firestormx

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Ou knowledge is imperfect. Seeming contradictions in the Bible have been elaborated on by great Bible scholars, but sometimes we have to forget everything else and just take the Scriptures for what they plainly say. If they contradict according to our understanding, we just accept them by faith. Some things are written to give God's perspective, yet others give mans perspective. We cannot reconcile them entirely because we are not God.

For instance, I have found that truth opens up greater understanding of all of the Bible. That is true of the Trinity. I believe it also occurs when we accept that both predestination and free will are true. The problem arises in that most of us dig in our heals.

Other things are preferences, prejudices, fears and tradition. So there are those who hate the band and loud music in some churches. They can't accept that there may be people who prefer an updated version of the Bible who are not cult members. So we are told to bear with the weaker brethern and not to let our freedom to cause them to stumble. They are good people who mean well. We forbear one another in love.

There's something wrong if our prayers don't ever accomplish anything right?

Not necessarily. God sees time differently than we do, and it might simply be that its not time on His schedule for what you are praying for to happen yet. I know people who have prayed for things like the salvation of a loved one, or change in life situation that didn't happen until years later -- but they kept praying nonetheless.

The word of God states very clearly and very bluntly that we are NOT to lean to our own understanding, Proverbs 3:5. So why is it, that's exactly what so many of us do? Even up here on worthy, Isn't that what we all do here, each discussing our opinion, our understanding, and in some cases getting upset when someone don't agree with it. As I read and study the word, I see more and more that Old and New testament saints alike, just like jesus spoke and did only what they got directly from God. When they did things or spoke things on there own is normally when sin happened. If the word of God, or maybe just prophecy is not up for private interputation, and we are not to lean on our own understanding then much if not most of believers are in serious error. What has God led each of you too, in regards to Lean not to your own understanding?

I've been considering this very thing for a while now. I've hit something of a wall.

Here's the tricky part: What exactly does not leaning on your own understanding look like in the 21st century in dealing with 21st century problems? That question applies especially to things that may not be addressed directly in Scripture.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

What has God led each of you too, in regards to Lean not to your own understanding?

To be Berean and compare everything to scripture. Where things contradict scripture, they should be discarded.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

Proverbs 3:5-6 NASB Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.

Proverbs 3:5-6 AMP Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding. 6 In all your ways know, recognize, and acknowledge Him, and He will direct and make straight and plain your paths.

The above pertains to all areas of life, including Bible study. Most mature Christians know that praying and asking God for help in understanding is the way to start every Bible study. We are to diligently study and grow in God's Word. We will obviously have an interpretation, and we should know that some areas of God's Word are much more difficult than others to study and understand. What we correctly understand and interpret depends on many things, certainly including how yielded we are to God and our maturity in Bible study. Disagreement with other brothers and sisters in Christ about various portions of Scripture should be expected, especially regarding the deeper things of God's Word. This does not hint that the Holy Spirit of God is responsible for the disagreement. Yes, there will be opinions, and some of those opinions will be wrong. How we handle disagreements becomes important, especially on non-critical issues. There will also be disagreements about what is or is not a critical issue.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  02/12/1950

Hmmm: My understanding come from His Word, so it really is not my understanding for the food I eat is His!

Job_28:28 And he said to man, "The fear of the Lord—that is wisdom, and to shun evil is understanding.'"

Job_32:8 But it is the spirit in a man, the breath of the Almighty, that gives him understanding.

Mar_12:33 To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."

ICL~~~Dennis

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Thank you to everyone for the responses.

Let me clarify alittle. The first church was of one mind. They were unified. One Doctrine, one Spirit. They trusted God for there understanding. This is not the case today. Almost every believer I have ever known would say they didn't lean to there own understanding, because the believed the word of God, the bible. That the bible was there source along with prayer and seeking God, so how could they be leaning on there own understanding. But when people read the word, who interputs it? Who decides what it means? If we in our own heads, in our own minds decide what it means, then are we leaning to our own understanding?

• Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Let me clarify alittle. The first church was of one mind. They were unified. One Doctrine, one Spirit. They trusted God for there understanding. This is not the case today. Almost every believer I have ever known would say they didn't lean to there own understanding, because the believed the word of God, the bible. That the bible was there source along with prayer and seeking God, so how could they be leaning on there own understanding. But when people read the word, who interputs it? Who decides what it means? If we in our own heads, in our own minds decide what it means, then are we leaning to our own understanding?

Only briefly were they of one mind fire. Only briefly

The glorious first church is something of a myth. Read the NT. (I know you have) Do you really see all this unity or do you

see problems, factions, heresy, warnings and sin?

Come on. That first church perfection never existed.

Another thing: they did not have the Bible that we do! They had letters that became the Bibles that we have

Think about that and maybe that will ease some of your current conflict

God has it all under His control...THAT is what you should realize. And God is not anyone's puppet

Before you go further, you have to let the fact that the early church was NOT some perfect heaven on earth sink in

How could it have been with human nature (sinful) being what it is?

If you are in doubt as to the veracity of my statements, I will be happy to provide many passages to underline my post

If you really want to study and get a grip on God's affairs, you have to come out from under the microcosm of your own

world and into God's universe and understand His vastness and perfection. Think on these things...we cannot

change anyone and need God's Holy Spirit within to work on just our own self

LISTEN: (read) NO one ever complained more than I have (in the past) about the church and Christians....it hurts

to have God's hook put into your nose and have your face turned around. Part of the devil's strategy is to divide

believers and get them pointing fingers at each other. This is a process I guess we go through when we really

want Who and What God is and yet we look around at the church and see chaos and confusion.

Let the ENTIRE Bible sink in. It's all there. There is nothing new under the sun

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Only briefly were they of one mind fire. Only briefly

The glorious first church is something of a myth. Read the NT. (I know you have) Do you really see all this unity or do you

see problems, factions, heresy, warnings and sin?

Come on. That first church perfection never existed.

Another thing: they did not have the Bible that we do! They had letters that became the Bibles that we have

Think about that and maybe that will ease some of your current conflict

God has it all under His control...THAT is what you should realize. And God is not anyone's puppet

Before you go further, you have to let the fact that the early church was NOT some perfect heaven on earth sink in

How could it have been with human nature (sinful) being what it is?

If you are in doubt as to the veracity of my statements, I will be happy to provide many passages to underline my post

If you really want to study and get a grip on God's affairs, you have to out from under the microcosm of your own

world and into God's universe and understand His vastness and perfection. Think on these things...we cannot

change anyone and need's God's Holy Spirit within to work on just our own self

I think the greater conflict with me is something else. flesh against spirit, our sin and weaknesses vs God's perfection. We will always sin and fall short, we will always need Christ as our only hope of salvation. But where is the line between his truth and us and our understanding? I mean so many people ( self included) Hold so tight to how they understand the word, that they refuse to move, refuse to be corrected, refuse to admit they don't understand it all, that there doctrine is not 100% perfect. When is it standing on the truth of his word vs standing in the pride and arrogance of our understanding of his word?

• Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Well, are there 2 things going on?

You do mention the first church, which I hopefully pointed out was not perfect or heaven on earth

and now you are speaking of a different issue, regarding sin...

Are you trying to reconcile your understanding of the things bothering you with understanding scripture in the light

of personal interpretation or what?

I'm trying to help because I have certainly dealt with these issues...but it seems every time I think I wrote something helpful,

you go...ummmm...ok...but then there is this...LOL!

Can you somehow be clearer? Not saying I have all the answers for you, but I like helping if I can :)