• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi martin,

I was baptized about a year after I accepted what Christ did for me on the cross. It was more because I was still living at home, had been brought up Catholic and was already baptized in the catholic church. Since then I have slid away a bit, and come back. I am thinking about a re-dedication baptism for myself this summer.

I see baptism as another step in your Christian walk, following what Jesus did.

Jenn_Jenn

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  616
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  3

My grandmother, whom I live with, often talks about me getting baptized. I am a Christian, but I'm definitely not as she is. I see a lot of baptisms at my church and they always ask the person if they believe Jesus Christ is the son of God. I agree with that, but there has to be more to it. What does it really mean to be baptized and what kind of commitment is involved?

personally I think the baptism of the spirit takes place before one is publicly baptized, its a command to be baptized as a believer, having doubts of the reality of Jesus being the Son of God and dying for your sins would be a big indicator that you are not really born again, for someone who is born again has absolutely no doubt Jesus is the Savior of the world

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forum Guest_Martin!

It is such a pleasure to have you here to join us and let us celebrate the joy of your salvation with you!!!!!The Word of God clearly tells us that there is only one requirement of you that you will not perish but have everlasting life and that is to believe in Jesus that He is the son of God who was raised on the 3rd day, confessing with your mouth that He is your Lord and Savior.......the act of being water baptized is a beautiful way to publicly express your faith and also(personally speaking) a very liberating personal and intimate

experience....when I chose to be water baptized(many years after I was baptized by the Holy Spirit)I felt a sort of cleansing,physically ,emotionally and spiritually.But,it is a personal choice and not mandatory according to scripture.

Just as so many of my brothers and sisters have already told you that being baptized(by water) is just one more platue you reach in your Christian walk,as your intimacy with the Lord develops you will become more sensitive to the promptings of the Holy Spirit that will lead you and guide you to Wisdom and understanding and there will be no question as to what you should do.

Funny you should say,"there's got to be more to it than that?!''Thats the wonderful thing about Gods "grace",it is the undeserved free pass given us by Jesus taking our place,paying our debt!Simply(nothing more to it)because He loves us sooo much!Hard to believe but that is the foundation of our Faith!!!!Well,Lothar's son,talk to God-The only reason you have that priviledge is because Jesus made that new and living way He consecrated for us to enter into the Holy of Holies through the veil(His flesh),reconciled to our Father-WOW!

Yes,talk to the Father....read His Word,keep Jesus in your heart of hearts and watch Grandma,she sounds like a good representation of Christ in your life...of course you are different than she is because each of us have our very own special relationship with our Lord but we are all members of the same Body....a hand looks and acts nothing like a foot ...but are all necessary parts of the body!

God bless you and keep you and i am praying for you with love in the name of Christ Jesus!                             Kwik

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  03/23/1986

Baptism is not simple water only, but it is the water comprehended in God's command and connected with God's Word.

My grandmother, whom I live with, often talks about me getting baptized. I am a Christian, but I'm definitely not as she is. I see a lot of baptisms at my church and they always ask the person if they believe Jesus Christ is the son of God. I agree with that, but there has to be more to it. What does it really mean to be baptized and what kind of commitment is involved?

Baptism is not simple water only, but it is the water comprehended in God's command and connected with God's Word.Christ, our Lord, says in the last chapter of Matthew: Go ye into all the world and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.It works forgiveness of sins, delivers from death and the devil, and gives eternal salvation to all who believe this, as the words and promises of God declare.It is not the water indeed that does them, but the word of God which is in and with the water, and faith, which trusts such word of God in the water. For without the word of God the water is simple water and no baptism. But with the word of God it is a baptism, that is, a gracious water of life and a washing of regeneration in the Holy Ghost, as St. Paul says, Titus, chapter three: By the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Ghost, which He shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ, our Savior, that, being justified by His grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. This is a faithful saying.It signifies that the old Adam in us should, by daily contrition and repentance, be drowned and die with all sins and evil lusts, and, again, a new man daily come forth and arise; who shall live before God in righteousness and purity forever.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

