IGNORED

May I have some advice on how to overcome selfishness and resist temptation consistently?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hi everyone,

I've been a believer in Christ since 2015. I've been living with my sinful desires for as long as I can remember (#relatable, anyone?).

I've always struggled with self-control. Fulfilling my impulsive desires is an easy habit, especially with a lack of motivation. This isn't just true with spiritual things, but natural things as well.

For example, I've always procrastinated. The stress of it isn't motivation enough to quit doing it for some reason. I try at the beginning to get things done even when I don't want to. Over time, I lose the luster and fall behind. I tend to need change very often to stay alert and focused. I don't mean minute by minute, but every few months. I chose a career that operates on a short-term project-basis partially for this reason.

Sometimes change isn't possible, however. So in those times of perseverance, I need to self-propel, and I struggle to do so.

On the spiritual end, my lack of self-control gets me into a lot of trouble. I've long been fascinated by occultism.This week, I made myself a spirit/Ouija board. The stuff fascinates me when it should terrify me. I've been worried I'll never overcome it fully, and what that might mean.

I've overcome a lot these last few years, but I'm struggling to renew my mind. It's a grievance against God. I feel numb. Numb to my sin. Hardhearted to it. As if I'll never make it through this and time is running out. As if I should be punished harshly for what I've done. Maybe the enemy is slowly convincing me I'm dead meat; I've come to a point where I believe it, and that really scares me.

I know Jesus says that no one will snatch [a true follower of Him] out of the Father's hand (John 10:28-29). I just wish to know if I am simply deceived and belong to the devil, so I can move on with my life instead of this mental hellscape I've given myself to.

I really do believe in Christ, but the mental battle is rough. I want to stop being selfish and resist these ungodly desires, to stop causing more problems for myself and start being the solution. I need a practical first step to walk out and help create good habits and destroy bad ones.

Any advice?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praying! 1

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,079
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

I will preface these comments by saying I am not a trained counselor. I only have so much insight as you have provided here which could be incomplete or partially complete. I am not accusing you of doing this intentionally. I'm only saying I have the impression there might be a much bigger story behind this and you have attempted to condense it here. With those thoughts in mind I will comment my thoughts feelings on it so far as I am able to hopefully answer a few questions.

You seem to be painfully honest with yourself as to your short comings. I see the fair evaluation of yourself as told to others a very strong first step because you know what the PROBLEM or problems are and are not afraid to admit them. This is a good thing if it's all transparent between God and yourself. We don't matter nearly as much.

The Bible tells us the natural man ( and woman) does not naturally accept the things of the Spirit. We are fleshly and carnal. The Bible tells us our inherent sin leads to death. Not only in this life but in the next. So how does a sinner who acknowledges their sin break free of it? They don't. Not without help. The only solution to breaking the curse of Adam is to seek help from Jesus. I mean sincerely seek help and be willing to turn from our evil ways and desires. Repentance means to "turn away from" with a mind to stay away from sin. We can't attempt to play both sides of the coin intentionally. While it might take awhile for the Lord to work all of the sin out of us, sincerely allowing His work in our lives begins the process. 

You may maintain an interest in the mysterious without participating in occult activity. I have an interest in the unexplained but I keep everything I investigate submitted to the will of God. Investigating the mysterious as a Christian will yield far more answers than investigating the occult using the devil's ways. Satan lies, Satan blinds, Satan creates a mirage. The Christian sees the mysterious through the lens of truth. Which would you rather have? A lie or the truth that will set you free? I don't think anyone likes being lied to. This is the occult in a nutshell. A bag of lies. If anyone comes at you with a bunch of "hidden knowledge" run. The deeper you get into that the more they take parts of the bible and distort it to make it almost seem Christianity is for the uninitiated and the occult is for the wise. Take my word for it ( or not) I HAVE looked into it from the outside comparing all of their false claims with actual facts. It's a worm hole of lies.

