IGNORED

Revelation 1:10 - "The Lord's Day". What is this scripturally?

DignifiedResponse

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  334
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

Revelation 1:10 - "The Lord's Day".  What is this scripturally?

Rev 1:10  I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

I have heard many things in regards this text and the phrase in question, yet most that I have heard, refer to writings that come hundreds of years later, and those with mere guessing, without referring back to the scripture itself.  So, exclusive of material written after the fact by orders of many years, what does the scripture itself teach on this subject?

Immediate Context:

Rev 1:1  The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
Rev 1:2  Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.
Rev 1:3  Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.
Rev 1:4  John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;
Rev 1:5  And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
Rev 1:6  And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
Rev 1:7  Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.
Rev 1:8  I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
Rev 1:9  I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.
Rev 1:10  I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,
Rev 1:11  Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
Rev 1:12  And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks;
Rev 1:13  And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.
Rev 1:14  His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;
Rev 1:15  And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.
Rev 1:16  And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.
Rev 1:17  And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:
Rev 1:18  I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.
Rev 1:19  Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;
Rev 1:20  The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

“If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath and from doing as you please on my holy day, if you call the Sabbath a delight and the Lord’s holy day honorable, and if you honor it by not going your own way and not doing as you please or speaking idle words,

The only biblical reference  I found was about the Sabbath...but then there is also Judgement day
  • Brilliant! 2

30 minutes ago, Riverwalker said:
“If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath and from doing as you please on my holy day, if you call the Sabbath a delight and the Lord’s holy day honorable, and if you honor it by not going your own way and not doing as you please or speaking idle words,

The only biblical reference  I found was about the Sabbath...but then there is also Judgement day

Well, that is a good reference!  That version of Isaiah 58:13 nearly says the exact phrase, and the only difference is the modifying adjective "holy" - "the Lord's holy day", and so if the adjective is removed, it would read, "the Lord's ... day".  The context of that statement, would then point directly to the "the Sabbath", which would make "the Lord's ... day" the seventh day of the week.

As for "Judgment day", that is not indicated by the Isaiah 58:13 text.  The only other references that are somewhat close, and yet not the same thing are, "the Day of the Lord".  That phrase, "the Day of the Lord" is associated with Judgment Day, yet that cannot be the day referred to in Revelation 1:10.  John was actually "in the Spirit" "on" "the Lord's day".  It refers to a specific day of the week, in which John saw such things, regarding past, present and future.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

1 hour ago, DignifiedResponse said:

what does the scripture itself teach on this subject?

Immediate Context:

MIA TON SABBATON

April 7, 2012

The key to understanding Yehoshua’s (Jesus’) resurrection day phrase from the inspired Word of God for the Greek text verses of Matthew 28:1, Mark 16:2, Luke 24:1, St. John 20:1,19; Acts 20:7, and 1 Corinthians 16:2 follows somewhat as ‘μια τῶν σαββατων’ which is transliterated as mia ton sabbaton and is translated to literally mean as; ‘one of the sabbaths’.

This phrase has been traditionally perceived, interpreted, and understood to read as ‘the first day of the week’ or less commonly as ‘the first of sabbaths’ in anidiomatic fashion where Hebrew weekdays are determined in a referenced order from one weekly Sabbath to the next weekly Sabbath. 

However, the resurrection day phrase the ‘first day of the week’ could have appeared in the Greek as;

‘πρώτο ημέρα του εβδομάδας’ of the original texts and transliterated as ‘prote hemera tis hebdomata’ but does NOT literally exist anywhere in any shape or form.

Consider specifically in all of the resurrection day passages stating the Koine Greek word ‘σαββατων which is transliterated as sabbaton where the literal English rendering is translated as ‘sabbaths’ and is plural of meaning in line with Greek Syntax rules.

In the key resurrection verse of Matthew 28:1 the original Koine Greek word ‘σαββατων’ appears twice in the same sentence being plural in a literal meaning at both instances, i.e. MTH 28:1.

