IGNORED

The popularity of the internet and social media

DeaneRenata

Guest shiloh357

who uses the internet? seriously?

for all of you who bash social networking like facebook, well got news for you, what do you think your doing here? you log on, you got a profile, and you converse with other people from around the globe. Your still socializing. You have a good deal more privacy then on facebook-but it is still social networking. social networking has been around almost since the internet was started, its just changed forms. Facebook and other social networking sites, are what you make them. They can be tools to keep in contact with friends and family, it can be a powerful way to spread a message and get lots of people together to support good causes. It can also be misused. Same with forum sites like worthy. The internet, and the tools within, are what you make them.

The difference is that on Worthyboards, we are for the most part, anonymous. We don't use our real names or post pics of ourselves.  We are not posting family pics and publically messaging friends and family members.  We are not connecting with old high school or college buddies or staying in touch with Grandma and Grandpa.

Messageboards have been around for a long time and no one ever referred to them as "social networking."  Social networking really did start with MySpace and Facebook.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,872
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

If George should close Worthy and we knew it was coming would any of you join Facebook and post privately to others who wanted to be friends from here?

I still wouldn't join, social media is drowning in jealousy, suicides and sloth.

americans ain't changin' the world, they just take pictures of it / and post it on the internet like their actually accomplishing somethin'

online social networks are just an illusion of power / who's making profit while i say goodbye in my final hour

that certainly would not accurately describe the news feed on my facebook account.......    you can make it whatever you wish by carefully picking your friends and keeping things just available to your friends.   You can even set up so that small groups of your friends can only see certain things.   Or if you want to spread the Gospel, those posts can be open to the world.   Just as in life, you have to choose your friends wisely.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

If George should close Worthy and we knew it was coming would any of you join Facebook and post privately to others who wanted to be friends from here?

I still wouldn't join, social media is drowning in jealousy, suicides and sloth.

americans ain't changin' the world, they just take pictures of it / and post it on the internet like their actually accomplishing somethin'

online social networks are just an illusion of power / who's making profit while i say goodbye in my final hour

that certainly would not accurately describe the news feed on my facebook account.......    you can make it whatever you wish by carefully picking your friends and keeping things just available to your friends.   You can even set up so that small groups of your friends can only see certain things.   Or if you want to spread the Gospel, those posts can be open to the world.   Just as in life, you have to choose your friends wisely.
Exactly! Facebook g

Holds no fears for me. I pick my friends and I control what happens. It is a useful tool.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Content Count:  55,872
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Just a small example of one of my favorite cousins post on my newsfeed

996109_625480330850729_1063998927_n.jpg

~ One day a very wealthy father took his son on a trip to the country for the sole purpose of showing his son how it was to be poor. They spent a few days and nights on the farm of what would be considered a very poor family. After their return from the trip, the father asked his son how he liked the trip. "It was great, Dad," the son replied. "Did you see how poor people can be?" the father asked. "Oh Yeah," said the son. "So what did you learn from the trip?" asked the father. The son answered, "I saw that we have one dog and they had four. We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that has no end. We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars at night. Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole horizon. We have a small piece of land to live on and they have fields that go beyond our sight. We have servants who serve us, but they serve others. We buy our food, but they grow theirs. We have walls around our property to protect us, they have friends to protect them." The boy's father was speechless. Then his son added, "It showed me how poor we are." Too many times we forget what we have and concentrate on what we don't have. What is one person's worthless object is another's prize possession. It is all based on one's perspective. Makes you wonder what would happen if we all gave thanks to God the Creator for all the bounty we have been provided by Him, instead of worrying about wanting more. ~ Take joy in all He has given each and every one of us, especially rejoice in our friends. *God bless and keep sharing the Good News !!! ~ C4C

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Everyone,

I think that it is not a big deal however an adult choose to socialize,if they enjoy talking with old friends,family or making new friends on the internet .....but I think for our youth it can be a very dangerous playground ,especially when they are without adult supervision and I really do believe it contributes to a generation that greatly lacks social skills and are becoming more & more impersonal having less experience with human interaction.........

I notice how many of my friends pre-teens & very young children would prefer to sit in front of a computer rather than go out & play!Kids do not even want to talk on the phone,they text..........I do see alot of good educational value in the world of technology but I think too many parents are using the computers & i pads and the TV,too as babysitter...."keep the kids occupied" and as a result of this the kids are becoming sort of addicted to this type of socializing?There has to be a balance of techno time & reality,just seems a little "off" to me......I don't know,just IMO

With love,in Christ-Kwik

• Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I'm kinda thinking this is a social site in many ways.

People are, generally speaking, social, so yeah, they socialize.  There is nothing wrong with that.  

Facebook is loosing ground though, because of their constant manipulations...but no worries...something else is bound to come along...ie right now, Instagram is extremely popular

The entire thing being an example of this expression:

What goes around comes around and, from the Bible, There is nothing new under the sun.

• Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

That is not my experience with social media.  A person has the experience they make.

FYI, the entire globe is posting their lives online...not just the US.  The prob with what you say, is that it demonstrates a very myopic way of thinking...the entire world is online, not just the US

That is not my experience with social media.  A person has the experience they make.

FYI, the entire globe is posting their lives online...not just the US.  The prob with what you say, is that it demonstrates a very myopic way of thinking...the entire world is online, not just the US

But there are also different types of greed and degrees of sin for each country. Yes the entire world is online, thus forming a one world government. I just happen to live in the US.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  78

I left FaceBook because of posts like this: "At the eye doctor now."  "At McDonald's now".  "At Discount Tire now w/ Bobby S."  "Going to the gym now".  Honestly, these were from my younger relatives!  My response was "Who cares" and I abandoned my account after months of reading that stuff.  What boring tripe.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,146
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1950

I would say that any time that you use your cell phone outside of your home, you are technically network socializing.  Sure, it may very well be a one on one conversation, but anyone near by is able to listen to you.  :lightbulb2:   And I see no problem with facebook either.  It is what you make it.  I have blocked friends when it is necessary.