severe persecution. Therefore, it was a reasonable thing to question whether or not the day of the Lord was near in time. However, Paul reminds them that the notable apostasia that Jesus referred to had not taken place nor had the abomination of desolation which is caused by the revelation of the Beast in the temple. Jesus mentioned that these take place before His arrival to gather His own to Himself and initiate His wrath poured out upon the day of the Lord.

All praise, honour, and glory be unto the Lord Jesus Christ.

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,599
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  2

2 minutes ago, Steve Conley said:

Diaste, you have to remember that Paul taught them what Jesus had taught concerning His coming (1Thes 4:15). Jesus taught that His coming will be unmistakable (Matt 24:27). I think that the idea that the Thessalonians thought that the day of the Lord had come already is utterly untenable. They all knew that they would be gathered to Christ at His coming (1Thes 4:15-17). They knew that God's wrath would fall upon the wicked at the same coming initiating the day of the Lord (1Thes 5:2-3). They knew that they were not appointed unto wrath on the day of the Lord (1Thes 5:9).

They knew that great tribulation would precede the day of Christ, and they were experiencing severe persecution. Therefore, it was a reasonable thing to question whether or not the day of the Lord was near in time. However, Paul reminds them that the notable apostasia that Jesus referred to had not taken place nor had the abomination of desolation which is caused by the revelation of the Beast in the temple. Jesus mentioned that these take place before His arrival to gather His own to Himself and initiate His wrath poured out upon the day of the Lord.

Perhaps. All I know is the thesis in 2 Thess 2:1-7 is the coming of Jesus and the gathering, the body of arguments support the timing of that Day, and the conclusion is Jesus won't come until after the rebellion and the revealing. 

Which is why it looks like the concern of the people was the Day of Christ, as that is what is specifically addressed. 

Sorry, just don't see any language about persecution in this passage. Not that they were not experiencing tribulations, it just isn't addressed here.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,272
  • Content Per Day:  2.10
  • Days Won:  4

On 6/5/2018 at 6:06 PM, Brother Duke said:

Here is a study I have been working on.

Woe, Woe, woe.

Revelation uses woes as markers or time stamps. The trumpets, seals and bowls are grouped within the 3 woes. The word Alas is translated from the same word in the Greek that is Woe. I have also noticed the great earthquake is always around the resurrection. There was a great earthquake when Christ was resurrected and there was an earthquake when the two witness were brought back to life.

Revelation 8:13 And I beheld, and heard an angel flying through the midst of heaven, saying with a loud voice, Woe, woe, woe, to the inhabiters of the earth by reason of the other voices of the trumpet of the three angels, which are yet to sound!

1st woe devil is cast out and tribulation starts.

Revelation 9:1 And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.

Revelation 12:12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

Matthew 24:9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. 

Matthew 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

2nd woe resurrection/rapture. Babylon is judged.

Matthew 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: 30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Revelation 9:12 One woe is past; and, behold, there come two woes more hereafter.

Revelation 11:14 The second woe is past; and, behold, the third woe cometh quickly.

Revelation 11:13 And the same hour was there a great earthquake, and the tenth part of the city fell, and in the earthquake were slain of men seven thousand: and the remnant were affrighted, and gave glory to the God of heaven.

Revelation 16:18 And there were voices, and thunders, and lightnings; and there was a great earthquake, such as was not since men were upon the earth, so mighty an earthquake, and so great.

Revelation 6:12 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood; 

Revelation 9:13 And the sixth angel sounded, and I heard a voice from the four horns of the golden altar which is before God,

Revelation 11:11 And after three days and an half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them.

Revelation 18:10 Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come.

Revelation 18:16 And saying, Alas, alas, that great city, that was clothed in fine linen, and purple, and scarlet, and decked with gold, and precious stones, and pearls! 

Revelation 18:19 And they cast dust on their heads, and cried, weeping and wailing, saying, Alas, alas, that great city, wherein were made rich all that had ships in the sea by reason of her costliness! for in one hour is she made desolate.

Revelation 14:8 And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication.

Revelation 6:9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held

3rd woe God's wrath

Revelation 11:15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever. 

Revelation 11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

Revelation 6::17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

Sorry, but you have pulled most of your verses out of the context and so have totally rearranged Revelation.

By the time the first trumpet judgment comes, all 7 seals will have been opened - so that the scroll itself can be unrolled and read. The trumpets are inside the scroll that was sealed - so no trumpet could possibly be sounded until all 7 seals are opened - just as John wrote it.

The three woes are the last three trumpets. The 7th trumpet / third woe then opens the door or makes possible the 7 woes and also causes Satan to be cast down from heaven to the earth, very angry! 

On 6/21/2018 at 9:59 PM, JoeChan82 said:

That is one of the single scariest thing someone can say to me. The other is a direct claim of revelation. How in the world do you answer someone who says, "God told me and now I tell you"? 

You check the scriptures to see of what they say could possibly fit what is written. (It may not fit your theory of what is written.) It is just possible they DID here from the Lord!

