IGNORED

Do you have an educated guess as to what happens to severely depressed people that commit suicide?

Not of the World

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  1.84
  • Days Won:  1

By the way, if this topic is considered taboo or controversial I will understand if management prefers to delete this thread.  Either way, thanks in advance.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  11

I believe suicide is a sin because, if we think about it, to fear and be depressed is to doubt all of God’s promises.  However, there are also mental diseases, etc.  . . .

But God is omniscient, meaning that He knows all things.  He is also fair.  What else is He?  He is full of mercy.  Psalm 36:5 tells us—Your mercy, O LORD, is in the heavens; Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.

• This is Worthy 2
  • Loved it! 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,250
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

When someone commits suicide, they place themselves in the hands of someone who knows them inside and out.   Jesus will know what to do with them and I don't believe we should be putting Jesus in a box as to how he should judge someone.

To the person thinking about it "I" say that one can't be sure what will happen to them, but, to my knowledge Jesus never said it was OK.  Tell them that God made them and because of that, they are worth something to him.  I've told them that God laid a lot on them right now for there is something you need to do and need to be able deal with it....   making them a bit special.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,053
  • Content Per Day:  3.30
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Not of the World said:

By the way, if this topic is considered taboo or controversial I will understand if management prefers to delete this thread.  Either way, thanks in advance.  

One of the curses of the earth from Adam to Noah was violence. It started with Cain and Abel and reached a zenith at Noah's time (Gen.6:11). When Noah came out of the Ark men would be terrified of the gathering of clouds. So God made a Covenant with Noah. Noah, being the source that all men would come from in future, was designated by God to represent "ALL FLESH" (Gen.9:17). That is, Noah's side of the Covenant applied to man and beast. God promised not to destroy the earth by water again, and Noah's side of the Covenant was to apply the death penalty for murder, and that men would refrain from eating blood. In regard to the death penalty for murder, God gave His reason in Genesis 9:5-6;

And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man. 6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man

That is, a blow against another man was a blow against God because man was made by God and made in God's image. This thought is enlarged in the next Covenant with Abraham where God said that anybody who took the position of Abraham's enemy would be God's enemy as well. In the Law of Moses the thought is upheld except that allowance was made for accidents. To murder someone isa open transgression against God.

I'm and old man and I have seen life. Once, as a young man I considered suicide. I know that people can have terrible despair. I know that people are weakened by circumstances and see no way out. I am not any other man's judge. But suicide is (1) a terrible blow against God Who made you and made you in His image, and (2) a terrible display of belief that God can NOT and will NOT deliver you. This will not go unanswered at the Judgment Seat. The man or woman who commits suicide must weigh whether they want to show this total disdain for God.

And one should also consider Luke Chapter 16. A rich man did not share his goods with a poor man. When he died the rich man's troubles started. Don't think that your troubles are over when you are dead. they might just be beginning. Don't get into a fight with God. It will end much worse than all the negative circumstances you might face in life.

Edited by AdHoc
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

I don't have an educated guess. Rather, it's better to go by Scripture.  I suppose you are asking "what happens" to them after they depart.  The same thing that happens with any human being who departs who did not have depression.  What does the Scripture say? What sins can be forgiven?  What about faith?  It depends on that individual's circumstances.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  774
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,950
  • Content Per Day:  3.05
  • Days Won:  1

The Richs want to live forever but the Poors want to die earlier.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  248
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  4,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.55
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  10/04/1980

there are other reasons to commit suiside other than depression. my sister has fibromyalga (sp) and she told me sometimes she wants to end her life instead of living in constant pain.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Praying! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

25 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

As much as I would like to disagree with Omegaman and what our Bible says, I know he is correct. Several years ago, my only brother selfishly shot himself in the heart. As I am sure myriads will attest, the pain of losing a loved one in such a way stays with you and hurts.

That weighed very heavily on my soul. Only the Lord and my brother Bob knew whether he was saved. Mentioning the reasons why would be of no benefit after the evil deed. Frequently I think to myself, I wish he had called me instead of my sister when he called her and announced what he was about to do. It is a selfish, uncaring, inconsiderate, and stupid thing to do, with no regard for anyone else’s love and feelings. I had never felt so many emotions all at once; love, hurt, anger, hate, deep sorry, and depression.

That act was one of several reasons that, shortly after that, changed my life. I had a spiritual breakdown not long after, and the Lord drew me back to Him. Getting back to reading God’s word, almost immediately, for some reason, as if presented to me, these verses popped off the pages of the Bible:

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Peace with the Lord and joy returned to my life after so many decades.

My heart goes out to you Dennis, but, I am so glad that you returned to serving our Lord. Frankly, you are a blessing to the body of Christ, and to all those reading your posts on Worthy.

After losing my daughter to cancer in 2007, I too had a crisis of faith. I learned that we live in a fallen world, and that Jesus knows all things that happen to us, and He will work out the details in our lives, both Now, and in the eternities to come. I also learned that our family members also have choices that they will make. We as leaders in our families just need to cover them in prayer and pray that they make the best choices. Don't know why I mentioned my daughter, but, maybe something will spark some helpful thoughts in you.

Regarding the topic at hand; We know the 'train wreck' of hurt and emotions that suicide brings, but I also believe that severe depression is an illness and nobody in their right mind chooses to end their lives, they are sick. My opinion is that I believe that Jesus will sort it all out with His mercy and grace . . . 

Ray . . .  

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1