• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  248
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  373
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  09/10/1963

What exactly is gluttony all about? Is it really a deadly sin? Is it just a Catholic issue?

I can understand it being a sin but not a deadly one. Is my understanding correct that it's just a sin?

Example correct me if I am wrong.. at church when they pass around a plate more then once. Shouldn't one time be enough? Or when someone has food

and you're hungry. It's theirs and they won't share it. And last thought that it basically is having an overabundance that you won't help somebody?

Edited by Waiting2BwithHim
added thought

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

57 minutes ago, Waiting2BwithHim said:

What exactly is gluttony all about? Is it really a deadly sin? Is it just a Catholic issue?

I can understand it being a sin but not a deadly one. Is my understanding correct that it's just a sin?

Example correct me if I am wrong.. at church when they pass around a plate more then once. Shouldn't one time be enough? Or when someone has food

and you're hungry. It's theirs and they won't share it. And last thought that it basically is having an overabundance that you won't help somebody?

It is a sin just like any other sin. It is not an unforgivable sin. It is not a Catholic issue. It is over eating and over drinking. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

The Romans would have feasts where they stuff themselves  then forced themselves to vomit so they could stuff themselves again.  They did the same with alcohol.  This would go on for up to 12 hours.   It was in connection with their fertility god, Bacchus, if I remember right.    

gluttony is characterized by a limitless appetite for food and drink and overindulgence to the point where one is no longer eating just to live, but rather living to eat." 

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  248
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  373
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  09/10/1963

20 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

One can make an idol of anything.....that is why gluttony is considered a sin.....if eating is of first importance in your life, you have made it an idol ......you could do it limitless says.....football, golf , sex, drinking,money,your job......anything you put before God in  your life

If this then has to do with making it about over eating how does one know if they should be considered a glutton and not just one that is hungry from being malnourished? Example how much is too much? We all need to eat to be alive? How much food does it take then before it becomes glutton?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,366
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9

2 hours ago, Waiting2BwithHim said:

Depends on what scripture it is. There are different words with different meanings translated to a Latin word that mean "to gulp down", then to our English word glutton or gluttony.

Paul used it once in a context that fits our idea of gluttony when he said "your stomach is your god." But he was also helping them to see their purpose was living to feed the appites of their flesh and letting them know we are called to a higher purpose in Christ.

Glutton - Gluttony

( Deuteronomy 21:20 ), Heb. zolel, from a word meaning "to shake out," "to squander;" and hence one who is prodigal, who wastes his means by indulgence. In Proverbs 23:21 , the word means debauchees or wasters of their own body. In Proverbs 28:7 , the word (pl.) is rendered Authorized Version "riotous men;" Revised Version, "gluttonous." Matthew 11:19 , Luke 7:34 , Greek phagos, given to eating, gluttonous.

Edited by Reinitin
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,938
  • Content Per Day:  3.06
  • Days Won:  1

5 minutes ago, Waiting2BwithHim said:

How much food does it take then before it becomes glutton?

Those All you can eat buffet at one price at the restaurants, people don't want to eat just enough but until their stomach expanded with pain

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,938
  • Content Per Day:  3.06
  • Days Won:  1

I guess two plates is the maximum we can take, 3 plates is pain only