• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  395
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

What is the Word of God? Truth.

Discernment rings the bell of Truth in our heart.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

There is a distction between the word of God .... and the Word of God.

lower case word of God is the written word. ... and upper case Word of God is Jesus Christ.

There are exactly 7 scripture references to the Word of God. All referring to Jesus.   (in the KJV - can't speak for modern versions)

all references to word of God are referring to the written word.

I thought that was neat.. I only learned that about a year or so ago... Most people will write Word of God everytime when referencing thw written word to just be reverent

common mistake as i see it now but there is a clear distiction i believe..

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Almost all the Jews in Israel during Jesus' time could read and write, and most had a knowledge of the Old Testament which almost NO ONE has today.  The Pharisees ran free public educations for boys and girls from ages 5 to 12.  They MEMORIZED the entire Old Testament, as well as studying history, geography etc.  They were the best educated people in the Roman empire.  The average 12 year old kid in Galilee was better educated than Caesar.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  358
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

Jesus read from scripture: Luke 4:16-17

16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,

KJV

Guest Butero

At the time, the Word of God was the entire Old Testament, as well as the words being given to the church by divine revelation.  The Bible was still being written through people like Paul, Peter, James and John.  Today, we have the entire Word of God, and it is what is referred to as the Biblical canon consisting of 66 books that make up the Holy Bible. 

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

Amen Hippie... the Word of God was that God is with us, (Emmanuel). 

Christ preached that the Kingdom of God was/is at hand.

(Nice thread Seyi).

Amen... and it will never change.  Very plain and easy to understand. 

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Actually, you are wrong.   The "Word of God"  IS the Bible, the apostsle  referred to the Old Testament as the Word of God.  The Bible in the Old Testament calls itself the Word of God in numerous places.

Jesus is the living Word of God, as well.  He is personification of the message of the prophets.  He is the substance of all of the OT Scriptures.   The New Testament refers to the Gospel as the Word of God as well.

I might be wrong, but as i know... there was no 'Bible' until later when the old testament was trimmed down and the letters and gospels (new testament) were added.

Not sure you understand the question fully, but i really appreciate your opinion. 

Thanks.

The Old Testament was never trimmed down in the Masoretic Text.  It consisted of the Law, the Prophets, the "writings, in scroll form.  The law, the first 4 books, was memorized by most Jewish boys to my understanding.  

The Greek translation, a couple of hundred years later, added to the writings.  The book of Mark was also available since early times, the 40s AD, and a portion was found among the Dead Sea Scrolls.  Peter refers to the writings of Paul.  Most of these epistles were widely circulated and the Greek people made copies for themselves of the Gospels and the letters.  

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Have any of you read the apocryphal books? I always wondered how bad they were. I guess as a child I had this silly fear of them...akin to the warning mom would give about not sticking metal in the microwave. I never thought I would be struck down as a heretic just by looking at them but it is about as appealing as poking about with a black widow.

I have read portions of them.  Luther considered them good to read but not good for basing Doctrine.  So just consider them prose and poetry, or even like a religious novel, but not the inspired word of God.  

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

There is a distinction between the word of God .... and the Word of God....

lower case word of God is the written word....

and upper case Word of God is Jesus Christ.....

There are exactly 7 scripture references to the Word of God. All referring to Jesus....  

(in the KJV - can't speak for modern versions)....

all references to word of God are referring to the written word....

I thought that was neat....

I only learned that about a year or so ago....

Most people will write Word of God every-time....

when referencing the written word to just be reverent....

common mistake as i see it now but there is a clear distinction i believe....

?

Beloved,

I bow down toward your holy temple and give thanks to your name for your steadfast love and your faithfulness, for you have exalted above all things your name and your word. Psalm 138:2 (ESV)

The Holy Word Of God

So shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:11 (ESV)

Just To Be

For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. Hebrews 4:12 (ESV)

Reverent

Since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God; for “All flesh is like grass and all its glory like the flower of grass. The grass withers, and the flower falls, but the word of the Lord remains forever.” And this word is the good news that was preached to you. 1 Peter 1:23-25 (ESV)

~

There is one who accuses you: Moses, on whom you have set your hope. For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?” John 5:45-47 (ESV)

All your words are true; all your righteous laws are eternal. Psalms 119:160 (NIV)

The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers.

Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, practice it to be holy.

It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler’s map, the pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword, and the Christian’s character.

Here Paradise is restored, Heaven opened, and the gates of hell disclosed.

CHRIST is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end.

It should fill the memory, rule the heart, and guide the feet.

Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully.

It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure.

It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgment and will be remembered forever.

It Involves the highest responsibility, will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

From The Front Of My Gideon New Testament