IGNORED

What does "having dominion" over women really mean?

jmldn2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

If you want to find out how this works, then attend one of these weekends....     I can promise you won't go home the same, even if you are not having problems at home.

http://www.familylife.com/WeekendToRemember

Is it Christian?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

If you want to find out how this works, then attend one of these weekends....     I can promise you won't go home the same, even if you are not having problems at home.

http://www.familylife.com/WeekendToRemember

Is it Christian?

Our History

Back in 1975, one of the leaders for Campus Crusade for Christ arrived at a planning meeting with a heavy burden on her heart. Ney Bailey had recently counseled several Crusade staff couples whose marriages were crumbling. “We’ve got to do something to help the marriages and families of our staff,” she told the group. And then, to their surprise and to hers, she laid her head on the table and sobbed.

Perhaps it took the tears of this single staff woman to get something done. Soon after, in 1976, Campus Crusade created a “Marriage Preparation and Family Emphasis” ministry to train Crusade's engaged couples in how to build solid marriages according to God’s blueprints.

Little did we know what God would do in the decades which followed. From a ministry which initially only ministered to Campus Crusade staff members it was quickly realized that this ministry was needed for all marriages and families. In the early 80's, attendance to FamilyLife's Weekend to Remember® marriage conferences and HomeBuilder Couples Series® bible studies grew tremendously around the country. Then the FamilyLife Today® radio broadcast launched in 1992 to reach millions of couples with daily encouragement and biblical advice. The late 90's brought multiplied ministry through arena events called, "I Still Do™". And today thousands of couples have been ministered through The Art of Marriage® video event which launched in 2011.

Now, FamilyLife® is a multi-faceted ministry to families, with marriage events, radio programs, a growing international outreach, and dozens of books, Bible studies, and other practical resources, all helping to grow biblical marriages and families.

FamilyLife’s history is not a testament to the visions and ambitions of man. Instead we feel God’s favor has been abundantly upon us. And we’ve tried to remain faithful to His leading.

Check out the timeline below to see some of the milestones along the way.

Timeline

• The Marriage Preparation and Family Emphasis is formed for the staff of Campus Crusade to equip engaged couples (and those contemplating marriage) for marriage. Only Crusade staff are allowed to attend.

• Original pre–marriage conferences open to married couples and then to the public.
  • Keystone Kaper launches in Colorado, beginning 10 years of communicating God’s relationship plan for singles.
  • First international Family Life Conferences held in Johannesburg, South Africa, and Nairobi, Kenya .

• Name changes to Family Ministry.
  • Gordon and Pat Wegner are so moved by the Family Life Conference they voluntarily begin printing conference manuals free in their basement. During a crucial four-year period, their volunteer efforts saved the ministry more than $50,000.

• “A Weekend to Remember” is first used as the tagline to describe a Family Ministry Conference.
  • Family Life Conferences expand to new cities as volunteers fuel attendance and invite other couples.
  • Contributions allow 532 pastors and wives to attend conferences on a scholarship basis.

• Conference content enhanced and new manual created.

• A Family Life Conference in Dallas, TX, sets an attendance record at 2,950.
  • Dennis and Barbara Rainey publish their first book, Building Your Mate’s Self-Esteem.
  • $36,000 is raised in 36 hours to create the video/film version of the conference presentation.

• Responding to customer requests, the first study in the HomeBuiders Couples Series® is published. Building Your Marriage allows group leaders to pass on the content from the Family Life Conference in small groups; over 15,000 copies distributed in the first six months.
  • First video conference held in Olney, IL.

• Dennis Rainey is a special guest of the Focus on the Family broadcast, with host,  James Dobson, gaining worldwide exposure for Family Ministry.

• First Urban Family Conference held in Harlem with guest speakers Crawford and Karen Loritts addressing 400 attendees.
  • Raineys publish Staying Close, which is later awarded the Gold Medallion award, highest Christian publishing honor.

• “Family to Family” launched in Barcelona, Spain with Campus Crusade Spanish ministry directors, Victor and Cesca Miron. Our partnership with Crusade eventually spreads to dozens of countries overseas.
  • Building Your Mate’s Self-Esteem video curriculum developed and presented to more than 2,000 churches.

• Family Life Parenting Conference piloted in Dallas and Cincinnati.
  • Our new daily radio program, FamilyLife Today®, goes live on November 9th on 22 stations.  Over the next 10 months it spreads to 50 stations with more than 200,000 listeners.

• Official name changes to FamilyLife.
  • The Family Manifesto is published with clear statements on what the Bible says about marriage and family.

• Resurrection Eggs®, a resource for parents to teach the true meaning of Easter, launches.
  • Raineys publish Moments Together for Couples, which becomes a non-fiction Christian bestseller.

• Website goes live: familylife-ccc.org.
  • FamilyLife Today is awarded “Radio Program Producer of the Year” from National Religious Broadcasters.

• FamilyLife Today listeners fund “Jesus Loves Me” project providing 54,000 sets of Resurrection Eggs to urban ministries.
  • Passport2Purity® is published to help parents teach biblical principles on sexual purity to their pre-teen children.
  • I Still Do™ marriage celebration arena events launch.

• The HomeBuilders Couples Series passes one million in sales.

• The FamilyLife Marriage Conference, now called a Weekend to Remember®, surpasses one million conference guests.
  • The Family Room monthly e-magazine launches.

• Hope for Orphans® is formed to promote adoption and orphan care.
  • FamilyLife moves in to a new facility debt free.

• Largest Weekend to Remember in Dallas, TX with 3,330 attendees.

