• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

52 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

Yes, I also believe the Lord can and does do the impossible. However, the only two examples we have in the scriptures, are Moses and Jesus. Moses to receive the Law, and Jesus for defeating His humanly temptations by the devil, and for preparedness of His ministry while here on earth. I cannot be in agreement that God calls anyone else to this. It would be disheartening to know the opster became nigh unto death just to get spiritual. 

and Elijah?  What about him?  I have done extended fasting.  All this protest is just unbelief and fear which is not faith.  Jesus is my EXAMPLE in faith and practice.  He fasted because the Spirit DROVE Him into the wilderness ...it was Father's will and He submitted to it.  And Father had a purpose in it...and it was not for "spiritual strength" to endure the testing.

If God is not calling you to fast, then don't....but be very careful of standing athwart His call to others.  Personal experience and fears are not indicators of Biblical truth.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

1 hour ago, appy said:

Again, no one is speaking against fasting.  But attempting to go without food for 40 days is foolish to say the least.

obeying the will of God has never been foolish nor will it ever be.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,631
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

5 hours ago, Jostler said:

Personal experience and fears are not indicators of Biblical truth.

Actually they very much are confirmation of biblical truth. When the Holy Spirit makes  the specific call to an individual that is experience. It confirms a Biblical truth the God through the Holy Spirit does call  each that are foreknown and predestined by Him  through th eHoly Spirit to see Jesus as lord god an dpersonal savior. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

7 hours ago, Jostler said:

and Elijah?  What about him? 

Yes, you're correct about that, brother. I mistakenly forgot him. My error, thanks for pointing that out. Could this also be an indicator of why so many feel the two witnesses will be Moses and Elijah? Perhaps there is some validity to this. However, am I to assume any of us should feel so called to think ourselves on the same level as Moses, Elijah and Jesus our Lord? Pretty big assumption I think. Just saying. If you read the opster in this case very carefully, he's fasting for the sole purpose of becoming more spiritual. And you're saying that's wise. I see. Thank you for making the clarity. Hmm...

912665022_hmmsmiley.gif.a6fa5cd1c17196044b85832821c024c9.gif

Edited by BeauJangles

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/16/1974

Guess I've written all I have to say.  

I did NOT come asking for advice and ideas.  Perhaps the biggest issue here.  In OP and as a response, I asked for been there done that (BTDT) advice/wisdom/etc.  If ya havent been there and done that, (or begun and then stopped) I cant think one would have much to say that would be proffitable.

Everything I wrote is my own experience.  100%. 

I have no interest in defending myself, but do feel that those perusing any E/F, should have a place to start.  

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

On 2/25/2020 at 8:19 AM, Walking Chipmunk said:

I did NOT come asking for advice and ideas.  Perhaps the biggest issue here.  In OP and as a response, I asked for been there done that (BTDT) advice/wisdom/etc.  If ya havent been there and done that, (or begun and then stopped) I cant think one would have much to say that would be proffitable.

Everything I wrote is my own experience.  100%. 

I have no interest in defending myself, but do feel that those perusing any E/F, should have a place to start.  

From my own experience, entering into a physical condition that endangers the electrolytes and nutrients in one's body for such an extended time is not what G-d would want. In the instances that you have mentioned, Walking Chipmunk, they were the exception and not the rule. If one fasts, they should begin slowly and safely, and refrain from "40 day" anything that would risk their good health.

One also must ask: is this fast for a clear communing with G-d, or is it seeking one's own glory in claiming "I did this thing!"?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  99
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

If God is not the author and finisher it is for nothing and certainly not for God.  If there is something you can do to serve others before yourself, do that and you will please Him and likely heal yourself too.

-Pv-

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

On 2/25/2020 at 1:29 AM, maryjayne said:

No-One has yet answered the question of WHY a 40 day fast is a good thing spiritually, or why God would call someone to risk their life in this way. Why 40 days specifically?

Me thinks some, not all people , but some people attempt a 40 day fast as a test of endurance. Perhaps to prove to themselves that they can. The bible never shows fasting as a testing of endurance that would give them heightened spiritual experiences, visions or very extraordinary insight as many mystics as well as Christians assert or that it will greatly increase the possibility of God answering their pursuits in prayer.  Jesus told us that the essential means to answered prayer is by faith, not fasting. Moses was in the very presence of God so to speak while on the mount. We are not and the reason that Jesus sent the Holy spirit to dwell in our hearts, for it is He who teaches us, what God wants us to know and do.

Fasting is suitable, because Christ is physically absent from the earth. But it is appropriate only as an event to special times of testing, trial, or struggle. I honestly don't think marathon fasts such as this, will make one more sincere and dedicated to the Lord,  than if they had only done so for a 3 or a 7 day fast. Our sincerity in our hearts is enough.

“Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.

“But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face,

When Jesus spoke to His disciples about fasting, why did HE say "when you fast" instead of "IF you fast" ?

As if He had an assumed expectation that fasting was to be a regular part of spiritual life?   If that is true, why is fasting almost completely absent from western Christian practice?  And yet those who have never fasted a day in their life, have all kinds of opinions about how others should view the topic?  And never once refer to Scripture and what He says about fasting.  Odd to say the least....

Is this not the fast that I have chosen:
To loose the bonds of wickedness,
To undo the heavy burdens,
To let the oppressed go free,
And that you break every yoke?

Is it not to share your bread with the hungry,
And that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out;
When you see the naked, that you cover him,
And not hide yourself from your own flesh?

Then your light shall break forth like the morning,
Your healing shall spring forth speedily,
And your righteousness shall go before you;
The glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard.

Then you shall call, and the LORD will answer;
You shall cry, and He will say, ‘Here I am.

“If you take away the yoke from your midst,
The pointing of the finger, and speaking wickedness,

If you extend your soul to the hungry
And satisfy the afflicted soul,
Then your light shall dawn in the darkness,
And your darkness shall be as the noonday.

The LORD will guide you continually,
And satisfy your soul in drought,
And strengthen your bones;
You shall be like a watered garden,
And like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail.

“However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.”[fn]

So He said to them, “This kind can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting.”[fn]

Edited by Jostler
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 2

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

On 2/25/2020 at 5:19 AM, Walking Chipmunk said:

That's good to hear, brother. Probably the wisest you've mentioned in the entire six pages of this topic. 

On 2/25/2020 at 5:19 AM, Walking Chipmunk said:

I did NOT come asking for advice and ideas. 

Oh, I see. Hmm. Well, you did seem to indicate that here in your opening post. Our mistake. Sorry! :)

On 2/12/2020 at 1:00 AM, Walking Chipmunk said:

Any experiences here with a 40 day water fast?  Or a link to a thread about?

And so we'll just close the chapter on this book, shall we?