The Lord says, " Choose you this day who you will serve" . You can make the other choice and pay dearly for it. "There is a way which seems right to a man but the end thereof are the ways of death."

Man's way is to find a religion that lets him do whatever he wants to do. This way leads to eternal death.

2 Timothy 4:3

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but having itching ears, they shall heap to themselves teachers in accordance with their own lusts.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Content Per Day:  2.44
  • Days Won:  11

On 4/30/2021 at 11:59 PM, MiraculousFaith said:

Hi everyone,

I've been a believer in Christ since 2015. I've been living with my sinful desires for as long as I can remember (#relatable, anyone?).

I've always struggled with self-control. Fulfilling my impulsive desires is an easy habit, especially with a lack of motivation. This isn't just true with spiritual things, but natural things as well.

For example, I've always procrastinated. The stress of it isn't motivation enough to quit doing it for some reason. I try at the beginning to get things done even when I don't want to. Over time, I lose the luster and fall behind. I tend to need change very often to stay alert and focused. I don't mean minute by minute, but every few months. I chose a career that operates on a short-term project-basis partially for this reason.

Sometimes change isn't possible, however. So in those times of perseverance, I need to self-propel, and I struggle to do so.

On the spiritual end, my lack of self-control gets me into a lot of trouble. I've long been fascinated by occultism.This week, I made myself a spirit/Ouija board. The stuff fascinates me when it should terrify me. I've been worried I'll never overcome it fully, and what that might mean.

I've overcome a lot these last few years, but I'm struggling to renew my mind. It's a grievance against God. I feel numb. Numb to my sin. Hardhearted to it. As if I'll never make it through this and time is running out. As if I should be punished harshly for what I've done. Maybe the enemy is slowly convincing me I'm dead meat; I've come to a point where I believe it, and that really scares me.

I know Jesus says that no one will snatch [a true follower of Him] out of the Father's hand (John 10:28-29). I just wish to know if I am simply deceived and belong to the devil, so I can move on with my life instead of this mental hellscape I've given myself to.

I really do believe in Christ, but the mental battle is rough. I want to stop being selfish and resist these ungodly desires, to stop causing more problems for myself and start being the solution. I need a practical first step to walk out and help create good habits and destroy bad ones.

Any advice?

Hi, MiraculousFaith.  Please, if you will simply (but with a contrite heart) repent of the specific sin you alluded to, your Father in heaven will forgive you.  It’s His promise to you.  He even sent His Son to die for you so that you could be washed clean in His blood.  I think I’m hearing from you that because of this sin, you are frightened and losing hope, motivation, etc.  Spend more time studying.  There are many online commentaries and Bible studies.  This will begin the process of renewing your mind.  Do you have any Christian friends or family members that would love to help you in this wonderful new journey?  Or we here at Worthy could help you ....actually, we’d love to! 

Please stop the occult stuff.  It will only lead you into the darkness.  Please stop it immediately.  I pray you’ll update us here regarding your progress ....or nonprogress....just anything you’d like to share with us. . . Selah

Edited by Selah7
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,216
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

Hey.. the mind is the devils play ground. For me they way I fight it is with what God said in His word. Doubt about being saved.. man the devil uses that on all of us.. John 3:16 Rom 10 9-10. Fear.. NO God has not given me the spirit of fear but of power love and a SOUND MIND! Read Phil 4. 

Yes you are in Christ and are in the Fathers hands.. He will never drop any. Resist the devil and he HAS TO not maybe but has to flee. KNOW that if GOD said it then no matter how you feel see hear GOD will ALWAYS Keep HIs word. OT Call on the name of the lord and you SHALL be delivered. YES its that easy. You do that.. no matter what you feel hear or see KNOW have Faith that GOD will do it.. and HE did :) The JOY of the lord is your strength <--say that when your not happy.. praise HIm..sing praises to Him when you don't feel like it.. He is there every time. You don't go by how you feel.. just keep going it. 

