• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

On 3/13/2019 at 5:14 PM, turtletwo said:

Edification is a subject that is near and dear to me.

It is a vital part of Christianity and one we should do our best to practice. 

Perhaps some of you agree with this and would be so kind as to share your thoughts on this subject along with like minded scriptures and experiences.

I hope this can be an edifying (pun intended :emot-nod:) discussion. GBU.

The beauty of edification is that the more edified we are, the less trouble that seeps into our lives. I think that's why the Lord told us to repent (Matt 4:17).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

Ephesians 4:29 says:

American King James Version
Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace to the hearers.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Don't say anything that would hurt [another person]. Instead, speak only what is good so that you can give help wherever it is needed. That way, what you say will help those who hear you.

I came across an article by Fritz Chery which illustrates how kind words tie in to edification.

KIND WORDS
Your tongue is a very powerful tool and it has the power of life and death. I always remember when someone helps me with their words. It might not seem like a big deal to them, but I always cherish a good word. Saying kind words to people cheers people up when they are having a bad day. 

They bring healing to the soul. They go better with advice. When correcting others no one likes when someone is cruel with their words, but everyone can appreciate and will listen to gracious words.

Use your speech to encourage and uplift others. In your Christian walk of faith keep kindness in your speech because it is indeed very valuable.

Kind Words provide many benefits. Not only to the person it is intended for, but also to the person who is saying them.

More thoughts to consider:

“Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much.” 

“With the help of grace, the habit of saying kind words is very quickly formed, and when once formed, it is not speedily lost.”

"Perhaps you will forget tomorrow the kind words you say today, but the recipient may cherish them over a lifetime." 

• What does the Bible say?
  • 1. Proverbs 16:24 "Kind words are like honey sweet to the soul" and healthy for the body.

2. Proverbs 15:26 "The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the LORD: but the words of the pure are pleasant words."

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

1 Now we who are strong ought to bear the weaknesses of those without strength and not just please ourselves. 2 Each of us is to please his neighbor for his good, to his edification. 3 For even Christ did not please Himself; but as it is written, "THE REPROACHES OF THOSE WHO REPROACHED YOU FELL ON ME." 4 For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. 5 Now may the God who gives perseverance and encouragement grant you to be of the same mind with one another according to Christ Jesus, 6 so that with one accord you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. 7 Therefore, accept one another, just as Christ also accepted us to the glory of God.

(Romans 15: 1-7)

Verse 4 shows that one way we can offer comfort and lovingly exhort and spur each other on is through the holy scriptures ...when we interact with other believers ( here at WCF, church, or in our 'everyday places'/circles in which we mingle.)

Let us use the Bible to build up and not to tear down. For our adversary, the devil can trick us into twisting the precious scriptures into weapons against one another...instead of against him. This can and does often happen in religious debates.

Remember the warning...

1350816391_devilasaroaringliontopostinedificationthread.jpg.9f5a4ce467d0e63cd1c93bf75f2aef1e.jpg

9 Whom resist steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, establish, strengthen, settle you.

11 To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 2

• 3 months later...

889121982_EDIFICATIONTHREADIMADEencourageoneanotherwithhandsgoinginacircle.jpg.c55077327ebf8c93b89355e3b5fc2e5b.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

2096855457_SETAWATCHOLORDONMYTONGUESCRIPTUREIMAGEUSEITTOONLYHELPENCOURAGEETC.jpg.6bb4ae669733eee85afd2dcc67befa88.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.36
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:23 AM, turtletwo said:

Ephesians 4:29 says:

American King James Version
Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace to the hearers.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Don't say anything that would hurt [another person]. Instead, speak only what is good so that you can give help wherever it is needed. That way, what you say will help those who hear you.

I came across an article by Fritz Chery which illustrates how kind words tie in to edification.

