I have trouble with this verse

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  184
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

The Bible says for we are saved by faith and not by our own works, and true I do believe we are saved by faith, but the Bible also says we must repent and turn from our wicked ways, then put our faith in Christ Jesus to saved. So how can it say we are not saved by works when we have to stop sinning, and we have to repent. Yes I will be the one to say it’s usually done through God putting that spark of light in our hearts, and showing us that sin is wrong not that we don’t already know that sin is wrong, but as men and women we sometimes get lost in sin and sometimes can’t see the wrong we do with a clear mind. Still we do have to do work… For example a drug addiction, it’s hard to come off of drugs, trust me I know, and that takes work, I can’t say I did it alone because without the father I never could have gotten off of drugs, but I still did, and it took work, and if I didn’t get of the drugs I would not have been saved I wouldn’t have been a repented man, and I would still be the the same drug addicted alcoholic cussing pridefull man I was then. Thankfully God put that spark in my heart and helped me through the suffering aka WORK…  I just don’t like it when people seem to think that if they accept Jesus as there lord and savior that it’s ok to sin, yes everybody sins at sometime or another, but drugs drinking smoking lust etc… are not aloud. You will not be saved just by faith without putting in the work to stop, and avoid them things

And I mean no disrespect to the Bible verse nor am I saying what it says is false, I just have a hard time agreeing with it, and was hoping some other Christian’s could shed some light on the subject.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

10 hours ago, faithfull-prophet4040 said:

The Bible says for we are saved by faith and not by our own works, and true I do believe we are saved by faith, but the Bible also says we must repent and turn from our wicked ways, then put our faith in Christ Jesus to saved. So how can it say we are not saved by works when we have to stop sinning, and we have to repent. Yes I will be the one to say it’s usually done through God putting that spark of light in our hearts, and showing us that sin is wrong not that we don’t already know that sin is wrong, but as men and women we sometimes get lost in sin and sometimes can’t see the wrong we do with a clear mind. Still we do have to do work… For example a drug addiction, it’s hard to come off of drugs, trust me I know, and that takes work, I can’t say I did it alone because without the father I never could have gotten off of drugs, but I still did, and it took work, and if I didn’t get of the drugs I would not have been saved I wouldn’t have been a repented man, and I would still be the the same drug addicted alcoholic cussing pridefull man I was then. Thankfully God put that spark in my heart and helped me through the suffering aka WORK…  I just don’t like it when people seem to think that if they accept Jesus as there lord and savior that it’s ok to sin, yes everybody sins at sometime or another, but drugs drinking smoking lust etc… are not aloud. You will not be saved just by faith without putting in the work to stop, and avoid them things

And I mean no disrespect to the Bible verse nor am I saying what it says is false, I just have a hard time agreeing with it, and was hoping some other Christian’s could shed some light on the subject.

When anyone believes and for clarity he believes that Jesus died on the Cross for the forgiveness of our sins his sins are not counted against him. Jesus knows everything about him but also knows that he believes in Him that it is a big compliment to Him because He did not died for nothing or the very few. He knows that He is calling also afflicted people to believe in him and hatred is stronger affliction than anyother affliction but He still is calling all people as they are to believe in Him. And not only for eternal Life in the Heavenly but He also wants to help them in this life and if they want to or as much as they want to. And He has given them one less burden not to worry about Hell because no one of anyone who believes in Him is going there and no one to be tormented with these kind of thoughts. But to be happy in this matter and to be happy that the people close to them if they believe that they are people of Jesus Christ. No matter what, our faith in Jesus Christ saves us. Jesus work of redemption through His death on the Cross, and our faith in Him saves us. We need both Jesus Christ dead on the Cross and our faith in Him our faith in Jesus the Son of God who dued for the forgiveness of our sins and whom God raised Him from the dead. God wants us to be happy and to give him Thanksgiving to him for Jesus Christ, and give thanks to Jesus Christ. And He gave us the Holy Spirit to help us in this life to be overcomers, in all things. And He also imputes his righteousness upon us so if anyone even our self looks in our own righteousness and thoughts comes that he is not saved or he can not be saved for the things he does then the believer must remind himself that by his own righteousness he is saved from the things of this world that can afflict the  people, but he is saved from the Judgement because he is cloth in the imputed righteousness,  of Jesus Christ by faith alone. You are not going to be Lost if you smoke or because you drink actually you should drink a little bit and a little bit more. Or if you die from drug overdose or suicide as a believer in the merciful Jesus Christ.   