• What God Wants for Christmas® kit launches.

• LifeReady® curriculum launches.
  • Vida En Familia Hoy™, the Spanish version of FamilyLife Today, begins broadcasting in Quito, Ecuador, and is broadcast to 17 countries.
  • MomLife Today launches as momblog.

• First Love Like You Mean It™ cruise sets sail.
  • The Art of Marriage® video event launches nationwide in thousands of churches.
  • Weekend to Remember® translated into Mandarin and approved for sale by the Chinese government

• Stepping Up™ 1-day video event for men launches.
  • Ever Thine Home initial launch
  • Initiative to minister intentionally to blended families begins
  • Passport2Purity version 3 launches

• Stepping Up™ 10-week video series launches

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

I am sure glad you are not my husband

Since butero has given the correct interpretation of Scripture regarding this matter, what you are saying is that you reject the biblical teaching on headship and submission, and you would impose your own personal ideas by suggesting a 50-50 partnership.  "Faith" means believing God even though your flesh rebels against His principles.

Okay who says that butero is correct? What makes him the expert on scripture? I think I know a thing or two about scripture and a thing or two about being married. (17 years last week by the way thank you very much) Love my friend! Love is the answer. I do for my husband because I love him. Not because I am order to do so. But because I love him. And he loves me as well. All of the Bible is about love.

Edited by LadyKay

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

Since butero has given the correct interpretation of Scripture regarding this matter, what you are saying is that you reject the biblical teaching on headship and submission, and you would impose your own personal ideas by suggesting a 50-50 partnership.  "Faith" means believing God even though your flesh rebels against His principles.

Okay who says that butero is correct? What makes him the expert on scripture? I think I know a thing or two about scripture and a thing or two about being married. (17 years last week by the way thank you very much) Love my friend! Love is the answer. I do for my husband because I love him. Not because I am order to do so. But because I love him. And he loves me as well. All of the Bible is about love.

That is the way to approach it.Not for the man to think he has some big "Man" advantage over the woman.That just does not make for a healthy Christian marriage.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

The submission of the wife to the husband Ephesians 5 does not allow the husband to be selfish or domineering or use his wife as a doormat.When a wife is loved by her husband as the Church is loved by Christ submission is not difficult Ephesians 5:24.There should be mutual love and respect on both sides.A couple can also use a 50/50 partnership within the God given marriage.

There was nothing in butero's post about a husband being selfish, domineering, or using his wife as a doormat. You are failing to acknowledge the spiritual principle of headship. God the Father is the Head of Christ, Christ is the Head of the Church, and the husband is the head of the wife. This is a Bible doctrine.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

I think a lot of what Paul wrote was letters meant for the men and women he was dealing with at the time he wrote them. Perhaps there was something going on some kind of argument going among the newly formed Christians that Paul, being their leader felt the need to give them this bit of instruction. (I do not think Paul was ever married by the way) Anyway, it seems to me from reading the stories about Jesus, that Jesus treated men and women as equals. Whenever I read the parts of the Bible written by Paul, I keep in mind that he lived in a different time and in a different place then I do. That the customs of his time were much different then the ones of my time. And I feel this needs to be consider for true understanding.

My 2 cents thank you very much!

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

I like your two cents Lady Kay.  

I find the people who use the Patriarchs of the OT as an example of how women should act are missing the boat.   I also wonder where their other wives and concubines are.  If the women are supposed to emulate those women then the men should too.

if a man is loving and treating his wife as Jesus does the church, why in the world would a woman not let him alone and let him be the head/leader of their relationship/home.

I can answer that for you, O.O.  Some men are simply poor decision makers, poor authoritarians and poor stewards of resources.  Some women are all of those things too, of course.  But my point is that sometimes a husband may be a good man but be unable or unwilling to make good decisions for a family and the wife has no option except to take on those things herself.

I think compromise is in order here.There should not be a partner in a marriage that wants to put their thumb on the other spouse.It is a 50/50 partnership with God #1 in your marriage.Most marriages will survive if they genuinely have God in the driver's seat of their relationship.

It is not a 50-50 partnership according to scripture, and I gave a lot to back up my position.  The husband is the ruler in his home, period.  That even applies to husbands who may be doing a poor job.  Certainly he can delegate authority to the wife, and if he is wise and is weak in areas she is strong, it makes good sense to do so, but he doesn't have to.  I do think it is smart to try to reach agreement wherever possible, but if it cannot be reached, the husband has the final say.  The only exceptions would be if he is demanding his wife sin.  The reason why he doesn't have the authority to do that is because Christ is over the husband, and we have Biblical examples of where someone was told to sin and they refused to obey decrees from their authorities.  Daniel and the three Hebrew children come to mind, as well as the disciples who were warned not to preach in Jesus' name.  They all obeyed those who had the rule over them until there was a conflict with God's laws.  That is how I can say the wives are to obey their husbands in everything, as scripture states, but not to commit sin if that is what he asks her to do. 

I am sure glad you are not my husband :huh:.

I wouldn't want to be.  I happen to believe the Bible, while you apparently don't.  I would be unequally yoked. 

The submission of the wife to the husband Ephesians 5 does not allow the husband to be selfish or domineering or use his wife as a doormat.When a wife is loved by her husband as the Church is loved by Christ submission is not difficult Ephesians 5:24.There should be mutual love and respect on both sides.A couple can also use a 50/50 partnership within the God given marriage.

I gave you scripture that shows that even if the husband is an unbeliever, the wife is supposed to submit to him.  What are you basing your comments on?