“οψε δε σαββατων τη επιφωσκουση εις μιανσαββατων ηλθεν μαρια η μαγδαληνη και η αλλη μαρια θεωρησαι τον ταφον”
GREEK TEXT – STEPHENS (Editor) 1550 – TEXTUS RECEPTUS

The full sentence of Matthew 28:1 would render closely like;
“Late (οψε) but (δε) sabbaths (σαββατων) to the (τη) lighting-up (επιφωσκουση) into (εις) one of (μιαν) sabbaths (σαββατων) Mary (μαρια) Magdalene (μαγδαληνη) and (και ) the (η) other (αλλη) Mary (μαρια) observed (θεωρησαι) the (τον) sepulchre (ταφον).”

What could this possibly mean according to Greek Syntax where the contrasting ‘sabbaths’ in the very same sentence have a duality of definement with a co-existance between one and another?

Hence, Matthew 28:1 may be describing details in meaning like ; ‘Late (adverb) (post-after-end) (genitive of seperation) more-over (the annual Passover) sabbaths (plural) as it was lighting up (twi-lighting) on one (a cardinal number) of the (a partitive-genitive case function) sabbaths (plural)….’ etc.

Thus we are given a description of time pertaining to an interval when the Passover period was complete and had already finished. e.g. >>>

‘End (opse-adverbial) the 2 High sabbaths (Nisan 15 & 21  i.e. EX 12:16) of the Passover period onto a weekly sabbath ( 1 0f 7 ) or one sabbath from a ‘week’ of sabbaths within the 50 day counted duration between Passover (from the sheaf offering LEV 23:11,15,16) leading up to Pentecost.’

Thus, Yehoshua (Jesus) would have arrived at Bethany on Friday Nisan 8th being six days before the Passover on Thursday Nisan 14th A.D. 34. He was crucified on Wednesday Nisan 20th in the Passover preparation day (JHN 19:31) to Thursday Nisan 21 (Holy Convocation Day) and would resurrect 3 days and 3 nights later (Sign of Jonah/MTH 12:39, 40) on the weekly sabbath late afternoon of Saturday Nisan 23rd. This day being one integral sabbath in a week of sabbaths (7 weekly sabbaths) within the counted 50 day period leading up to Pentecost i.e. LEV 23:15.

* To clarify the original intended meaning furthermore behind the mia ton sabbaton phrase, you may view a Word Press article entitled;

A TREATISE ON THE LORD’S DAY

>>> 

http://pmary65.wordpress.com/

by The Consolidated Christian Commemoration

consolidatechristcommemorated@aim.com

* May God Bless You immensely with a sound Biblical understanding regarding the mia ton sabbaton resurrection phrase.

https://miatonsabbaton.wordpress.com/2012/04/07/the-resurrection-of-yehoshua-on-mia-ton-sabbaton/

1 hour ago, Justin Adams said:

MIA TON SABBATON

What does that phrase have to do with Revelation 1:10 or Isaiah 58:13?  "Mia ton Sabbaton" is transliterated koine Greek, which is not present in Revelation 1:10:

Rev 1:10  εγενομην εν πνευματι εν τη κυριακη ημερα και ηκουσα οπισω μου φωνην μεγαλην ως σαλπιγγος

The koine Greek phrase found in Revelation 1:10, is "τη κυριακη ημερα", which transliterated into English alphabet is "te kuriake [h]emera", not "mia ton Sabbaton".  The two phrases are unrelated in context and language.

You wanted to know about The Lords Day. There it is.

2 hours ago, Riverwalker said:

The only biblical reference  I found was about the Sabbath...

Look at this, based upon the same idea!

"The Lord's day" according to scripture (sola scriptura):

Genesis 2:1-3,4 - 'the seventh day', 'God', 'day', 'the LORD God' [… God [the LORD] … day …]

Exodus 16:23 - "to morrow [the seventh day] is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the LORD', 'to day' [… the LORDday …]

Exodus 16:25 - 'to day [the seventh day]; for to day is a sabbath unto the LORD: to day' [... the LORDday …]

Exodus 20:8-11 - 'the sabbath day', 'the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God', 'the sabbath day' [… the LORDday …]

Exodus 31:15 - 'the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD ... the sabbath day' [… the LORDday …]

Exodus 35:2,3 - 'the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the LORD', 'the sabbath day' [… the LORDday …]