Edited by Your closest friendnt

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

John 14:15 ‘If you love me, keep my commands. 

We are not saved by our faith, but by the faith God gives to us. Eph 2:8+9.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

3 minutes ago, Who me said:

John 14:15 ‘If you love me, keep my commands. 

We are not saved by our faith, but by the faith God gives to us. Eph 2:8+9.

We are saved because we believe in Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of our sins period.

We are Judge if we do not believe for that matter we are saved because we believe. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,148
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  05/25/1970

We are saved by grace through faith. I said a sinner's prayer and I was saved, got a new heart. If I had died then I would have gone to heaven. But I didn't die and now it's work out your salvation with fear and trembling. I don't understand how someone can use that text to say: live like the devil and it's all fine and you're saved anyway. It was just impossible to come to God by doing good works out of your flesh.

Edited by RdJ

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,998
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

3 hours ago, faithfull-prophet4040 said:

The Bible says for we are saved by faith and not by our own works, and true I do believe we are saved by faith, but the Bible also says we must repent and turn from our wicked ways, then put our faith in Christ Jesus to saved. So how can it say we are not saved by works when we have to stop sinning, and we have to repent.

image.png.f0f9b2f3d8bf037f16dcf324aab55da7.png

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,222
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

10 hours ago, faithfull-prophet4040 said:

The Bible says for we are saved by faith and not by our own works

I believe that Romans chapter ten is the most detailed in what we must do to be saved.

Rom 10:9-10
9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
ESV

When one trusts or has such faith in Jesus, we willingly follow him as he is our Lord.  Which means we if he is our Lord, we must follow what he says to do, which naturally produces good works just in the way we live our lives.

But do the good works actually save a person.   No, if that were possible, then Jesus died in vain.  But let us remember that good works do not save a person, but a saved person will, by his/her nature, do good works.

My own conjecture would question a person's salvation if they do not have any good works at all, though.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,304
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

9 hours ago, faithfull-prophet4040 said:

The Bible says for we are saved by faith and not by our own works, and true I do believe we are saved by faith, but the Bible also says we must repent and turn from our wicked ways, then put our faith in Christ Jesus to saved. So how can it say we are not saved by works when we have to stop sinning, and we have to repent.

It is about essence... 

John 4:24 (KJV)

[24] God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

As we are born spiritually dead and the why Jesus says this

John 3:3 (KJV)

[3] Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

And the nourishment of the s/Spirit is God's Word and that food is The Life of The Son Jesus

John 6:53 (KJV)

[53] Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

We are now aliens in this world as Spiritual reborn beings and are thinking patterns are changed to Scriptural truth no matter the accepted thought around us... One of the major changes is how we view the 'do to get' to -> 'I have been feely given so I do'

John 14:21 (KJV)

[21] He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

I do not do in order to be but, as I am therefore I do... translated to love God with all of new birth and others as self...

Mark 12:30 (KJV)

[30] And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

[31] And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Yes I will be the one to say it’s usually done through God putting that spark of light in our hearts, and showing us that sin is wrong not that we don’t already know that sin is wrong, but as men and women we sometimes get lost in sin and sometimes can’t see the wrong we do with a clear mind. Still we do have to do work… For example a drug addiction, it’s hard to come off of drugs, trust me I know, and that takes work, I can’t say I did it alone because without the father I never could have gotten off of drugs, but I still did, and it took work, and if I didn’t get of the drugs I would not have been saved I wouldn’t have been a repented man, and I would still be the the same drug addicted alcoholic cussing pridefull man I was then.