For me being baptized is very important. It is the start of having a christian life and also removing the original sin you've had before you were born. But actually, it's up to you or your family if they would like you to be baptized.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

Baptism has nothing to do with our salvation.  We are baptized because we want to follow Christ in our walk.  Jesus was baptized.  I think it just seals it in our hearts, at least it did mine.  No it did not save me, that was taken care of months before, but this made me know beyond a doubt I was a new creation in Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  625
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Baptism has nothing to do with our salvation.  We are baptized because we want to follow Christ in our walk.  Jesus was baptized.  I think it just seals it in our hearts, at least it did mine.  No it did not save me, that was taken care of months before, but this made me know beyond a doubt I was a new creation in Christ.

Believer's immersion baptism is certainly related to our walk with Christ for the rest of our lives. Public confession will be tested after that. In fact, Jesus was tempted by Satan after His baptism. Satan is bound to do the same for us too. It is a trial that we should overcome in order to the saved. Baptism may bring troubles, opposition and sufferings that are part and parcel of a believer's life. Of course, we can endure by the strength supplied by our Savior. Only with water baptism one can expect baptism of the Spirit by Jesus Christ.

One cannot quote the thief on the cross and avoid baptism. He was about to die. There was no question of christian life for him subsequently. Therefore, avoiding baptism does not auger well with a devoted life with born from above experience.

Salvation

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. John 6:47

In

Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. John 15:3-4

Jesus

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Alone

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

~

One cannot quote the thief on the cross and avoid baptism. He was about to die. There was no question of christian life for him subsequently. Therefore, avoiding baptism does not auger well with a devoted life with born from above experience.

~

To Quote My Dear Brother John, You Know, The Baptizer

I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: Matthew 3:11

And The LORD, All Will Know God's Fire

For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt. Mark 9:49

Even Those That Are His

That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: 1 Peter 1:7

And Those That

And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: Revelation 14:9-10

Are Not

The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand. He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:35-36

~

Some Of The Most Loveless People I Hear

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:3

Speaking Of The Dire Need For Water Baptism

Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. Matthew 5:4

Are The Ones Who Lollygag Around For Months Or Years

Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. Matthew 5:5

Before They Will Maybe Baptize A New Believer

Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus. And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. Acts 8:35-38

And Then They Tell The Widow Her Husband Is Burning In Hell

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Romans 8:1

Because He Failed To Get Submersed In Water By Some Fellow Or Another

So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do. Luke 17:10

Just 

Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. Matthew 5:6

My

Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. Matthew 5:7

Observation

Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God. Matthew 5:8

See

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. Matthew 5:9

Love, Joe

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I was once asked,

If your saved do you have to be baptise To which I replied,

No you do not have to be baptised to go to Heaven, however, it is a preferred option. The Lord would prefer you to identify yourself with Him publicly by offering yourself for baptism by total immersion in water.

Read 1st Peter Ch 1 vs 21-22. "The answer of a good conscience towards God".

See also Rom Ch 6 vs 3-7. This is not strictly speaking referring to water baptism, but it does in my opinion give one some help in understanding what it is all about.

I do hope that this is of some help to you.

The Lord bless you.

Edwin.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  02/20/1942

I was Christened as a baby but for most of my life did not have any beliefs.  About 20 years ago I found Jesus but never got baptized as an adult.  For one year now, my wife and I have gone to a wonderful church that has made a world of difference in our lives.  About six months ago after much soul searching and prayer my wife and I decided to be baptized together.  

Before making that commitment the minister of our church asked us two simple questions.  How did we come to know Jesus?  Secondly, what does Jesus mean to you?  My route to knowing Jesus was a long one and involved a lot of heart ache.  But, to finally accept Jesus as my savior and to have a personal relationship with Him has made me a very different person.  It took me a long time to walk again with Jesus but taking that step and being baptized as a public commitment has changed our lives for the better.