Edited by iamlamad

On 6/22/2018 at 12:15 PM, Steve Conley said:

Diaste, you have to remember that Paul taught them what Jesus had taught concerning His coming (1Thes 4:15). Jesus taught that His coming will be unmistakable (Matt 24:27).

Your preconceptions are showing through here. The truth is, Paul taught a totally new revelation that was a mystery until Paul explained it. NO ONE knew there was to be a catching up of live believers at the resurrection - that is, not until Paul taught it. If we study and understand  1 Thes. 5, Paul tells us that his rapture will be at a time of peace and safety....a day like today. A time of "peace and safety" could not possibly be describing a time of total darkness when know one know what terror will come next.

Paul goes on to show us that the rapture event will be the trigger for the Day of the Lord. Therefore the rapture comes first, not during or after. If we understand John's chronology, we know that the Day of the Lord begins with the 6th seal, the 7th seal opens the 70th week, the 7th trumpet marks the midpoint and the 7th vial ends the week. So it is clear by Paul and John's writing that the rapture Paul wrote of will come before the 70th week.

Next, Paul taught that at this great event of the resurrection of the dead in Christ, two groups of people will get two different results: those who are in Christ will get caught up and escape the sudden destruction (earthquake) while those living in darkness get left behind and suffer the sudden destruction. Then Paul shows us this sudden destruction is the start of the Day of the Lord. We find that start of the Day at the 6th seal.

I think that the idea that the Thessalonians thought that the day of the Lord had come already is utterly untenable. They all knew that they would be gathered to Christ at His coming (1Thes 4:15-17). They knew that God's wrath would fall upon the wicked at the same coming initiating the day of the Lord (1Thes 5:2-3). They knew that they were not appointed unto wrath on the day of the Lord (1Thes 5:9).

If Paul came in person and taught you that the catching up of the saints would come a moment before sudden destruction and judgment......then judgment came and you were in it...then someone told you it was the day of the Lord you were in....would you not be a little upset at Paul? He told you that you would be caught up and escape the wrath of God, and you now believe you are IN IT. I would certainly be upset!

They knew that great tribulation would precede the day of Christ,

Maybe they had never heard that term: "the day of Christ."  Maybe in person Paul had only taught "the day of the Lord, as he did in his first letter to the Thessalonians. What they knew, or thought they knew, was that the catching up will come before the Day of the Lord. Paul's first letter made that clear.

and they were experiencing severe persecution. Therefore, it was a reasonable thing to question whether or not the day of the Lord was near in time.  Or even that the Day had started and they were now in it - as they had been told.

However, Paul reminds them that the notable apostasia that Jesus referred to

Say WHAT? Sorry, but I don't think Jesus ever used that word. Paul was talking about the departing of the church  - not some falling away from truth! The very theme of the passage is the gathering of the saints after they are caught up. In fact, the way Paul used this word, "apostasia," it must mean the one restraining removed and taken out of the way. Indeed, it can mean nothing else. It is the Holy Spirit, working through the church, that restrains evil in this world. But the moment after the rapture, suddenly the Holy Spirit has no one to work through: the restrainer has been "taken out of the way.

had not taken place nor had the abomination of desolation which is caused by the revelation of the Beast in the temple. Jesus mentioned that these take place before His arrival to gather His own to Himself and initiate His wrath poured out upon the day of the Lord.

When Jesus gave His discourse on the end, the church had not yet begun. He was talking to Jewish men about the end of THEIR age....that is the 70th week of Daniel (Revelation chapter 8 through chapter 16).

Indeed, John shows us that Jesus coming in glory and power comes after the end of the 70th week - in chapter 19. However, scripture proves the church will have been caught up before the week even starts.

It is amazing how different people read end times scriptures so differently!

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  170
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/21/1958

6 hours ago, iamlamad said:

You check the scriptures to see of what they say could possibly fit what is written. (It may not fit your theory of what is written.) It is just possible they DID here from the Lord!

Yes, exactly.

7 hours ago, iamlamad said:

Your preconceptions are showing through here. The truth is, Paul taught a totally new revelation that was a mystery until Paul explained it. NO ONE knew there was to be a catching up of live believers at the resurrection - that is, not until Paul taught it. If we study and understand  1 Thes. 5, Paul tells us that his rapture will be at a time of peace and safety....a day like today. A time of "peace and safety" could not possibly be describing a time of total darkness when know one know what terror will come next.

Paul goes on to show us that the rapture event will be the trigger for the Day of the Lord. Therefore the rapture comes first, not during or after. If we understand John's chronology, we know that the Day of the Lord begins with the 6th seal, the 7th seal opens the 70th week, the 7th trumpet marks the midpoint and the 7th vial ends the week. So it is clear by Paul and John's writing that the rapture Paul wrote of will come before the 70th week.

