IGNORED

Do Jews Tithes Today? Should Christians?

firestormx

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

I do think that Christians should be encouraged to support their church financially.   in so many churches, only 10-15% give financially to their congregation and that limits the scope and quality of ministry a church can participate in.    Churches have to pay light and utilities and trash bills, and they have to pay insurance and that money doesn't fall out of the sky. 

Those who are offended when their pastor preaches on money and the need for good stewardship of money, especially if he mentions the need to support the local church, are showing where their heart is.  People don't want to give and shoulder any of the burden, but expect churches to have ministries and activities galore.   That just isn't fair.

Do you think that when Paul and that church ( I forget which one ) gave to the Jerusalem church because of there need is a good example of what your talking about?

Guest shiloh357

Yes, I think so.   They had just had a massive famine in Judea and Paul was raising money to bring them some relief.   But never forget your own congregation.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Yes, I think so.   They had just had a massive famine in Judea and Paul was raising money to bring them some relief.   But never forget your own congregation.

Thank you for letting me pick your brain a little. I enjoyed reading your thoughts

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

Just to add to the article in the posted link for Judaism.

The article is 100% correct that Jewish people do not tithe as the tithe was paid to the Levites at the Temple.

While some in some synagogues, Jewish people pay for seats, with the better seats costing more, in other synagogues, a membership dues is collected. The membership dues are on sliding scale, based on ability to pay. This alternate method was so that the rich would not always have the preferred seats and the poor in the least desirable seats.

Judaism teaches that charity is an obligation for Jewish people. The Jewish people are, as a group, some of the largest donors to charities per capita. Giving charity is considered a 'good deed'/mitzvah. So while synagogues are supported by dues, and additional needs such as construction is by specific donations, most of the giving is to charities. 

Just some added comments. On the Sabbath, the law says to do not work, and carrying is considered a work. Orthodox Jews do not carry money on the Sabbath, so there are no baskets passed for donations. All donations or dues are done on other days. Other branches of Judaism, which do not strictly follow the law also do not collect money on the Sabbath. And also for clarification. There is no law in the Mosaic law which requires gathering together for weekly services. Synagogues are not part of the law and were a post-Babylonian exhile addition to Judaism. So, there is no law concerning services on the Sabbath. In Judaism, it is not a sin to fail to attend services. Attending services is considered a good deed, but failure to attend is not a sin. Actually, the traditional service is a series of prayers, which can be done at home. More people attend services for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur. Some synagogues are so packed that seats are hard to come by. Many synagogues will charge a fee for non-members for any extra seat on these high holy days (except for college students who are not attending college close enough to home to attend their families synagogue).    

• Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

Christians are not under the law and give as God leads them....more to cover the one who can only give little but the Jews who have not accepted Jesus as Lord and Saviour tithe because they are under the Law.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,117
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

I've been doing some study on tithes and I am beginning to think Christians should not tithe. The Old testament say only a Levite could accept the tithes. Also it says if I'm not mistaken that there has to be a temple in Jerusalem for tithes to be required. There is no teaching changing this in the New testament that I am aware of. So why does everyone teach we have to pay tithes if even the Jews don't pay tithes right now?

I was hoping someone could explain this for me. Also I am putting a link down below to an example of some of the articles I've been reading in addition to the reading and studying the bible and prayer.

Acts 5:4 “While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? ...

2 Cor. 9:7 So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.

As Shiloh has said, tithing is not commanded for the Church in the NT. Under the Law, it was a commandment; under grace, it is not; for we are to be led in our heart by the Holy Spirit, not by compulsion.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

What we need to do is follow what He places on our heart.  No more, no less.  God knows what is the right thing to do.

Thanks for the response. Do you believe there is a right and wrong teaching on this subject ?

I don't hold to any teaching on tithing. Jesus instructed us to give from the heart, not from the demands of any body. I have given both more and less than a tithe and never felt guilt.  Let each person give according to what the Lord places on their heart.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

If you feel to give, give. It's a personal, heart thing.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

I've been doing some study on tithes and I am beginning to think Christians should not tithe. The Old testament say only a Levite could accept the tithes. Also it says if I'm not mistaken that there has to be a temple in Jerusalem for tithes to be required. There is no teaching changing this in the New testament that I am aware of. So why does everyone teach we have to pay tithes if even the Jews don't pay tithes right now?

You are correct in your understanding of the tithe.  It was connected with the offerings of Israel as well as the Levitical Priesthood.  With the destruction of the Temple, the tithe from Israel was also nullified.

Christ and His apostles taught "CHRISTIAN LIBERALITY" instead.  That is based on the principle that the Holy Spirit will lead the believer to first of all give everything over to God (e.g. the Widow's Mite), and then to base his or her giving on New Testament teaching, which is found primarily in 1 Corinthians 16 and 2 Corinthians 8:1-9:15.  Christian giving is based on the spiritual gifts of love and liberality, and is considered a "spiritual sacrifice".  Based on this some Christians could give 90-99% to the Lord.

Why do so many churches teach tithing? Because they follow the traditions of men rather than the Word of God, forgetting that the Law of Moses has been superseded by the Law of Christ.

There is also the other aspect of how the offerings are used (or abused).  Once again, the Bible basis for applying these gifts has been largely replaced by "humanistic" ideas, and there is no doubt that a large portion of the offerings of Christians are abused.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

Personally, I think it is often preached because people don't give enough to not only cover church expenses but a pastors salary as well which is mentioned several times in the new testement. 'Those who preach the gospel should get their living from the gospel' (My paraphrase because I don't know where it is at the moment). I believe in tithing and the testimonies of people who 'tested' it. I tested it, and it worked for me.