Pamelasv

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

16)  And He spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully.

17)  And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?

18)  And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.

19)  And I will say to my soul.  Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.

20)  But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?

21)  So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.

Luke 12:16-21

This parable that Jesus tells is of a man who chases after earthly treasure, but never seek anything of God's Kingdom.  All this man care about was his earthly riches, and never gave a thought to the things of God.  He never gave to the needy, Matthew 10:42; James 2:14-17; I John 3:16-18.  This is why Paul tells us the love of money is the root of all evil, I Timothy 6:10.  A person who loves money that must cannot love and serve God, also; Matthew 6:19-21.  But we can also seek heaven by not only our money, but also giving our time, and strength, and ability to God's business, Matthew 9:36-38

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

Matthew 6:33 -Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you.

The things of this world will not last forever they will perish and we ourselves will not live forever in this life as one day we will die a physical death if the Lord tarries.  So therefore we should set our affections on things above which are eternal everlasting things that will never perish.  Because moth, rust and decay shall not be over in gloryland.  Many people build and lay up in this life only,  without having any thought of their life after death.  We should be concerned about building a home in heaven also as the things of this earth grow strangely dim in our walk with the Lord.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

And what does that look like to you?  You answered my question with my question.

I believe Oakwood answered your question quite sufficiantly, Pamela, how was his reply a question. Just sayin. :-)

God bless you.

• Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

God bless you.

And thou! :laughing:

[smiley's, I'm on the old desktop.]

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Pamelasv.

The two verses you quote must be read in context with the next two verses below, in order to be fully understood.

Col 3:3 For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 
Col 3:4 When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. 

Every blessing.

Edwin.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

Pamelasv.

The two verses you quote must be read in context with the next two verses below, in order to be fully understood.

Col 3:4 When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. 

Every blessing.

Edwin.

Well, yes, but that still doesnt explain HOW you set your mind on things above.  Obvoiusly it is easy to set our minds on the earth since we live in it. See it touch it, etc.  Probably set your mind on doing what you know is God's will for you in this life, and doing your good works, knowing your treasure is in heaven.  Trying to be transformed into His character thru reading and meditating on His Word, how you can apply it to what is currently going on in your life and the people who you relate to. 

Edited by Pamelasv

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Pamelasv.

Every blessing.

Edwin.

Well, yes, but that still doesnt explain HOW you set your mind on things above.  Obvoiusly it is easy to set our minds on the earth since we live in it. See it touch it, etc.  Probably set your mind on doing what you know is God's will for you in this life, and doing your good works, knowing your treasure is in heaven.  Trying to be transformed into His character thru reading and meditating on His Word, how you can apply it to what is currently going on in your life and the people who you relate to. 

Love them

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,200
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Pamelasv,

I do love your questions -  `How you set your mind on things above.` I am reminded of these scriptures in James.

`Who among you is wise & understanding? Let him show by his good behaviour his deeds in gentleness of wisdom.

But if you have bitter jealousy & selfish ambition in your heart, do not be arrogant & so lie against the truth. This wisdom is not that which comes down from above, but is earthly, natural, demonic. For where jealousy & selfish ambition exist, there is disorder & every evil thing.

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy & good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.`  (James 3: 13 - 18)

There is a lot of good meat in there to help set our minds on things above - God`s wisdom & what it looks like......

Edited by Marilyn C

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

Our hearts are where our treasures are. Seek the Kingdom of God and His righteousness. Do the works of God--feed the hungry the Word of God as well as food and clean water, and the means of earning a living. Make disciples. Love and forgive as a living epistle.. Be a friend to widows and orphans.

Amen Willimina where are treasure is there will your heart be also.  Just as my sister said and the Word, Seek first the Kingdom of God and all these thing will be added unto you.  Keep your eye on the right prize, Jesus and His plan for your life.  

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Thank you Pamelasv For your comments.

Perhaps the following will be of help.

A universal problem with Christians is. How can I live the normal Christian life, as God wants me to ?

The answer is to find out how Jesus as a "man" some 2000 years ago, lived a life that was well pleasing to His Father.

It was not Jesus who performed the miracles, and preached the truth, but God the Father who dwelt inside Him (John Ch 14 v 10).

Jesus did it this way, because it is the only way in which you and I can do it. Remember "Christ in you the hope of glory".

When Jesus came to earth some 2000 years ago, He not only came to offer Himself as a sinless sacrifice to pay for our sins, and thus enable God to forgive as many as will accept this fact. But also to demonstrate by His life just how we humans were, and are intended by our Father God to behave towards the one who made us in His own image, and after His likeness, the Lord our God.

By His life, I mean the attitude of, "Not My will, but thine be done", that Jesus continually adopted towards His Father, thus enabling the Father who indwelt the Son, to be both seen, and heard.

The Father communicated Himself through the body of the man Jesus to all people with whom He came into contact at that time, and through Scripture now to us.

This is the reason why you, if you are a Christian are indwelt by the Holy Spirit, in order that you might allow the other resident within yourself to have right of way in your life, and to do just what He wants to do in and through you.

Apply that same method of, "Not My will, but thine be done", to yourself, and you will find out how to overcome the problem you have.. Now read Phil Ch 2 verses 5-13. Also in John's Gospel, Ch 1 v 18. Ch 5 verses 19, &  30. Ch 11 verses 41b & 42. Acts Ch 2 v 22, and best of all, John Ch 14 verses 9 & 10, Then ask yourself why is it that Jesus who is both God and man is doing things this way, and you will be told "Because it is the only way that you can do it".

Jesus also said,

Jhn 15:3 "You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you.
Jhn 15:4 "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
Jhn 15:5 "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.

Note "without Me you can do nothing"

Why do you suppose that Paul said

Gal 2:20 "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Phl 1:21 For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain

Col 1:27 To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which* is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Gal 4:19 My little children, for whom I labor in birth again until Christ is formed in you,

There is only one person in this whole universe who can live the Christian life to perfection,,, that person lives inside you, and that's why Jesus said what He said at,

Jhn 14:10 "Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works.

Note: "the Father who dwells in Me does the works".

Ask Him in prayer, why He did things this way, and He will tell you as He told me many years ago, "Because it's the only way you can do it".

Every blessing.

Edwin.

Edited by Edwin