• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  1,214
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  0

5 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

I wholeheartedly agree. They are deplorable in a lot of ways, and not usually immoral at all. No swearing that can be recalled in most of them, and nothing overtly suggested either. It's just that reality programs aren't very realistic. It's as convincing as watching wrestling, and I find that absolutely ridiculous. No one could possibly survive that many injuries, and then go on to the off-mat dramas included. What brilliant entertainment. 

yes i think the dramas on many of those shows are probably created by the producers.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,568
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Ha just remembered the first color tv in  our household, a combination thing with a record player and high fidelity from mad man Muntz. A Muntz TV. It had a circular screen. Felt like looking  into a small gold fish bowl. One could not vacuum near it as  the motor of the vacuum cleaner would scramble the orientation of the color cones leaving a future image that looked much like 3D movies did without the red and green lensed glasses to view it did.

Each time I forgot, the family had to call the tv repairman -remember the tv repairman? He would get out his degausser wave it in circles in front of the tv and "presto" the proper color cone orientation was restored.  Eventually one could rent a degausser right at the grocery store. We actually bought one.  They were right at the tube tester station and tubes for sale by the check out counter.

Hey remember replacing tubes and the warning  don't try to touch these two the ones in the metal power box that glowed? I used to ground them out with a screw driver tapped onto the side of the metal box then touch the top of the tubes. There would be a bit of an arc, and then I could carefully remove the high powered tube and go get another one. They were the expensive tubes close to ten bucks each.

Now people just throw the whole tv away, use plastic to pick up a new one at Wally World. Ah smell the opiate, never ending tedium for all and it fits flat on the wall. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

11 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

A Muntz TV. It had a circular screen.

I remember those. Never had one though. My dad bought a 21 inch black & white Zenith during the 1950's, with one large woofer speaker installed underneath the screen. Pretty powerful fidelity for even back then, and we used it until 1978. Color came to the family. I think it might have been a Zenith also. How many TVs ago was that now? They sure don't last as long as they used to. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,106
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

7 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

I remember those. Never had one though. My dad bought a 21 inch black & white Zenith during the 1950's, with one large woofer speaker installed underneath the screen. Pretty powerful fidelity for even back then, and we used it until 1978. Color came to the family. I think it might have been a Zenith also. How many TVs ago was that now? They sure don't last as long as they used to. 

We have one of the early Visio flat screens...   I think we got it in 2004...    still going so maybe it will outlast the old Sylvania we had for a couple of decades.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,568
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Well I confess, I am going to save one monitor so that I can continue to play and see my Betamax tapes.

Ha! Seriously, remember ( Sony) Beta and the debate who will win out? Seems the lowest common denominator, tends to win over quality. Cheap is better than being best in this consumer market place. Remember Sony was going to lose against VHS and go out of business too?

Now DVD's are ancient, memory sticks, and streaming, and the cloud are the thing, the medium darlings of the moment.

But what is the message?

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

11 hours ago, turtletwo said:

@Sower :thumbsup:Well said. This is an interesting way to look at it. And so true. Thanks for posting it.

My favorite 'go-to verse' about viewing habits (ranging from what you watch to what you read/pictures in magazines) is Psalms 101:3

“I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.” 

I agree with our brother King David in that scripture. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. If we don't bother watching (or reading/looking at) junk in the first place, we won't have to deal with the fallout (of images we'll regret later. OR the need to deprogram our minds from the world's corrupt agendas/worldviews.) 

I think of it as what has been described as "garbage in/garbage out." What we see/hear is bound to affect us to some degree. Our minds are like a computer taking in data and filing it away to access later.

This was captured well in the lyrics of a song especially for children, but applies to all people. It is called "Input/Output (The Computer Song.)

I will be posting the words into a separate thread I'm starting...called Lyrics that pack a punch (songs with messages that matter.) I hope some of you will visit and enter hard hitting/important lyrics from Christian songs you know in it. :)GBU. 

That's right dear sister .     What we view , will have an effect on us .

Therefore let us view That Which is HOLY and all out HONORING to the LORD .

What we feed from and what we feed will either edify us , or even destroy us .

Let us sing in the SPIRIT ,  LET us walk in the Spirit and let us feed on that which is HOLY .    SOund pure bible doctrine .   FEEDS the SOUL FAT .   And FOLLOWING HE WHO has SAVED

us keeps a lamb fat , protected ,   kept from falling ,      IT JUST KEEPS A LAMB FAT AND HAPPY .     

And now a reminder from paul .      Let not these things even be once named among you as becometh saints .     FEAST on that which is HOLY ,   PURE ,  LOVELY ,  FEAST ON

the THE WORD of OUR LORD , thanking him continually , the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name .   And let us do that which is good in HIS SIGHT .

For HE is with his own .     HANDSUP and PRAISE the HOLY LORD .   And let us touch not , view not ,   DO NOT and Speak not any evil thing .  BEYE HOLY FOR I AM HOLY .

as I said ,  FAT and HAPPY LAMBS are those who KNOW and FOLLOW THE KING .  

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  875
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  1

I used to watch tv. It ruined me I’m sure. I don’t know if internet is better? I think not. 

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

Any television program that can’t stimulate the intellect of the viewer is a waste of time....whatever became of the quality shows that one could enjoy without being embarrassed by the inanity of them? Now what did I do with those “ My Mother, the Car” tapes?

• Haha 2

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

5 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Now what did I do with those “ My Mother, the Car” tapes?

Could they be among the "Ghost and Mrs. Muir" video cassettes? Both are pretty close circa: 60's. :P 

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

Hos about, “ I’m Dickens- He’s Findster” ? Another classic...

• Thumbs Up 1