Leviticus 23:3 - 'the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD'

Deuteronomy 5:12,14 – 'the LORD', 'the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God' [… the LORDday …]

Psalms 92:1 - 'A Psalm or Song for the sabbath day. It is a good thing to give thanks unto the LORD'

Isaiah 56:6 - 'Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath [day] from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant' (context new covenant) [… the LORD[day] …]

Isaiah 58:13 - 'the sabbath ... my [the LORD's] holy day ... the holy [day] of the Lord' [… [the LORD's]day …]

Isaiah 66:22,23 – 'the LORD', 'one sabbath [day] to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD' [… the LORD[day] …]

Jeremiah 17:21 - 'saith the LORD... on the sabbath day' [… the LORDday …]

Matthew 12:8 - 'the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day' [… the Lordday …]

Mark 2:28 - 'the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day' [… the Lordday …]

Luke 6:5 - 'the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath [day]' [… the Lord[day] …]

Revelation 1:10 - 'the Lord's day'

Isaiah 58:13 seems to be the closest rendition.

Here are some other translations of Isaiah 58:13

KJB - "... my [context, the LORD's] holy day ..."

CJB - “... Adonai’s holy day ..."

ERV - "... the Lord’s special day ..."

EXB - “... the Lord’s holy day ..."

GW - "... the Lord’s holy day ..."

ICB - “... the Lord’s holy day ..."

ISV - "... the Lord’s holy day ..."

TLB - "... the Lord’s holy day ..."

MSG - "... God’s holy day ..."

NOG - "... Yahweh’s holy day ..."

NABRE - "... the Lord’s holy day ..."

NCV - "... the Lord’s holy day ..."

NET - "... the Lord’s holy day ..."

NIRV - "... the Lord’s holy day ..."

NIV - "... the Lord’s holy day ..."

NIVUK - "... the Lord’s holy day ..."

NLT - "... the Lord’s holy day ..."

TPT - "... Yahweh’s holy day ..."

If only the context of Revelation 1 could be accurately shown to be referencing Isaiah 58:13, then we could be certain.

Edited by DignifiedResponse
sp.

7 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

You wanted to know about The Lords Day. There it is.

I do not see that at all.  What I see (honestly, and without cruelty) is a theological mess, a hodgepodge of stacked together texts and unfounded reasoning.  Again, not to be in any way harsh - that response was not in anyway associative of the context of Revelation 1:10, it's language and structure.

So I will 'strongly disagree' with the assertion put forward that 'mia ton sabbaton' is in any way related to 'te kuriake [h]emera' and the context thereof.  Also, please keep the discussion to the topic of the OP.  The "wednesday" crucifixion theory cannot stand the test of scripture, and is not part of this thread's topic.  If it is brought up again, moderation may become involved.  If you want to discuss that topic, begin your own thread, please.  Thank you.  I have asked in Christian charity.

Edited by DignifiedResponse
sp.

Nisan 14 thru 17 IS scripture. I do not mind your disagreement with the facts. Take it up with The Most High God.

And, "I was in the spirit on the Lord's Day" is quite relevant. The various 'modifiers' of the texts have much to answer for.

I have personally read numerous commentaries on this text and subject and most of them assume their apriori into the text itself, and do no real scripture only Bible study on it, but always refer to writings that take place hundreds of years later, based upon their own apriori and never given any foundational and scriptural material, but always only anecdotal testimony.  I do not think that is a good way to study the Bible (at all).  So, not for any part of foundational understanding, and for a contrast to those others, here are some honest commentators on the subject of Revelation 1:10.

Peter Pett's commentary makes this accurate note:

"... Sunday is not called ‘the Lord’s day’ (he kyriake hemera) anywhere in Scripture ..."

Dr. Thomas Constable likewise states the same truth:

"... The New Testament writers never called Sunday the Lord"s day elsewhere in Scripture. ..."

Richard Chenevix Trench has stated on record, and accurately that:
"... “Some have assumed, from this passage, that ἡμέρα κυριακή was a designation of Sunday already familiar among Christians. This, however, seems a mistake ..."
Likewise, Foy E Wallace states:

"... It is not a reference to the first day of the week ..."

• Thumbs Up 1