Next, Paul taught that at this great event of the resurrection of the dead in Christ, two groups of people will get two different results: those who are in Christ will get caught up and escape the sudden destruction (earthquake) while those living in darkness get left behind and suffer the sudden destruction. Then Paul shows us this sudden destruction is the start of the Day of the Lord. We find that start of the Day at the 6th seal.

The mystery that Paul revealed was "that it will not be necessary for one to die to receive the benefit of the resurrection", to be changed, to receive an immortal body. Also, nothing is said about being caught up (raptured) in this chapter. Chapter 15 is all about the resurrection, not the catching up. Jesus taught the catching up, as recorded in John 14:3 and Matt 24:31. Your preconceptions are showing here.

1Co 15:51  Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
1Co 15:52  In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

Concerning your mention of 1Thes 5, please notice that two different groups are mentioned. Those who know Christ are in green. There is no peace and safety for those who know Christ during the time prior to the catching up. There is unprecedented persecution, even starvation, exposure to the elements, imprisonment, torture, betrayal, beheadings, etc. But those who worship the Beast will have a period of perceived peace, prosperity, and safety.

1Th 5:1  But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.
1Th 5:2  For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.
1Th 5:3  For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
1Th 5:4  But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.
1Th 5:5  Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.
1Th 5:6  Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.
1Th 5:7  For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.
1Th 5:8  But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
1Th 5:9  For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,
1Th 5:10  Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.

In 1 Thes 5 you fail to recognize that the "they", "them", "of the night", "of darkness", and "others" all refer to the unbelieving Beast worshippers who are persecuting the church. The beast and his followers, having nearly eliminated believers from the face of the earth, will say "peace and safety". The severity of the unprecedented persecution, that Jesus called great tribulation, shall threaten to leave the earth without faith, that is without believers or the elect. Jesus said the unprecedented persecution will be cut short to keep this from happening. "For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened." (Mat 24:21-22) Along the same lines, Luke records Him saying: "And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them? I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?" (Luk 18:7-8) Notice the connection of Christ's words to the cry of the souls under the alter that John sees at the opening of the fifth seal.

During the unprecedented persecution, the world is going about its business as usual. Jesus tells us this when He says that the day of our rescue will be the day that His wrath falls upon our persecutors.

Luk 17:26  And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man.
Luk 17:27  They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.
Luk 17:28  Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;
Luk 17:29  But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
Luk 17:30  Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

Paul reiterates the truth that the day we rest from persecution is the day God begins to tribulate our persecutors.

2Th 1:6  Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;
2Th 1:7  And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
2Th 1:8  In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
2Th 1:9  Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;
2Th 1:10  When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

Iamlamad, you are right that what John sees at the opening of the sixth seal is the cosmic sign that portends (announces the impending arrival) of Christ's revelation which will initiate the day of the Lord. However, His wrath doesn't fall until the first trumpet is blown later the same day. The word sudden is translated from the same Greek word translated "unawares". It means unexpected.

Luk 21:34  And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.

They are caught like a thief catches a householder unawares by Christ's coming (parousia). However, we are not caught unawares (suddenly), we know what to look for, so, the season will be known to us. When we witness the cosmic sign we will know to be watching the skies, because His appearing and our redemption will be nigh.

Luk 21:28  And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

The destruction that comes upon them unawares takes place over much time, at least many months, but not more than a little less than 3.5 years.

One of your major problems, Iamlamad, is that you fail see that it is the day of the Lord that we are not appointed unto (1 Thes 5:2-3, 9). If you understood that you would see how ridiculous this statement is:

9 hours ago, iamlamad said:

Or even that the Day had started and they were now in it - as they had been told.

God's wrath upon them that know Him not and upon them that persecuted His elect falls at the beginning of the day of the Lord after the resurrection and catching up. Jesus taught this and Paul taught this. To think that they thought they were in the day of the Lord would mean that they expected God's wrath to fall upon them. Which no believer would do. However, knowing that severe persecutions precede the day of the Lord, which is begun by Christ's revelation and our gathering to Him, they because of the persecution they faced, may have thought that the day was near in time. However, Paul reminds them of the apostasia (departure from the faith)

Jesus told of those who gladly receive the word but who when persecution comes are offended (Matt 13). In this time of persecution, Jesus says many will be offended.

Mat 24:9  Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
Mat 24:10  And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.

Notice Joe, that this is the first mention of the unprecedented persecution. We know this because of the "therefore" in verse 15. Verses 9-29 all are in the context of great tribulation (the unprecedented persecution) that begins in the middle of the week.

Not only does Jesus say that many will be offended (and fall away) because of the persecution, he also says that the deception will be so great that if it were possible even the truly elect would be deceived. This is the second aspect of the falling away.

Paul tells the Thessalonians that the apostasia has to happen first and it hasn't happened yet, so the Thessalonians could know that the day of the Lord is not at hand (near in time).

Paul, also mentions another event that must take place before the day of the Lord or day of Christ can be said to be near in time. That is the revelation of the Beast (man of sin) in the Temple. Which revelation initiates the great tribulation.

Hallelujah

• Thumbs Up 1