As we do not any longer look to the world or our flesh for truth but find it only Scripture ... we see why The Lord said do not eat from this tree... A thing most missed in their walk is the fact that flesh is not redeemed nor the world in which we have began in... that means to us as eternal beings slated to live with God in new heaven and new earth eternally and with absolutely no memory of any of this continuing... should no longer cling to that which passes away but to that which never ends

Isaiah 65:17 (KJV)

[17] For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.

1 Corinthians 13:8 (KJV)

[8] Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

Revelation 21:1 (KJV)

[1] And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

[2] And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

[3] And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

[4] And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

[5] And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

When we do- it is only because we are and we can never consider the substance of what we are using to do with as that which will continue with us... only the souls of people and God's Word continues on... thus if we have not the eternity in our heart we have not the new birth and The Person of The Holy Spirit within us as... this alone motivates the born again toward the things being kept...

I just don’t like it when people seem to think that if they accept Jesus as there lord and savior that it’s ok to sin, yes everybody sins at sometime or another, but drugs drinking smoking lust etc… are not aloud. You will not be saved just by faith without putting in the work to stop, and avoid them things

It is not easy to turn from the world and our flesh... after all it is what we were began in! But as I said above when we open our hearts, mind, will to the reality of God we become repented of what we are and who we are, so completely, that we ask for God to save us even though we agree there is nothing there to save... I know this sounds absurd to the mind but only to the influence of flesh it is so... Becoming what we are not >IS< the mercy of God to us and when we become this, new s/Spiritual birth, all things must be made new (the stuff of eternal keeping)... Repentance is the piggy back of belief
A good treatise on this https://bible.org/question/repentance-necessary-salvation

Works has absolutely nothing to do with salvation... and 'new birth-essence' is absolutely required! The only thing we can do with flesh is this- Roman 6, 7, 8

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,229
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

I'm not saved because I sin or never sin. I am saved because I believe He is who He said He was and where He came from John 3:16/Rom 10:9-10. Sin is fun for a season but what sin does is takes you away from God and then it will kill you. He loves us so much and He knows this is a fallen world. We come to Him as we are not only if we stop sinning first. For me  55y in the lord He has never once made me feel bad or guilty nor condemned me for any sin. The times I got stuck seeing just my sin wanting to walk away from all this.. all He did was tell my how righteous, in right standing with God. Its not how we see our selfs its how He sees us. Its already finished, Christ did it all not us. I don't have any right to sin but He already died for the sin of the world. 

So we are no longer slaves to sin but slaves to righteousness. Your looking at it wrong. Your "works" do not touch salvation. Some do tend to see sin as more powerful then Salvation.  Stop sinning.. like He told the one "go and sin no more least a worse thing come on you". If we focus on the sin that's all we will see. Look at what He already did...focus on Him. This is not a race to see who is the best at not sinning for we all lost already. Who do we rely on, lean on when we fall is what matters. Never take your eyes off Him. Do not get stuck looking at self. Its all Him.. His joy, His strength, His peace, His armor,  His might blah blah blah. 

My wife once said to me about 35y ago "if you love me you would not do that". Just knowing she was right was not good enough. I had to know I was wrong and want to change. I'm getting at .. I don't do good works because I was told to or thats what the bible says. Doing it that way.. well its not good works. It has to be from the heart.. its just in me.. I want to do good things yet there is the other side that loves so sin. Its a fight we do every moment of ever day no one is free YET from it. Its why in Eph we read "And be renewed in the spirit of your mind" and in Phil where we think on these "whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things" and "where we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ”.

We have to do these things 24/7 for sin is always as the door.  So you are in right standing with God not because of good works but what Christ has already done. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • This is Worthy 1