That armor we are to put on? Put on the whole armor of GOD! Its Him. That peace? and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." yep is HIS peace. 

Be strong in lord in the power of HIS might. Again.. its all HIM! Relax.. laugh.. you have His joy HIs strength His peace His armor.. on and on. What HE started in you.. no matter what you think do or say. HE WILL finish it. He has never once failed.

So do like the rest of us do.. we goof up we miss it.. we get all kind of thoughts.. get up dust off keep going. Repent.. Christ is FAITHFUL and JUST to forgive you and cleans you from ALL unrighteousness. 

Forgiving your self can be one of the hardest things. Christ told us.. He does no condemn us. Thats hurt because we know we sin goof up and its wrong.. Yet He died for us.. ROSE AMEN! We are IN Christ. So just repent.. turn over a new leaf, do a 180.. keep going. You oops fall.. get up repent keep going. If we get stuck in some sin.. RUN TO HIM!  He will always make a way out. Always run to Him. He will in no wise cast you out. 

Fact.. Satan would not bother us if we were not HIs or doing something God wants us to do or God is about to move in our lifes. 

Something to remember... any of those LIES that the enemy puts in your head? Just flip them.. well the enemy can not tell the truth.. think about that. See if we get stuck looking at our sin.. then thats all we see. Focus on HIM. no matter what.. keep your eyes on HIM! Goof up.. keep your eyes on HIm

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,125
  • Content Per Day:  7.06
  • Days Won:  97

On 4/30/2021 at 10:59 PM, MiraculousFaith said:

Hi everyone,

Any advice?

My friend, I was an absolute mess for many years, a train wreck on two feet. Being well-acquainted with suffering and the faithful discipline of the Lord, I'm not worried for your sake in the least. On the contrary, I know you will succeed because our Lord Jesus Christ has you firmly in His hand. Not only will you overcome this world like our Savior did, but you're in the process of being refined in the furnace of suffering, being shown where you end and where He begins.

This is a blessing beyond compare. The Lord loves you like no other.

Do not despair on account of that old woman who is perishing, @MiraculousFaith. Don't be dismayed by those traditions and customs of her past, secure in the knowledge that they're coming to an end like she is. This is the power of God and His Spirit upon you, the knowledge that He is preparing His vessel fit for His purpose on this earth. By your own words you know the Truth:

This flesh is your obstacle, sister. Take that Ouija board and anything else associated with it, and burn it in a safe place. Burn it all and while the flames consume that nonsense to ashes, sing a song to the Lord and praise Him for all that He has done for your sake. If the flesh rises up and you find yourself in possession of such things once again, then back you go to burn it to ashes. 

How many times? Seventy times seven if need be. Be of good cheer because the Lord will never give up on you. I ought to know, because the Lord never once gave up on me. Yes indeed, I was a wreck for the longest time so never forget the longsuffering and kindness of our Lord Jesus Christ, sister. You are only beginning your walk with Him. :) 

Edited by Marathoner
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  104
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

On 5/1/2021 at 12:59 AM, MiraculousFaith said:

Hi everyone,

Any advice?

Have you taken time to find all the scriptures throughout the Bible concerning the occult or divination? If not, the Holy Spirit cannot use the truth found in all those scriptures to convict you and renew your mind. "You" can't renew your mind, that is the Holy Spirit's job. Your job is to study God's Word so the Holy Spirit has what is needed to "change" your mind.

Here is an interpretation of what your post says (to me): you are saying, "I study and research the occult and even produce products of the occult. Because of this study and active production of occultism, the enemy has altered my mind and as a result of this change of mind, the enemy has used this to cause doubt, to harden my heart, to make me believe time is running out, cause me to believe I need to be punished harshly, I'm dead meat, the enemy is presently pounding my mind with guilt as well..."  You have provided the enemy ALL it needs to mold your mind and thus, lead you into unrighteousness. 