KIND WORDS
Your tongue is a very powerful tool and it has the power of life and death. I always remember when someone helps me with their words. It might not seem like a big deal to them, but I always cherish a good word. Saying kind words to people cheers people up when they are having a bad day. 

They bring healing to the soul. They go better with advice. When correcting others no one likes when someone is cruel with their words, but everyone can appreciate and will listen to gracious words.

Use your speech to encourage and uplift others. In your Christian walk of faith keep kindness in your speech because it is indeed very valuable.

Kind Words provide many benefits. Not only to the person it is intended for, but also to the person who is saying them.

More thoughts to consider:

“Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much.” 

“With the help of grace, the habit of saying kind words is very quickly formed, and when once formed, it is not speedily lost.”

"Perhaps you will forget tomorrow the kind words you say today, but the recipient may cherish them over a lifetime." 

• What does the Bible say?
  • 1. Proverbs 16:24 "Kind words are like honey sweet to the soul" and healthy for the body.

2. Proverbs 15:26 "The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the LORD: but the words of the pure are pleasant words."

That's right ,  rebuke a wise man he will love thee .      Hands up and let all praise the LORD .

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.36
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 7:29 AM, turtletwo said:

1 Now we who are strong ought to bear the weaknesses of those without strength and not just please ourselves. 2 Each of us is to please his neighbor for his good, to his edification. 3 For even Christ did not please Himself; but as it is written, "THE REPROACHES OF THOSE WHO REPROACHED YOU FELL ON ME." 4 For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. 5 Now may the God who gives perseverance and encouragement grant you to be of the same mind with one another according to Christ Jesus, 6 so that with one accord you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. 7 Therefore, accept one another, just as Christ also accepted us to the glory of God.

(Romans 15: 1-7)

Verse 4 shows that one way we can offer comfort and lovingly exhort and spur each other on is through the holy scriptures ...when we interact with other believers ( here at WCF, church, or in our 'everyday places'/circles in which we mingle.)

Let us use the Bible to build up and not to tear down. For our adversary, the devil can trick us into twisting the precious scriptures into weapons against one another...instead of against him. This can and does often happen in religious debates.

Remember the warning...

1350816391_devilasaroaringliontopostinedificationthread.jpg.9f5a4ce467d0e63cd1c93bf75f2aef1e.jpg

9 Whom resist steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, establish, strengthen, settle you.

11 To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

See the picture of that lion .     It cant begin to compare with the LION of the tribe of Judah .     That lion FLEES the presence of the LORD who is the LION of the tribe of Judah .

And ye have overcome Them ,   For Greater IS HE that is in you than he that is in the world .    YEP ,  TIME TO PRAISE THE LORD AGAIN dear sister .

One can never run out reasons to praise the LORD .   

• Praise God! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,437
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

This subject is of great concern for myself and my church. As Christian's, we all know we are to edify and lift one another up. 

We are a small church and are losing members on a continual basis. I don't know if it's my business to contact some of those whom left our church and ask why. We only recently obtained an interim Pastor, as our previous full time pastor resigned for various reasons. I'm not positive about our problems but, I suspect a good portion of it is gossip? Gossip is slander, and slander is to hurt someone else and / or build yourself up. I believe it's the polar opposite of edification. 

Like many churches these days, I believe Satan has his foot in the door and is stirring us up. 

• Loved it! 2
  • Praying! 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.99
  • Days Won:  21

Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord...

• Praise God! 3

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,183
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, naominash said:

Many believers on this forum have edified me when I was at my lowest.

I appreciate this so much! 

In my own life, I am trying to be someone who builds my husband up with my words. 

The right encouragement in a time of trouble can really strengthen someone. I've seen that firsthand.

I hope God continues to use me to edify my husband and those around me.

He will. As long as your heart continues to desire Him,  He will fill you with Himself as much as you allow Him to. 

Be blessed my sister in Christ. May God fill you with Himself in such a awesome way your joy would be contagious. 

In Christ, Not me 

Edited by Not me
  • Praise God! 2