IGNORED

So what are we to make of this new Pope?

JohnD

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,793
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

Catholics will see their judgment, need not worry.

Everyone will. Those who know Jesus will be spared. Those who dont know Jesus are in a very bad way.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  113
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/30/1994

The new pope said, "all religions are true in the hearts and the minds of those who practice them." (that quote might not be word for word). This guy is basically saying that all religion is imaginary. If you say that all religions are true then what do we make of religions that contradict one another?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

The new pope said, "all religions are true in the hearts and the minds of those who practice them." (that quote might not be word for word). This guy is basically saying that all religion is imaginary. If you say that all religions are true then what do we make of religions that contradict one another?

The second half of your quoted statement states "in the minds of those who practice them".  That would indicate that for those who practice these religions, they believe in their religion, even if they are false religions. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Please keep in mind that Worthy neither supports RCC teaching, nor does it allow RCC bashing.  Thanks!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  285
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

JohnDB quoted a of very good scripture passages, though the King James translators were "outside scripture," writing in English, a language not in the actual Bible. Then John says this:

"You add to or take away from scripture when you interpret from outside."

John, thanks for the great scripture, but I did not see any statement about "interpreting from outside." Now if we obey your rule of interpretation, "Do not intepret from outside," since that statement is not a Bible quote, we would be interpreting from outside; for you yourself are an outside-the-scripture. The interpreter is by nature outside. Do you deny the spiritual gift of teaching?

Where does scripture say "interpret from outside"? The word private does not mean "outside." I take it to mean that one does not interpret scripture out of context. Of course one important principle of interpretation is "analogy of the faith," God does not contradict Himself, and using scripture to interpret scripture is an important principle, which in no way negates considering historical context.

Edited by Atwood

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,029
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

https://archive.org/stream/WindsweptHouseAVaticanNovel/WindsweptHouse#page/n12/mode/1up

Everyone should read at least the first 50 pages of this book......   it will answer a lot of questions of things happening today.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  899
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,634
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Put another way, religion is an incurable madness of humanity and it gets in the way of truth and an actual relationship with our Creator.

This is why religion (no matter what brand) is so appealing to humanity.

The Way The Truth And The Life are alien to mankind and require us to commit to the relationship all that we hold dear (our work as priests of God and our suffering taking up our crosses and following Jesus).

Most would rather be worldly, play a religious game, make up rules as they go along, (ignore those who contradict them or make them uncomfortable in their false views) and attempt (but fail see Matthew 7:21-27) to turn even the Way of Christ into a mere exit strategy (an eternal fire insurance policy).

You want to make absolutely certain you are saved?

Study the Bible like you never have before and allow it (under the tutelage of the Author the Holy Spirit) to teach you rather than mere mortal men.

2 Peter 1:20-21 (KJV)

20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Mark 7:7-13 (KJV)

7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.

9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:

11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.

12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;

13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Psalm 138:2 (KJV)

2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

John 17:17 (KJV)

17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

1 John 2:1-6 (KJV)

1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  899
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,634
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

JohnDB quoted a of very good scripture passages, though the King James translators were "outside scripture," writing in English, a language not in the actual Bible. Then John says this:

"You add to or take away from scripture when you interpret from outside."

John, thanks for the great scripture, but I did not see any statement about "interpreting from outside." Now if we obey your rule of interpretation, "Do not intepret from outside," since that statement is not a Bible quote, we would be interpreting from outside; for you yourself are an outside-the-scripture. The interpreter is by nature outside. Do you deny the spiritual gift of teaching?

Where does scripture say "interpret from outside"? The word private does not mean "outside." I take it to mean that one does not interpret scripture out of context. Of course one important principle of interpretation is "analogy of the faith," God does not contradict Himself, and using scripture to interpret scripture is an important principle, which in no way negates considering historical context.

Thought I answered this about not going outside scripture to interpret scripture... apparently not, my bad.

2 Peter 1:20-21 (KJV)

20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Acts 17:11 (KJV)

11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Otherwise you end up with baseless "truth" which is no truth at all. And traditions of (you name it) which are facades of the traditions of men (i.e. Church tradition, denominational tradition, cultic traditions, catechisms, papal decrees, papal bulls, statements of faith, so-called apostles creeds**... on and on they are all only the traditions of men).

** "I believe in God the Father creator of Heaven and Earth..." wrong! God the Word is the lone creator in the beginning (John 1:1-3, Colossians 1:13-16, Isaiah 44:24 "alone / by myself") This is how the Bible could truly say Jesus is the ONLY BEGOTTEN of the Father (John 1:14 / Hebrews 10:5 / Hebrews 1:5) and the rest of the "son / sons of God" verses throughout scripture refer to sons / sons of God THE WORD.

Mark 7:7-13 (KJV)

7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.

9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:

11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.

12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;

13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Nullifying the Word of God.

John 17:17 (KJV)

17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

Psalm 138:2 (KJV)

2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

Why would anyone want to interpret truth / scripture through any other means than scripture?