Now imagine if you studied the scriptures, involved yourself in Bible studies, fasted (a righteous work), prayed, etc. Then the Holy Spirit can "reNEW" your mind and lead you in ways of righteousness and  repentance.

Know this, "guilt" will initially "feel" like conviction. In time one can discern whether or not one has guilt from the enemy, or conviction from the Holy Spirit. Here is how... guilt's pain will allow you to remain in what is sinful and can hold you to what is sinful = resist the scriptures... into unrighteousness. Conviction will initially be painful but will uplift you to seek after the scriptures (the Word/Jesus) = resist the sin... into repentance.

Edited by Slug1
  • Well Said! 2
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  445
  • Content Per Day:  0.32

pray and pray.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.19

I agree with Starise that you can maintain an interest in the unexplained,  but from a christian perspective.  I watch a lot of documentaries and read a lot of books. When I hear of stories of ghosts and aliens, I believe that they are demons or evil spirits. Nevermind that they are also behind the agenda of the New World Order.

I have watched many horrifying stories of people tormented by demons and I pray for their salvation and deliverance. Dabbling in the occult opens doorways.

I got saved before I got in too deep. I previously had a "head knowledge" of God, but not true saving faith. I was attracted to the occult like a moth to a flame. Detailed readings from playing cards, tarot cards and even a few horoscopes came true. 

I remember playing with tarot cards in my work break area. A guy entered the area. Immediately,  words formed in my mind, but not an actual voice: "He doesn't like us". The guy told me how his mother played with the occult and he was attacked by demons as a child. He said, "And let me tell you, it was not fun."

I only tried to play with those things once after I was saved. I had an overwhelming feeling of invisible spirits warring around me. I repented and threw them away. That was over 30 years ago.

I am reading a kindle book about power and authority over darkness. She said she saw demons whisper things into the ears of people. Maybe you need to read books like this. A dollar book I bought years ago says we need to rebuke demons when we leave work and public areas to keep them from following us home.

Maybe you should watch those Travel Channel shows that reveal how once these doorways are opened,  people can be tormented awfully and even their pets can killed.  I've seen such heartbreaking stories that make me cry. They possess people, talk others into killing themselves, torment innocent children.  Once your eyes are truly open, you will want no part of it. 

I have other battles of the flesh now. I am praying for you. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.19

To anyone interested in the occult and secret societies, you might want to search for a video by Altiyan Childs. I am currently trying to watch this long video little at a time on BitChute. Someone said it was wiped off YouTube. 

Please have patience and go back to it. I knew the main point before it was revealed, but many don't.  But I am blown away by the evidence shown from Freeasons, Satan worshippers and sheer volume of celebrities and politicians involved. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,467
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

James 2:19 (KJV) Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

I have a four-page testimony, much too long to post here. Going to bed at night terrified me, as my thoughts involuntarily drifted to; am I really saved? An eternal separation from God in Hell forever, gave me night sweats, overwhelming fear, and loss of sleep. 

Again, it would be much too lengthy to cover the details. Only you and the Lord know if you are truly saved or not? I would suggest first, doing an honest self-examination of yourself. In the little book of 1st John, there is an eight-question test to confirm if you are truly saved or not. As a first step if it were me, I would slowly read and digest the scriptures, and when I got to each of the proofs. I would apply it to myself, and honestly evaluate it in my heart.

Like everyone else, when I first got saved, even now, I still have a sin nature I battle all the time. When I genuinely got saved, my "want to's" drastically changed. There were some immediate changes in many things, some I still battle, as we constantly mature in our Christian lives. 

Being saved is a three-step process: (1) I was saved [past-justification]. (2) I am being saved [present - sanctification]. (3) I will be saved [redemption - glorification].

To paraphrase the apostle Paul: My mind and spirit is ready and willing, but my sin nature and the flesh hinders what I will. We are powerless to deal with evil spirits; it takes Jesus and the indwelling Holy Spirit; and the tools we are given to "STAND" [Eph. 6:10-18]